Samsung Nexus Prime first image surfaces: 4.6” display with impressive 720 x 1280-pixel resolution
5. protozeloz (Posts: 5395; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
4.65 might be good but 4.3 easily fits on a smaller body and gives you around 4.1 for screen and no buttons
8. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
part of that 4.65 is the bottom where the buttons are since they are all on screen now and no longer physical. maybe they dont count that bottom bar as part of the screen "demensions" since is always there.
25. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That being the case though, can they advertise it as a 4.6" screen, or is this more like the Samsung Continuum's secondary screen? I appreciate that the button area doesn't count toward screen real estate, but will apps use that area of the screen or will they be restricted to the 4.3" central area?
50. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the apps cant use it. its like a honeycomb tablet. its ALWAYS there, as u have no other way to get back to the home screen, ect.
im not sure about marketing. its not a "second" screen. Thats kind of a tricky subject i guess. they can say its 4.65 inches without getting into trouble.. because thats the demensions, but it does seem a lil misleading. of course saying "its 4.65 inches, but its only 4.3 inches of usable gaming screen" will be a little complicated for many people. saying its 4.3 inches is undersizing it.
I have a feeling we are just going to have to get used to that. Besides, had the report not said it was a 4.3 inch screen, most probably would not have thought twice about it.
But 0.3 inches sounds about right for the bottom controls.
53. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
So other than having the buttons disappear when the phone is off (something the Droid Incredible 2 already does with its trick capacitive buttons), what's the advantage to this interface? People here have made hay about ICS being button-free, but it still needs to take up surface area.
58. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
umm.. it looks prettier.. lol. basically i think the biggest advantage is going to be over all phone size more than anything. not needing that half inch or so for button space on the chin can allow for smaller phones while retaining screen size, or larger screens while retaining phone size. Phones like the G2X are perfect examples of how you could trim it up without those buttons, it has nearly an inch under the screen for button configuration. Add 0.3 inches for the screen and subtract the rest from the chin.
61. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It'd be neat if the nav buttons disappeared completely for native 720p video, then reappeared when you press pause/stop.
63. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i could definately go for that... maybe the same thing with games so that way im not constantly hitting the home button by accident.. lol
66. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4791; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Good they changed the article title, it now says 4.6". Nice!
56. jogutier (Posts: 324; Member since: 12 Feb 2010)
That looks more like a Fascinate than a Prime. :(
24. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4791; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I have a feeling the Verizon exclusive Nexus phone will be the only one with the 4.65" screen. That may be part of the exclusivity that Verizon has so they can differentiate with everyone else. I hate to say it but that’s my thought. I could be 110% wrong though. A 4.3" with a Super AMOLED & 1184 x 720 is just ridiculous. That is just a wonderful display. 320ppi is something to be reckoned with. I am so totally fine with that! That just sh*ts on anything out there PERIOD. I can honestly say these Android phones that are coming out are LITERALLY pocket PC's!
37. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I agree sir it is really impressive even if at 4.3
44. Bluedroid (Posts: 57; Member since: 12 Sep 2011)
@ SuperAndroidEvoDon 't be confused by the strange 1184 x
720 pixels resolution that appears on the system
info. That' s just the active area of the screen,
with the status bar on the top and the three soft
buttons on the bottom not counted. The
Samsung Nexus Prime will surely come with a
regular 1280 x 720 pixels screen. Source: Gsmarena
51. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you have to add .3 inches in for the screen controls which are always there, it puts you back at 4.65 inches. nothing has changed yet :)
70. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
I'm trying out the bionic right now but I defenitly will return it to get this bad boy. no buttons, better resolution(I can acctualy see the pixels on the bionic its sucks in comparison to my old g driod) better camera. I just hope signal strenght and call quality is up to par with the bionic.
3. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 413; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
I like the look of Gingerbread soooooo much more then Honeycomb! Please don't be true!! D: And I want a 4.5" + screen
4. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4791; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I love the Google's strategy. I hope more pictures "leak" out throughout the day. I want Google to steal Apple's thunder. The Google Nexus Prime looks to be a huge BEAST of a phone, & call me crazy but Android's multi-core optimizing Ice Cream Sandwich is ultra sexy compared to the Android wanna be iOS 5. This is going to be a very fun day! lol
12. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
taking a page from apple to steal their thunder.. lol
39. Alantef (Posts: 288; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
omg i hope so!!!....not just the prime but anything to "leak" wroth knowing...
38. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
Yeah and when iPhone 5 has no LTE support it will give a bigger boost to the samsung prime
7. protozeloz (Posts: 5395; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
we need better picks! not just a small leak D;
9. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Guys the display is still bigger than 4.3". The new buttons cover that extra little bit past 4.3" but the actual DISPLAY of the screen where you see the Operating System and everything IS 4.3". The buttons at the bottom add the little extra bit to make it >= 4.5".
40. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
That don't count than cause you could say that about other phones like the bionic
43. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
No, the Bionic has capacitive buttons at the bottom. The buttons on the Nexus Prime are ACTUALLY part of the screen. The ones on the Bionic are completely separate from the screen.
10. No PENTILE! (unregistered)
It looks like a pentile!!!
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5395; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
its hard to tell from the average monitor, makes the pick pixelated
14. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, if you can tell that from a low rez picture, then kudos to you. i can barely tell in real life unless i put my nose on the screen..lol
23. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
At 320 ppi, you won't notice that it's Pentile. For reference, the Galaxy S Pentile screens are 230 ppi.
11. exo2u (unregistered)
does anybody else think the back and home button seem a little high?
16. pictureaday (unregistered)
Lets' do some math shall we?
XPixels = 720
YPixels = 1280
DPI = 320
XInches = 720 / 320 = 2.25
YInches = 1280 / 320 = 4
Diagonal size = Sqrt(XInches2 + YInches2) = Sqrt(2.25*2.25 + 4*4) = 4.589
(originally from wetninja)
So if his numbers are correct, then the screen should be ~4.6...
32. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
The only thing your post proves....Is that you are smarter than me. :(
46. Galaxy7 (unregistered)
your math is correct but the Yinches is wrong. its 1180 not 1280. from the picture it shows 1180x720. so the screen will be 4.33inches diagonal.
47. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That's kind of what we're arguing... the screen may be 4.59" including the active buttons (1280x720) but only 4.33" useable area (1184x720).
49. Galaxy7 (unregistered)
sorry not 1180 but 1184. but the diagonal is correct, 4.33inches
62. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
this is the difference between android fans and apple fans. on an apple article, apple fans spout obsurdities like "iphone5 will destroy teh google wif iz awezumness" and crap like that. On an android thread, android guys are doing math on screen sizes. Lol, and they wonder why they think android guys are smarter.. lolol
65. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I've always felt Android was the the geek's OS... so count me in!
Ask me about my screen size and resolution spreadsheet.
68. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its all about the size of your.... spreadsheet.. lol
18. Look at the original article a (unregistered)
Original article has been updated to say 4.6" screen.
19. kyle (unregistered)
We need more pictures! wonders if the Galaxy S II will be updated to ICS? :)
59. Ivan6479 (Posts: 249; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Well seeing how the Galaxy S II is there flagship device I would think it would be getting the update for sure, but in the end who really knows.
72. roscuthiii (Posts: 2112; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Maybe Galaxy S III... isn't an ICS display dependent on hardware, not software or firmware?
20. Mooooo (Posts: 212; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
Lol as I said to a friend the other day Google will show and ruin some of Apple's day.
Now the Google Flagship has arrived on the scene.
The pirate ships are all at war.
* Gets popcorn
21. Anti-Fanboy (Posts: 38; Member since: 28 Sep 2011)
I honestly dont see what everyone's problem with buttons is...
22. Mooooo (Posts: 212; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
I use buttons everyday.
Buttons on my dress shirt
Buttons my cat
Lol, No i don't have a cat
60. Ivan6479 (Posts: 249; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Hmm.. are you refering to the buttons to get to the cat?? Lol
28. edgarttr (unregistered)
my next device hell yeah .....
30. ilia1986 (unregistered)
I am sorry but after seeing the Galaxy Note with a 5.3" screen, a 1280x720 SuperAmoled HD screen, a 1.4Ghz dual core processor and unique capacitive stylus-based apps and features, few things can impress me here. Especially If people get to OC the Note to 1.8+Ghz
Well, at least until the quad-core GS3, that is. :)
31. bob (unregistered)
This phone is going to kill the iPhone 5 and leave it in the dust.
33. Mooooo (Posts: 212; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
The new unannounced iPhone is already obsolete.
Jobs if he shows will be an emotional thing for the Apple fans. Because I predict he will not look very good at all. Sad but true.
42. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
It depends a lot how iOS 5 and ice cream sandwich compare also not just the phones hardware. I think atliest 50% importance either way
35. jtbndy (unregistered)
The original article linked says 4.6'' screen so I don't know why Phone Arena's article says 4.3''.