The next iPhone could feature aluminum back instead of glass, and have the antenna move in
The reasons cited are the weight of the glass, its tendency to scratch and crack easily, as well as the enormous difficulties Apple encountered in painting it reliably in white. Another change in store for the next iPhone is said to be the antenna steel band surrounding the current iPhone 4, which might be moved back inside now, considering all the issues Cupertino had with the "death grip" and reception.
All valid points, although it will be a shame to bail on such a unique steel-and-glass design. Furthermore, considering the number of rumors about both a cheaper iPhone, and one with a larger screen, it is not entirely clear which one the source is referring to.
The Japanese Mac blog that spread the word links to a supply chain analysis they have cited before, which refers to the next iPhone, but it's not the one that mentions the back panel swap and antenna redesign, so the original source is still to be excavated, if you know Chinese. The Japanese from Macotakara have also sketched up a pretty weak mock-up of what such an iPhone might look like.
What do you think, just another unsubstantiated rumor, wishful thinking, or laws of physics?
source: EDN (translated) & Macotakara via MacRumors
1. protozeloz posted on 07 Mar 2011, 06:33 3 2
No offence but Looks similar to a 3G/3GS buts really thin i still like the IP4 shape
11. Fanboys Suck posted on 07 Mar 2011, 12:02 1 1
The original iPhone had metal backing... you are right, looks like a 3G mixed with the original...
12. remixfa posted on 07 Mar 2011, 12:44 1 1
if its true, it just proves how much of a real life fail the iphone4 really was that they went backwards in design. What a bunch of panzies. They get bruised by a bad design choice and run back to the original. BLAAAH.
"Iphone5, just like the iphone 3, exept now with aluminum!" wooo hooo!!!
14. JeffdaBeat posted on 07 Mar 2011, 13:41 1 2
...I doubt that's going to happen. We've seen these mock ups before. Hell, we saw a mockup just a few days before the iPad 2 came out that was completely wrong.
I could see the aluminum back happening. They seem to be moving away from the plastic shell in most of their products. Plus, I still think making the back glass was a mistake on something as mobile as a cell phone. Just more chances for cracks.
19. Droid_X_Doug posted on 07 Mar 2011, 18:06 1 1
I think you will see something more like the iPhone 4 form factor (square edges) with everything metal behind the screen. Remember, Apple has an exclusive for the consumer electronics market for the LiquidMetal patents (http://www.crunchgear.com/2010
4. Knowurplace (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 07:43 1 1
No flash on camera? Did they try to make this look legitimate?
6. calamazoo (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 07:52 3 1
Nah, the Japanese blog just took the back of an ipod touch and slapped a white iPhone front to give us an idea what might be coming... this is not the real deal, of course.
7. Sniggly posted on 07 Mar 2011, 08:41 3 1
Lol. "The design sucks because of all the technical issues it causes, but we don't want them to ditch it because it LOOKS PRETTY!" Basically what Phonearena is saying.
8. AndroidTroll posted on 07 Mar 2011, 11:17 2 3
They should attach a dildo on the back so you can get it up the ass while dropping calls!
9. jgcaap posted on 07 Mar 2011, 11:35 1 3
i would prefer the phone for gaming instead of ataching a dildo =P
16. AndroidTroll posted on 07 Mar 2011, 14:58 0 1
yeah but the dildo might make for an ergonomic non slip grip while gaming!
10. skymitch89 posted on 07 Mar 2011, 11:43 0 1
They will probably use that new antenna design where the Apple Logo is the main point for the antenna. Aluminum backing? Wouldn't that make it almost like the other iPhones, pre-iPhone 4?
13. cellgeek82 posted on 07 Mar 2011, 12:53 0 1
For those criticizing the pic, I doubt that's the real prototype. You know how secret Apple is, they're not going to allow the iPhone 5 to be pictured on the net. This is just a sample of what it MAY look like.
15. yeah1 (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 14:04 0 1
Apples' products follow the design cues from the latest introductions; as they have always done. They might follow the theme of the iPad 2; which is highly possible considering a consistent design policy and cost feasibility.
17. therygy posted on 07 Mar 2011, 16:14 0 1
i loved the design of the iphone 5. this sucks. I have the atrix right now and im returning it it sucks, so im waiting for the next iphone with all the rumors about it going to have a bigger screen. If it looks like this, im not buying it.
18. therygy posted on 07 Mar 2011, 16:15 0 1
i meant to say "i loved the design of the iphone 4" not 5.. sorry.
20. Gallo (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 18:38 0 2
There is no way this is the new iphone, looks exactly like a 3g/3gs. plus i dont see a face time camera as well as no flash on the rear camera
21. scnix posted on 07 Mar 2011, 19:23 0 1
Wouldn't an aluminium case interfere with the internal antenna?
22. themadhatter (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 19:31 0 1
FULL METAL JACKET!!
23. luis_lopez_351 posted on 07 Mar 2011, 19:47 1 0
-__- thats a fake picture!!! thats just a white iphone 3gs with iphone4 menu/user Interface (?) and it cant be an iphone5...wheres the front facing cam, the promised bigger screen, buttonless face, 16 mp cam and flash???
25. philly2723 (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 20:34 0 1
its not a 3gs, its the ipad 2, and the front facing cam is there. and there has been no promise of a bigger screen.
24. philly2723 (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 20:32 0 1
its actually the back of the ipad 2 just re-sized, and locations of buttons changed.
26. luis_lopez_351 posted on 07 Mar 2011, 21:31 1 0
xD giant ipod touch. and yes they did promise a bigger screen -__-"
27. mike (unregistered) posted on 08 Mar 2011, 01:26 0 1
Fake!!! it has no flash and why would apple go with an old design
28. IOS5 (unregistered) posted on 08 Mar 2011, 03:39 0 1
At least Apple superior in desgin unlike prick phones need root and lag fix all the time and I think this not real desgin this fake as usual phonearena got it from Chinese sites
29. GEORGE (unregistered) posted on 09 Mar 2011, 03:47 0 1
Hopefully the i phone 5 blue tooth will have connectivity to all other phones, and also a reference to the delivery message that will be sent ....