Samsung owns U.S. handset market with 26.9% market share
Android remained the top platform for smartphone users with a 53.7% average share for the three months ended November. Android increased its lead over iOS. While the latter gained .7% since August to 35%, Android picked up 1.1% in the same time period. Even with a loss of 1% over the three months, BlackBerry was next with 7.3% market share. Windows Phone (3%) and Symbian (.5%) were fourth and fifth respectively.
So what are we using our smartphones for? Sending text messages rose .3% to 75.9% to remain the feature that most people have used on their smartphone. The biggest gain came from those using social networks which rose .9% to 39.2%. Right behind was the .8% gain to 54.2% for the smartphone owners using downloaded apps. The largest decline, .3%, was for those playing games. 33.7% of smartphone users play games on their phones, down from 34% for the three months ended in August.
Smartphones now make up 53% of the handsets used my mobile phone users in the U.S. That is a gain of 6% from August and represents 123.3 million Americans that use a smartphone.
source: comScore via TUAW
10. AnTuTu (Posts: 593; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
This year Samsung will be like 50 - 60 % in States :)
17. MeoCao (unregistered)
what about that bullsh*t report that iOS took 53% market share for 12 week period ending November?
19. a_tumiwa (Posts: 125; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
corrected: 12 days after the launch of iPhone 5
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 7753; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Samsung is killing it rite now, what else can u say. I primarily use apple, but gotta give credit where it's due.
3. shamataa (Posts: 197; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Samsung will be number 1 for a long time. Hopefully HTC will be in second place this year. Proud owner of note 2.
4. ray77 (Posts: 121; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
go my boy sammy spread happiness to the world
6. papss (Posts: 2172; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Looks cheap but has good hardware...typical Sammy
7. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
Go Sammy, keep giving people, choice, freedom, and GREAT devices at a wide range of prices!
8. KFear (Posts: 119; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
People are still buying low end smartphones on a regular basis. I'm a samsung guy, but i gotta say that if Apple enters the low end device market and opens up a more expansive product line up, Samsung and Apple would be a lot closer. We all understand why Apple is keeping it basic. Maybe we'll see something new; bigger screens, keyboards, less negative space. We sell more GS3s than iphone at all my our sprint locations, because, mainly, for the screen.
13. zig8100 (Posts: 93; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Apple has been selling $50 4's and $100 4S' for the past three years. Your argument makes no sense. Oh yea refurbished ones are even cheaper.
29. KFear (Posts: 119; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
...and more expansive line up. Please read my whole post. I also talk about larger screens. Thanks for addressing the one concern but it doesn't make my post make "no sense". Please read each post.
9. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Like I have always said Samsung owns android period.
11. pslee (Posts: 35; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Samsung is only 26 percent in the us, but its 100% in my house!! 2 gs3 and 2 gn2!! I think LG numbers will go up this year. Htc has no chance.
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 7753; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
U can say goodbye apple all u want, but apple is also a juggernaut in the mobile industry and won't b leaving anytime soon. Goodbye jmoita2
14. Joshing4fun (Posts: 960; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
How is HTC such a small percent? I see them everywhere.
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5170; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
We already know that they out sold the iPhone 4 4rd qt. and the #1 Android manufacturer
21. christumaini (Posts: 27; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
good thing about samsung is they offer different platforms to different devices... lets wait for their newly coming mobile os ie (tizen and ubuntu)