Video shows how much lighter, thinner and narrower the Apple iPad 5 will be
If you want to know exactly how much the difference is between the iPad 5 and iPad 4, take a peek at the video below produced by Chinese part manufacturer sw-box.com. The length of the new tablet is, at 239.2mm, 2 full mm shorter than its predecessor. In terms of width, there is a rather noticeable difference. The Apple iPad 4 measured 185.7mm wide versus the 169.5mm for the upcoming device. Our math skills aren't what they once were, but it still works out to a 16.2mm difference.
There is also a small, but noticeable difference in thickness. The Apple iPad 4 is 9.4mm thick while the iPad 5 is 7.2mm thick which is far from a subtle change. We might only be talking about mm, but you can see the difference. And the new iPad will be 37% lighter, making it easier to carry around.
The latest rumor has Apple introducing the new Apple iPad 5 and the Apple iPad mini 2 on October 15th.
source: sw-box.com via MacRumors, Pocketlint
1. papss (unregistered)
I love my iPad 4 but this one looks pretty nice too.
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 17026; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
+1 papss. I will be getting that white n gold 64 gig mini 2, and a space grey full size 32 gig for the Mrs.
9. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
How about a 32GB Nexus 7 and an Asus Transformer with a 1600P screen + Tegra 4 and 32gb of storage for them. Would cost you half the amount and be considerably better.
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 17026; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Nope, don't want those. They're great devices, but we want what we want. Plus the apple A7X 64 bit architecture, and m7 co is no slouch either. I'm an android fan, but my wife is not...she is all in with apple.
13. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1744; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
What you meant to say was "cheaper," right? The iPad 5 will have a better screen, a better processor, better build quality, and a better tablet app ecosystem than the Transformer. The iPad Mini will have a better screen, far better build quality, a roughly equal processor, and a better tablet app ecosystem. Cheaper isn't better, especially in this case.
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 17026; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Great post Napalm, if I said that I woulda been accused of flaming. +1
15. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1744; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
It's not really flaming to point out how, in most cases, the iPad 4 is still a performance beast, and that heart will be transplanted into a smaller footprint, and most likely, a die shrink, making the Mini 2 more than competitive.I'm guessing the A7x that will end up in the iPad 5 will be king of the hill, given how well the 5s performs.
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 17026; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
100% agreed! I'm loving ios's new horse power. It's faster than my note 2 the vast majority of the time
18. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Have you seen how hidious those blown up apps look on a 10 inch plus display? You can keep them both. While they do offer a great spec sheet, there is no way I'm downgrading my tablet experience just so my phone and tablet os is the same. You are more than welcome to spend your money on either of those but my money is going on a 64gb Mini preferably in white and gold.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 17026; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly, it's the seamless user experience between the two that I'm after. +1
22. sudhiir.reddy (Posts: 30; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
what is the use when there are no apps like in apps in apple store?
24. joey_sfb (Posts: 4600; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I will buy the iPad 5, I still own quite a bit of games on the iOS.
6. darkkjedii (Posts: 17026; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Who cares? Nowadays everything leaks, secrecy is more of an attempt than a guarantee. Just put out a good product, and apple does that.
5. darkkjedii (Posts: 17026; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Those puppies will be out next month, come to papa and mama.
23. bucky (Posts: 2153; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Yup. Grabbing a matching 32-64 gb iPad 5! The wife stole mine :/
8. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
Even ill say the new ipad looks alot better. and im sure dark jedi can tell you that means a lot coming from me
10. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
while the note 10.1 2014 edition added many multi-tasking functionalities, ipad will add.........
19. deathbydesigner (Posts: 10; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
I was actually looking to buy an iPad mini this time around but I am liking the new look of the iPad 5. I will have to decide when I have them both turned on in front of me.
21. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1744; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I'm m in the same boat. I went from iPad 3 to the Mini, and loved everything about it except the screen. However, a smaller, lighter A7X iPad 5might be just the ticket, especially if it comes in at or below 1 pound.
25. wando77 (Posts: 647; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Would be nice to compare this with a note 10.1 2014
26. qwerty0722 (unregistered)
Will iPad5 drived by A7x ?
28. carlosquiroz (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
I love the accuracy for length measuring