Sony Xperia Z2 to be launched in Korea before Samsung's Galaxy S5
According to Korean website Daum, South Korea is a very important market for Sony. That’s why the Japanese company wants to start selling the Xperia Z2 there before Samsung launches its new Galaxy S5 (which will be available from April 11).
Back in January, Sony released the older Xperia Z1 in South Korea. This marked the company’s return to the Korean smartphone market (it gave up on selling handsets there in 2011).
Last month, Sony Mobile USA’s president said that the company wasn’t worried about the Galaxy S5’s water resistant capabilities, because it’s Sony who “started the waterproof trend.”
While the Galaxy S5 will almost surely see higher sales than the Xperia Z2 globally, it’s going to be interesting to see if Sony’s new flagship smartphone can be successful in Samsung’s home country.
source: Daum (translated)
1. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
Desperate move by Sony, but Koreans are smart and deny every non-korean product they offer
2. GTR722 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Even when is clearly inferior like the GS5 compared to the Z2??
15. GeekMovement (Posts: 1593; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
As much as I prefer the Z2, I wouldn't say the S5 is clearly inferior to it.
6. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 637; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Sammy Fanboys : Attacks everyone, but mostly Sony, Nokia, and Apple .
Sony Fanboys : Most of them are also Nokia Fanboys or vice versa, mostly attacks Samsung, some of them also attacks Apple.
Apple Fanboys : Quite hard to find now, mostly attack Samsung.
33. Nine1Sickness (Posts: 68; Member since: 30 Jan 2011)
Android fans needs to learn how to get along. smh
34. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 676; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
There is no Android Fan.. We are technology fan, not fan of OS/Company...
Apple Fans need to learn to get along and control their anger..
37. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2923; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
If only that was actually true. So many of the Android fans on this site make me embarrassed to be one.
44. maccess (Posts: 635; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
I need to correct you.. sony & nokia fans are the worst.. just check how many are them in samsung article.. and check how many samsung fanboy in sony/nokia article.. you'll know the answer..
11. rd_nest (Posts: 896; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Let Sony first sell more than Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei etc., Then they can think of likes of LG. Samsung is away ahead at this time.
18. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
LG was a nice joke!
If there was no Nexus, LG was bankrupt right now.
30. rd_nest (Posts: 896; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Nexus?? You're a bigger joke. Only place where nexus is relevant are the tech blogs.
Sony isn't even in top 5 vendor in 2013.
32. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Im sure you haven't read the links you shared!
Just read what IDC said about LG sails.
40. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
but dude first sony should sell good may be atleast 30 million phones an year .z2 is not at all superior than s5 but its inferior
22. tiara6918 (Posts: 1709; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Please...don't you know how many of them still prefers the apple iphone compared to let's say a g2 or a note3
42. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6815; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Launch in KOREA? Sony is doing smart move here but need more SONY phones here in the U.S. sony listen to your consumers.
35. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Like wat they did with the ps4 in US!!!
45. maccess (Posts: 635; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Please never compare ps4 with sony's phone.. i love sony's product & own lots of them from bravia tv,walkman mp3 player,ps2,ps3 and ps4.. but their phone never makes me interested.. it just meh not like their other product..
38. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
dual speakers, 21 mp 1/2.3 sensor camera. this is just specs speaking wise.
let alone the genuine premium feeling of device made of actual metal bezel and not plastic bezel that looks like metal.
i have had samsung smartphones and the worst in them is their plasticness and ugly shape. specs these days dont matter too much its all the same in all devices, just some unique specs stand out like i stated above.
i want samsung to do well so i can buy them in future.
as of now they are far too ugly
46. ShenAlJoker (Posts: 112; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
It is hard for deathstroke to understand the great joker!
7. techperson211 (Posts: 738; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Maybe in terms of nationalism sony is not confident but in terms of build and quality they have the upper hand on this . No harm in trying more to gain.
8. techperson211 (Posts: 738; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Just to add up.
Also they have the technological advantage.
9. N3Z1droid (Posts: 89; Member since: 02 Jan 2014)
i never look to Sony before Z1 release, after its release now my heart devided to 2 lol
10. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3643; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
That AMOLED screen is driving me towards galaxy s5 than z2's svelte body i admit. I can replace the back cover though thats easy, there are plenty of cool replacements on ebay, but fugly touchwiz nooo.
