WSJ: Apple poaching HTC engineers to help with new iPhones product development
This will put pressure on Apple's product development and upgrade cycles, plus the Asian engineers are being hired to work closely with Apple's supply chain there, ensuring rapid sourcing, production and assembly of components for the upcoming assorted gadgetry. The hiring spree commenced in the second half of last year, and now Apple has more than 600 engineers and operational personnel working in Asia. It allegedly approached HTC engineers individually, on its way to create "an engineering team in Taipei to drive new iPhone product development," as per a leaked recruiting email.
The blitz is also due to Apple's increasing focus on China, which is the fastest-growing smartphone and tablet market, and the recent China Mobile deal puts additional pressure on delivery. The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is hiring not only engineers, who will work with component makers on new touchscreen and camera technologies, but also supply chain managers, as well as software QA specialists. Cupertino logged in quite the increase in the total number of employees last year - 80,300 - up from 72,800 in September 2012. That number seems poised to grow further this year, and it will be interesting to see whether Apple's strategy will indeed shift, in terms of product launch cycles.
source: WSJ (subscription req'd)
1. Astoni (Posts: 591; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
So where is xyz when you need him ? :p or xys or what the hell the fanboy is called :p
10. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5975; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Mxy may be on a compulsory holiday.
Commenting on the article, I suspect the new hires are related to Apple's push into China. China is more than just China Mobile, and if Apple wants to be credible, they are going to have to have engineering talent dedicated to the China market. HTC has attractive engineering talent, so a poaching effort is to be expected.
35. Finalflash (Posts: 1945; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Lol Yea, the vulture swooping in for the feast. They sued and litigated HTC into the ground and are now picking through the scraps.
11. xfire99 (Posts: 580; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Maybe someone tricked him to write his name backwards Klptzyxm and that imp went back to his 5S dimension.
33. Astoni (Posts: 591; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
So now you're here, I'd like to know your opinion on the article :)
27. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5975; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It would seem that spelling his name backwards was what was necessary to rouse ole Mxy.... ;-)
3. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
I think they're thinking to change the design and making it much better. :P
And surely HTC is better in this design thing.
20. mrblah (Posts: 549; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
i think you mean hot turds and crap lol jp!
5. LiyanaBG (Posts: 381; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
Apple knows that no one does design better than HTC. they want HTC help now after they sued them
6. AnukulVcool (Posts: 135; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
People have no idea, they make stupid jokes. Apple takes engineering help from HTC LMAO!! Apple probably have the best engineers in world along with google and microsoft. I don't buy this BS
8. sbfalex (Posts: 27; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
yea, if your definition of "best engineer" means blatantly repeat the same old design year after year then you have a point (don't forget samsung as well)... but if best engineer means originality & creativity then only htc & nokia have been innovative and creative year in and year out... what has apple done since iphone 4s (last iphone steve jobs touched)? 5th row of icons and a gimmick finger print scanner! Same with samsung...
12. mr.techdude (Posts: 561; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Ummmm Nokia has year over year same design, just some models have different build qualities (glossy or matte plastic) and small - huge ass camera lenses.
26. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1313; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
There's only one iPhone. Nothing else has the attention to detail and craftsmanship in the build of the device.
As for Nokia, if you call rehashing the iPod Nano over and over (Starting with the second, oversized iPod Nano, the N9) "design," then we are in agreement.
15. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3640; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Yeah best engineers with amazing problems like death grip issues of iphone 4. A taller iphone so your finger can reach from here to here and the premium aluminium back easily getting scratched. Heating issues of ipad 3 and many more.
23. Topcat488 (Posts: 1178; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
You forgot to mention how the iphone 5S is bending in peoples pockets... So they do have the first curved displays.
16. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3640; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Ohh wait apple doesnt manufacture anything its foxconn who manufacturers.
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 13367; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Look this fall, apples coming hard. Samsung is gunning too though.
18. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3384; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah only that Samsung just released their worst flagship ever.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 13367; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude lol, go away man. Please and thank u. SMDH.
34. true1984 (Posts: 597; Member since: 23 May 2012)
well its stll better than the s4. they wont get my money, but the new processor should fix the performance issues
9. GrndsKeeprWillie (Posts: 14; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Poaching? Their engineers are probably standing in the streets with signs after that bunch of execs have jumped ship
14. NightFelix (Posts: 47; Member since: 29 Apr 2013)
I think Apple should give an prototype of HTC M8 which running iOS 7 to the kids who just leaked to the youtube recently.
17. willard12 (Posts: 918; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
It makes so sense to hire people you claimed were copying you.
21. Topcat488 (Posts: 1178; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Wow for an American Company, Apple hasn't done nothing to help out the American workers. Samsung on the other hand has hired and built in America for Americans, in this sense Apple sucks. Apple is an Asian Company, with headquarters in the USA.
24. ecmedic4 (Posts: 202; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Hmm, funny since they are assembling iMacs and Mac Pros in the US now at new facilities. They are also about to give construction workers a huge project with their new Head Quarters. Apple has been expanding more in the US as well than in the past.
25. Topcat488 (Posts: 1178; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
First of all, Apple will build these facilities using American TAX dollars... They will create about 200 permanent jobs, WOW. Giving temporary construction jobs, just ain't kickin it in my book. Apple is using us like a pimp uses his products, just to make money for itself. Hmm, that's funny, not to me it ain't
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 13367; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man shutup ol sensitive in need of attention a$$
30. Topcat488 (Posts: 1178; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
YOU shut up. Just talk out the side of your neck, with nothing to say, eeevvvvvver. 8800 worthless posts.
36. willard12 (Posts: 918; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
People like to point out how much profit Apple makes. Well, doesn't that mean that apple contributes a lot of money in taxes to help pay for the military, schools, and roads? Or does it just go to the CEOs salary?
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 13367; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man SHUTUP LOL. who gives a damn, make your money and let APPLE make theirs. All y'all do is whine man, get off PA and go to Cupertino. Show some b*lls if you're sooooo passionate, and fed up with apple.
40. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Apple like alot of American companies, MS and Google included, store money offshore accounts so not as much as you'd think.
41. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Apple like other American companies, MS and Google included, store money in offshore accounts so not as much as you'd think.
39. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Always been an HTC fan even though I have a 920. Waiting for an HTC One like Windows Phone.
42. nobrainer (Posts: 16; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
i hope apple wont follow androids 6 months refresh cycle - e.g. comparing xperia z1 to xperia z2(fair enough z2 can record 4k but i can bet its just a matter of software upgarde as they both share exactly same sensor!) or s4 to s5(i know its nearlyu a year between them two) - yes they had few upgrades but they were minor ones.i rather wait a year or even little bit longer for something to really win my heart than just get phone every 6 months with new paint slapped in the front.don;t get me wrong i like my z1 at the moment but its pisses me off that instead of updating the software they release new phone.it just feels that they are neglecting and forgetting about the customers and loyal fan base.
43. Taters (Posts: 3654; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol this is such a terrible rumour that it is not funny. I would never hire an HTC engineer based on me getting 5 HTC handsets in a row that had major hardware issues and if Steve Job's soul still exists in Apple, they are pickier than I am.
If anything, they should be after Samsung engineers.