Camera comparison: Huawei Ascend P7 and Oppo Find 7a vs Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G2, iPhone 5s, HTC One (M8), Sony Xperia Z1
- 1 Introduction and Colors
- 2 Details
- 3 Indoor
- 4 Panorama
- 5 Night
- 6 Video
- 7 Conclusion
- OPPO Find 7a specifications
- Huawei Ascend P7 specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S5 specifications
- LG G2 specifications
- Apple iPhone 5s specifications
- HTC One (M8) specifications
- Sony Xperia Z1 specifications
Until recently, Huawei and Oppo were brand names with little to no recognition on the smartphone scene – pretty much nobody had heard about them. Things, however, have changed a bit over the past few years. Both companies have proven that they're capable of producing quality smartphones, and their current flagships – the Huawei Ascend P7 and the Oppo Find 7a – are built to compete with all those heavily advertised brand name flagships. Seriously, check out our in-depth reviews if you're not convinced that these phones are actually worth checking out. That's why we decided to give the Ascend P7 and the Find 7a a chance to compete in a camera comparison against several well-known models: the Samsung Galaxy S5, the LG G2, the iPhone 5s, the HTC One (M8), and the Sony Xperia Z1. Will the two Chinese warriors stand a chance against these fearsome opponents?
Note: We're using a Panasonic Lumix GH2 with its kit lens as a reference camera.
It was a bright, joyful day when we took our outdoor photo samples; not a single cloud was obscuring the sun's rays. In other words, the conditions were ideal for a camera shootout as, given all that light, each handset could show us the best that its camera was capable of.
The Huawei Ascend P7, in particular, does a commendable job at reproducing colors faithfully. Not all of its shots are perfect – about one in ten of them turns out warmer than it should be – but even if that is the case, the deviation doesn't bother us much. The Oppo Find 7a, on the other hand, can't quite nail its colors as well, or at least it couldn't capture them accurately as often during our shootout. As it becomes evident from our photos, its camera has a tendency of making some scenes more reddish or yellowish than they should appear. These flawed frames don't look bad, but they don't look perfectly natural either.
Overall, photos from the Samsung Galaxy S5 look great in terms of colors. Some of its scenes have a slightly cold-ish feel to them, but that's nothing you should be worried about. What's a bit more worrying, however, is the disappearance of details in very light objects which occurs in some shots – see the flowers in the sample gallery below and you'll get the idea.
Photos from the iPhone 5s are, as a whole, very pleasant to look at. Images taken in broad daylight have lively colors that bring everything to life. Yet one issue with Apple's phone is that if you have an object that is already bright in color, the camera's software will likely boost its saturation up a notch.
The Sony Xperia Z1 is not the best contender when it comes to color accuracy. Colors in its photos are boosted a notch, but all in all, its daytime photos turn out quite lovely.
This time around, the LG G2 didn't perform as well as we expected it to. Simply put, its results tend to be inconsistent – some of its photos turn out much colder than they need to be. Others, however, look excellent. This could be an issue with the software responsible about balancing an image's colors.
As for the HTC One (M8), we wish HTC's flagship produced better results. Several of its photos have a greenish tone, while others are overly warm or cold. As a general advice to all owners of the handset, manually tapping on the subject being photographed will help the phone's camera set the exposure more accurately.
1. Thumbnail crop
10. Thumbnail crop
19. Thumbnail crop
28. Thumbnail crop
4. tech2 (Posts: 3057; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Z2 and Z1 basically have the same camera with minor differences nothing really earth shattering.
9. sipha (Posts: 407; Member since: 12 May 2012)
So why didnt they use the HTC One M7 instead instead of the M8?? Or the iPhone 5 instead of the 5s??
11. Jason2k13 (Posts: 916; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
please do your research about the camera on the m8 and 5S compared to there predecessors. Z1 to Z2 did nothing but minor software tweaks,
18. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
No, the point is to compare the latest phones & their cameras. The so called "minor tweaks" ALREADY make your post invalid.
BECAUSE of those "minor tweaks" is WHY the Z1 should NOT be included in this obviously bogus review.
What is going on here?
33. buccob (Posts: 2155; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well taking in consideration that the Z2 brings minor improvements to the already good Z1 camera... and given that the Final Scored received in first place was a tie between S5, P7 and Z1... then those minor improvements would place the Z2 slightly above all competition...