24. maherk (Posts: 1378; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
That's the best part about Samsung phones, the backs are removable. I mentioned it before, you can find tempered glass battery, carbon fiber, leather, and aluminum. I have bunch of them, and mostly I use the stock one or the carbon fiber back. The aluminum cover drops my signal and always locks down the gps. And while the glass with rose gold aluminum bezel looks GORGEOUS, I can't stand the fingerprints and the slippery feel.
12. pwnarena (Posts: 1003; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
koreans hate the japanese. that's a stupid attempt. dead on arrival. what are you thinking sony? why don't you spend all your resources to have your flagship carried by all US carriers?
19. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Agree, they must focus on US.
At least their brand is more appreciated than in Korea.
21. JC557 (Posts: 1182; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Yes, I would love to see the Z2 on Verizon. Though it'll make my decision for a new phone that much harder... already got the Nokia Icon, New HTC One, LG G3 on my radar but I would still slot the Z2 somewhere and hopefully by the time I make a choice the price will be a little lower.
Hopefully Verizon would play ball with Sony once more.
20. procol (Posts: 16; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
While Japanese don't buy Korean products(tacit peer pressure), but Koreans buy Japanese products if it has the edge over hone-grown product. Koreans are very rational consumers. Sony used to prevail in Korea before Samsung's arise. Well, it's exactly same just like the States, IMO. Even iPhone used to prevail before GS3 launch. Lots of Koreans are still arguing about Samsung's dark side but the product speaks for itself always. Apple's virtually non-existing localized product and service couldn't win in Korea. That's all.
26. pwnarena (Posts: 1003; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
you forgot to figure in japan's recent acts that angered koreans. maybe that was the case before but now koreans are already abandoning japanese products.
17. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3101; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
This is what we call competing in the home ground of the giant. Good competition to see and good for consumers. If I would be a Korean I'll choose Pantech same model as my profile pic. :)
23. GeekMovement (Posts: 1593; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Pantech Vega Iron is pretty awesome (;
25. mianhae445 (Posts: 9; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Koreans nowadays are rational consumers and select the best goods. As my Korean friends said, they hate some Japanese that did bad things to Koreans, but don't hate Japan as a whole. Nikon, Canon cameras? Studio Ghibli films? Toyota Camrys? All Japanese, yet appreciated in Korea. As far as I can see, Sony is doing good by providing better choice and Z2 probably will sell some!
27. Amir1 (Posts: 277; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
big success comes over time and take years to arrive to. some people fail to understand that here. sony is clearly rising up. it's very cool to see how sony is improving with every new flagship since they took over ericsson in 2012. exciting time! my next phone is definitely xperia flagship. no more iphone. Z2 is already ahead of the competition in overall flagship quality imo. Z3 is even going to put a bigger bomb with more substantial upgrades.
28. JMartin22 (Posts: 1299; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Why should any reasonable person buy a Z2 when they know it's going to be obsolete in 6 months. Sony has a terrible track record with that and keeping support running on those shoddy devices
29. Federated (Posts: 253; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
Because they want the phone now and not 6 months from now? And maybe because they can change phones anytime they want?
31. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3101; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
I think they'll continue this policy until they reach Sammy's S7/S8 or IPhone's 6s/7. Once they reach then they'll continue 1 year policy to upgrade their flagships with Z7/Z8 names. :) :) :)
39. boomboom (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
I m samsung s4 owner bt I like z2 over sam s5 in every aspect :)
41. majp89 (Posts: 104; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
When all of you own a Sony (if you do) you will soon realize how disappointing their products really are. They're stepping up their game, but I'm telling you, there's a 50/50 chance you'll end up in the same boat as me and hate your own to death.
43. Federated (Posts: 253; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
I love my Z1s. Fast and lag-free. Battery last forever. Waterproof. More internal memory than the Z1. More camera features than Z1. Build quality is excellent. Signal reception is outstanding. In my opinion better than G2, S4, HTC ONE, Nexus 5 in overall performance. Waiting for Z3 in the Falll with SD 805 SoC.