Forecast for LG's current quarter includes a new company record for smartphone sales
For LG, this is uncharted territory. The company has never before sold as many as 5 million smartphones in a month, with the previous record being the 4.4 million units it sold in Q4 2013. Analysts believe that 60 million is the magic number needed to put LG's mobile operations in the black for the year. Thanks to high marketing costs (mostly to challenge Apple and Samsung), LG's mobile division reported a $42 million operating loss for the fourth quarter of last year.
LG has been churning out models to cover most price points. The LG "L" and "F" series cover the low to mid-range areas of the market, and is where LG is picking up much of its sales. But for the company to remain a major smartphone producer, it still needs to offer top-shelf models for the U.S. and other developed markets. The LG G2 was one of our selections for 2013's Best Smartphone and the LG G3 is rumored to be a Samsung Galaxy S5 killer. The 5.5 inch screen on the handset is expected to offer 1440 x 2560 QHD resolution, a fingerprint scanner and will be waterproof and dustproof. The Samsung Galaxy S5 has many of these features, except for the QHD screen, which is apparently expected to carry out this phone-icide. Speculation has the LG G3 getting unveiled next month, which could allow it to be launched in time to contribute to the current quarter's earnings.
source: YonhapNewsAgency via CNET
16. LGisgood (Posts: 792; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
LG G3 will be the MOST WATCHED Smartphone !
G3 WILL KILL ALL SMARTPHONE on the markets!
2. ihavenoname (Posts: 1581; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
When talking about sales, does Nexus 5 count as LG or Google device?
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Well, Nexus 5 is made by LG and branded by Google...So, that would be vice versa I guess, both share the money they earned.
3. ThreeFourSeven (Posts: 34; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
And people say only Samsung can be successful using Android. *shrugs shoulder*
10. jellmoo (Posts: 818; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
To be fair, they are still in the red. To just break even, they need to continue having a record month of 5 million devices sold for every month of the year.
Can they do it? I hope so. I'm not the biggest fan of LG products, but more competition is absolutely better for the industry. But at this point, Samsung remains the only manufacturer making any real profits from Android sales.
17. LGisgood (Posts: 792; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
LG IS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER....
RANKED 3RD IN SMARTPHONE SALES WORLDWIDE!
19. jellmoo (Posts: 818; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
3rd is nice, but doesn't do you much good if you aren't making a profit and are still bleeding money.
Market share without profitability doesn't give you success. They need to focus on improving their ROI and pick their battles a little better.
29. refillable (Posts: 831; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Without an evidence this would be a BS.
23. DigitalJedi_X (unregistered)
Actually, LG made a profit last quarter. It was small, but profit is profit.
12. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
if only the up LG3 has metal or aluminuim surely it would sell more and im really looking forward to ODIN A15 SOCS
6. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Don't mess with LG, Samsung, you don't even think about messing with the Lucky Goldstar. LG is going up...keep it up, LG!
7. lee480 (Posts: 196; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
What's the point of selling so many phones if LG Mobile is not making profits unlike Sony Mobile or Samsung?
8. Edward_bly (Posts: 255; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
LG doesn't give up, and they're getting better and better. Their profits in the mobile market are increasing as well.
13. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
SONY HTC LG will take shares away from plastic samsung
18. LGisgood (Posts: 792; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
do you not see ? LG is getting better
sony is starting to go down........
Sony sold 10.8M last quarter of 2013 now its just lessthan 10M smartphone sold...
samsung is also going down...4.3%
LG is RISING! SOON TO BE THE #1
SONY is not spending too much money for ADVERTISING so they got more profits than LG !
LG spent too much money for '' G'' series and the are now little by little gaining POPULARITY and soon to earn more good profits......
21. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
ALL THE BEST AND GOOD LUCK TO THERE NEW lg3
and to see timely updates
24. pyradark (Posts: 802; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
sony is starting to go down........
LG sold 12M unit with 2.4 Billion
Sony sold 10M unit with 4.6 Billion
Sony maybe bleeding money due to Vaio and motion pictures, still in mobile division they are way higher than LG. thanks to their premium pricing and still people are buying it!!!
26. LGisgood (Posts: 792; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
YES! Sony got a bit better profits than LG during 4th quarter of 2013!
just because SONY didn't spent BIG MONEY for advertising!
LG spent more money than Sony in advertising for G2 !
THEY SOLD MORE LOW & MID RANGER SMARTPHONE for CHEAPER PRICE RANGE...
BUT STILL THEY GAINED PROFITS AND THEY BECOMING EVEN BETTER........
SONY IS GOING DOWN.... Z1 DIDN'T SELL GREAT!
AFTER Viao & Motion Picture
SONY WILL ALSO SELL PLAYSTATION ...
and yes This quarter Sony sold LESS Smartphone compare to Last quarter of 2013!
27. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
there vaio laptops are better than apples macbook air and there laptops which apple copied sonys vaio zseries
25. Professor (Posts: 200; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
My prior phone was a Sony. My current phone is an LG Nexus. My next phone hopefully going to be another LG... I like the LG GPro2 but I don't like its LG bloatware. Waiting for the LG Nexus 6...
22. wargreymon (Posts: 358; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
Because they can survive it while they build up reputation and get satisfied customers. LG makes more than just phones, so if you are happy with your phone you might buy a LG TV, dishwasher or robot vaccuum cleaner etc. Also if those who are happy reccomend their friends to buy, which is free advertisment. After a while they have a stronger brand and sell more than they advertise for.
9. Imaxxacre (Posts: 61; Member since: 23 Aug 2009)
I currently own a Galaxy S3, but I really wanna see LG get more market share. And a better Android UI.
14. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
if you dont like the ui why dont you download launchers by apex and many otherds,,,,
11. asingha94 (Posts: 294; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
lg!!go go!!proud to be a lgg owner!!waiting for g3
15. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
love the avatar
waiting for lg3 to
28. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Call it the Nexus Effect.
Work closely with Google for a bit, then skyrocket into Android relevance and, eventually, profitability.