So: Z2 > S5,P7,Z1 > 7A,5s > G2 > M8
16. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
What a GREAT post. Thank you for using some proper logic.
15. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
No, your logic is very ridiculous. Why on Earth would you even post such bogusness?
How that makes sense to you is beyond me. Where is the red thumb down when you need it?
PhoneArena.com we need the red thumb down added again...
22. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Those minor tweaks make a huge difference in today's cut-throat competition.
26. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Very true, to omit the Z2 & add the Z1 is flabbergasting to me. I really am shocked more than anything.
To take the time to do such a detailed review & omit the Z2 BUT to add the Z1 is so regrettable.
27. tech2 (Posts: 3057; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I know. I am not saying its acceptable that PA didn't include Z2. But I am just trying to point out that the difference wouldn't have been over the top. In my opinion, they should've even included a Lumia 1020
29. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Sorry then, I misunderstood you.
Based on your post I thought you meant since the differences are so "minor" that it shouldn't have been added.
Also you are definitely right the latest Nokia Lumia should have been included also.
61. ogee4life (Posts: 27; Member since: 12 Apr 2014)
I don't know what you on bout, the Z2 is clearly better than the z1. It's obvious your just looking at hard ware features in making your assertions. The z2 takes far better low light shots than the z1, its software it better optimised and produces better detail and colour rendition. Go read detailed analysis from the guys at dvox and other top rated tech sites. Then I thought the oppo phone uses the same camera found on the Sony xperia z, same exact sensor and I believe exact software but yet it gets so much praise but the z last year criticised by pa. Just food for thought.
60. ivanprskalo (Posts: 122; Member since: 09 Dec 2010)
Also, LG G2 with 4.2.2 software.. Really?
5. akki20892 (Posts: 3798; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Look at s5 and m8 in color comparison. It looks exactly same and still m8 is last.
6. tech2 (Posts: 3057; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
What are u talking about ?! M8 clearly has a strong bluish tint to its pic.
8. akki20892 (Posts: 3798; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I agree.....I seen in thumbnail that's why I said that.
40. elitewolverine (Posts: 3608; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
I see the same colors except in the first photo, and most likely due to a white balance not being set, and the fact that it is taking in more area of photo and trying to compensate.
But the rest of the pics it is nearly exactly the same and would be pulling the color from the photo in a photoshop would produce similar results.
14. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
That's EXACTLY what I was going to say... What a POINTLESS review.
21. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
To take the time & do all that research, just to soil it by adding the Z1 instead of the Z2 is truly an embarrassment.
PhoneArena.com is a lovely website to get up to date information on the LATEST & GREATEST in the mobile world. Does PhoneArena.com proof read their stuff before posting it online?
This is truly a rookie mistake. The Z2 is out & the Z2 should have been used NOT the Z1. I don't care if it had minor software tweaks or not, to use the Z1 instead of the Z2 is just plain old unacceptable.
I have been reading this site for many, many years & I come to expect the best. This is CLEARLY not the best.
24. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Maybe be the review unit of Z2 is in europe with Ray S. and Nick T. has done this comparison in U.S.
28. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4698; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I don't buy that at all. This site is viewed world wide. The Sony Xperia Z2 reviewed was not the US version yet they showed us here in the US the review so, why not add the Z2 to this camera review then?
25. tech2 (Posts: 3057; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Even if they didn't had Z2 it would've been acceptable. But since they've already done its review there is no reason them to not include Z2.
31. buccob (Posts: 2155; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
This whole review feels like an affirmation need after the blind camera comparisson... like: "yes readers, we agree with the rating"-PA
And a way to put the iPhone at least on the same level as the Oppo
36. sar44 (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
BSI is dead. Sony, Omnivision and others, turn to isocell.
Ascend P7 (Sony IMX 214, last sony sensor with "improved colors") it proved
45. Ashoaib (Posts: 2916; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Z2 has production issues and was not available to include in this comperison.... this is a better logic for not including Z2
48. DerryAhmad (Posts: 256; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Yeah.. what's up with that? They've done the Z2 review, why didn't use the Z2 for the camera comparisons?
And then.. The high end Lumias were excluded again.
2. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Lol where's Z2? Though the difference would have been minimal.
BTW it's interesting that all the camera comparisons you make with the same phones have very different results. I don't really want to trust on these kinds of test results.
7. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1850; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Got your Z2 man? Their test results are never that great... I still think Z1/Z2 produce great pictures :D
10. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
nope lol. I'm really getting angry now. I've never experienced this slow delivery service :(
But boy I'll be happy when I get it!
12. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1850; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
If I were you, I would track down that transporting truck and take that phone out of there myself... in style :D
23. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
:D Though I'm not sure if the carrier has even dispatch the phone yet... When I ordered it, they gave me a tracking code. It only shows that they have received my order and an hour after that they started to handle the order. It says nothing about the phone actually coming. A snail would transport packages faster lol. Well, I just have to hope that it comes soon.
3. shahulvm (Posts: 121; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Two articles pending :
1. Galaxy S5 vs Z2
2. Blind Camera comparison of Xperia Z2, Galaxy S5, Lumia 1520, Oppo 7a and the punny Iphone 5S
17. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
oh , so NOW they will put a lumia phone?
51. DerryAhmad (Posts: 256; Member since: 05 May 2012)
The did it last March. And look how it turned out:
I'm eager to see how the Lumia 1520 fares compared to the newer Android flagships.
57. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
theres just no explanation why PA didnt add 1520 or any lumia in this new comparison
19. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
why did they put iphone? i thought this is a camera battle of androids?
20. -box- (Posts: 3977; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Yet again, no Lumia. How hard is it for you to get one to review? Yeesh!
49. DerryAhmad (Posts: 256; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Since the last time Lumia 1520 won the Blind Test comparison, they've left out high end Lumias for the camera comparisons.
We need a 1520, Z2, S5, G Pro2, M8 and 7a camera comparison.
58. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
then let them include the old lumia 925 . or 720 lol. besides, they added old z1 and g2 there
30. district11 (Posts: 125; Member since: 17 Apr 2011)
Samsung galaxy S5 night image :O Just wow. No competition there.
32. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9879; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Look at the 5S and the S5 blowing the compeytion away.
34. Piotrek007 (Posts: 97; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
You can't even make a good panoramic photo with LG G2 !!
I made lots of em and none was soooooo bad as this one you are showing in here !!
Shame on you PA !! Shame on you !!
35. Sauce (unregistered)
Edit: 120fps to iPhone 5s video recording
37. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Huawei is included. Oppo is included. But Nokia isn't. SMH
41. pureviewuser (Posts: 372; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
Haha none of them stand a chance against nokia 808 or 1020!!!!
42. pureviewuser (Posts: 372; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
But they are in a league of their own and cannot stoop that low!!!!
43. Ghost04 (Posts: 171; Member since: 03 May 2014)
In 2014 I must say , if you wanna buy a flagship you shouldn't buy a Chinese .
But in 2018 I must say , if you wanna buy a flagship you you should buy a Chinese .
Because as I can see they are really improving in a super first rate .
It's not the case anymore that you use a Chinese phone only as a cheap alternative .
44. twens (Posts: 849; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
It's funny how people on this site despise samsung. When ever s5 is a winner on this site nobody praises it. The galaxies are constantly killing most camera phones out there. Funny so many sony fun boys want to see the z2 take that place. Lol
46. SIGPRO (Posts: 810; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Did not expect that the HTC was so crappy! Even the crappy iphone beats the HTC.
47. glenharriman (Posts: 5; Member since: 20 Dec 2013)
Shame on any party comparing the cameras on cell phones that doesn't include the Lumia 1020. Unless you start with the caveat that the comparison of the rest of the phones' cameras are for 2nd place, you're doing a disservice to those that don't know any better.
50. DerryAhmad (Posts: 256; Member since: 05 May 2012)
The 1020 is still by far the best Camera Phone for still photos to date. No need to have it compared to other phones. The 1520 and Icon on the other hand should be included in these flagships phones camera comparisons.
52. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1713; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
where is Z2? FYI Z2 just arrive at PA, this comparison was done before they had a review unit.so dont be crying for Z2..
53. sar44 (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Camera in z2 is absolutely the same as in z1