Samsung Galaxy S5 to come at a low-key MWC event: no Quad HD screen, no eye scanner
Samsung is believed to introduce a new design for the Galaxy S5, as well as improved hardware, but the company’s goal with this launch will be to tap into the corporate segment with improved business features like the Knox security app.
Interestingly, Samsung is also said to have listened to criticism about the widely perceived to be gimmicky S4 features (like Air View), and has toned them down this time. The Galaxy S4 is said to have underwhelming sales and even to have been outpaced by the Galaxy Note 3, and that might have something to do with the lower-key event this year. A massive 10-year patent deal between Google and Samsung might have also caused this surprising shift in strategy.
Finally, whispers are that Samsung will also introduce a new, upgraded version of its Galaxy Gear smartwatch, along with other devices at Mobile World Congress. We will be there covering the event live for you, so stay tuned.
source: NY Times
1. brar.arsh (Posts: 158; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Now which rumour should I believe??
I want to believe Eldar Murtazin.. :p
54. deewinc (Posts: 191; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Victor, did you confirm that the NY Times insider must have been high on crack before posting this?
6. Aploine (Posts: 207; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
Another day, another rummor. Don't worry my friend, we survive this
29. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1104; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
K b4 I start lemme just clarify that I own Note 3...nt cuz its Sammy but cuz its an amazing product...n i havent used any other flagships except the Note series. An amazing product is an amazing product...no matter who makes it...and yes for the past couple of years I give Sammy credit cuz of the Note series. NOW,,,,
This rumor could actually be credible as Sammy is believed to launch a new F series or so this year to take its flagship mobile place. Also an iris hardware tech innovation is not something Sammy is known for...so no rris scanner (for sure!)...Quad HD or no QHD...dont matter....ur brain dosent know what ur eyes cant see! And in no way can people spot the difference between FHD and QHD on a 5 incher.
Sammy only did fanfare stuff for the S4....not for the S3 or the Note 2....so a low key affair is not something which is gonna push Sammy's brand value down. I am pretty sure anybody who is anybody in the tech and media industry will cover this event no matter how low-budgeted it turns otu to be.
Moreover its episode 1 of the Unpacked event...meaning they mioght not unveil the S5 yet but other products like the Gear or something and the S5 may still turn out to have its own Unpacked event...though I would still prefer the serious approach with a bit of fun mixed in to focus on the corporates instead of song and dance!
Im just sayin....
30. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1467; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Just don't believe anything until it's revealed :P This way, it'll save me some headache....
42. Klamba92 (Posts: 206; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
I really hope it comes with a 1080p display and at least a 3200mah battery. We don't need any higher for now! First let's get 4k TVs with 4k content, actually lets first get 1080p content everywhere first as TV providers at least in the UK don't have 1080p content working on all channels!
3. Diego! (Posts: 508; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
WTF??? Is this true? I'm not buying anything then!
5. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Lol time for Sammy fans to go nuts. I was expecting UHD and some type of scanner....guess not?
A refresh for S4?
7. FoneAddict (Posts: 209; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
If this turns out to be true then I think this will give rivals like LG, Sony and HTC a chance to bridge the sales gap which can only be a good thing overal for the Android market as it increases competitiveness.
8. Aploine (Posts: 207; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
If this turns out to be true then I 'll get from ebay SGS4 E330 32GB and get over with it...
14. Leonis (Posts: 334; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
I agree. Time to give HTC, Sony and LG some support instead. I am currently on the Sony z2 boat but maybe HTC will be good enough.
9. jan25 (Posts: 418; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
That's good news. I hope this rumor turns out to be true. Enough gimmicks Samsung and i will gladly buy your products.
10. Dante216 (Posts: 26; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Jesus, does PhoneArena HAVE to report EVERY single Galaxy S5 rumor?
16. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1058; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Well, that's kind or their work, isn't it? LOL
11. PorkyBurger (Posts: 256; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Well, non-QHD is a great thing for me, because otherwise, it would be just an overkill. But WHY NO IRIS SCANNER~?! It would be so cool to see that on S5.
17. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1058; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I would rather have the "on screen fingerprint scanner". But I doubt about that rumor.
12. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
Who cares about res higher than 1080p anyway... + higher the res and additional iris or fingerprint scanners mean more power consumption..
18. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3319; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
1080p is perfect now, but in the future I want 4k so all the videos would play natively on it.
23. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
Boy, 4k on that small screen.. Even IGZO and LTPS may have problems with manufacturing, it's 800+ ppi...
26. mayur007 (Posts: 472; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
every thing in start gets an issue
so no need to worry even samsung had the issue making 1080p amoled display but they did it at last..
28. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3319; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Nah, I'm sure SHARP can do it lol. Anyway, who knows what kind of holographic displays we might get in the future
41. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
No doubt, but 4k on 5" phone will be overkill..
13. Tuxedo (Posts: 176; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Haha knew the "iris" scanner gizmo was BS. QHD screen is not worth it imo, not in a 5" display. Hopefully Samsung has spent some time polishing the software.
15. Amir1 (Posts: 274; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
then the upcoming xperia sirius looks much more attractive then s5.
39. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Same boat....though I want better battery life than Z1. Boat might end up sinking if thats not the case.
19. 1701nino (unregistered)
The fact is we don't know anything,samsung is very good at kepping their devices under wraps untill launch.
21. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2725; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It's very possible that Samsung couldn't work out that 560ppi screen to a high enough yield for such a huge launch. If we don't see it this time around, rest assured that their WQHD screen will debut in the Note 4.
31. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I don't know. Same thing was said last year about the S4 about not having a 1080p screen due to them running into issues producing the screen. I'm certain they'll be able to pack a QHD screen into the S5.
34. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2725; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I think it's more than likely that they will too. I was just making an "in case they don't" statement.
22. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1655; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Meh, i'm more excited about what the Note 4 will bring.
24. SayMobile (Posts: 44; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)
Quad hd display screen will indeed be present on the galaxy s5
25. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
So when the rumours were saying Samsung will have all this the complaints were Samsung are just adding more bloat but now the rumours are saying they are going to not be adding stuff and not adding "bloat" people are saying fail lol
58. networkdood (Posts: 6326; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
yeah, no matter what happens people will just not be happy...
27. hboy857 (Posts: 242; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
Samsung get rid of the gimmicky feature, bring a super attractive design that doesn't feel cheap and focus on user experience...if samsung bring those thing in GS5 i just asked for i swear I'LL DEFINITELY BUY GS5..
32. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Then buy a Note 3. Already offers what you're asking.
36. E.S.1 (Posts: 294; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Hey Smurf, Can you tell me why didn't you like your Moto X?
I was ready to order mine until I read your post.
I have LG G2 and I was thinking about getting Moto X or Nexus 5.
Thank you in advance :)
44. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I was able to still see some pixels on the screen even though it was 720p. The camera is awful (forget about using flash) and is unusable in mid to low light scenes. Battery life was great I wil l give it that.
If you really want a Moto X, just flash CM11 to whatever device you have and there you go. Go for the Nexus 5 since it's the same price (right now), faster, and everything is better (except battery). I was really disappointed with the Moto X.
50. E.S.1 (Posts: 294; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
I love my G2 and I think I will get the N5.
43. hboy857 (Posts: 242; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
No, it doesn't offer what i'm asking. It's not a very attractive looking phone and i dislike touchwiz experience. My phone has to be very good looking (design is very important to me).
45. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Everyone has their own taste. But I will say you should demo the phone for a good half hour or so to kind of get the feeling of it.
49. neops (Posts: 204; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Altho I'm a graphic designer, I'd rather have a not so good looking phone that's top in specs, since I consider it a tool, than to have a stunning looking one that doesn't do what my money payed for
35. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Samsung will most probably use a Quad-HD screen on the Note 4.
37. mike2959 (Posts: 279; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Eldar Murtazin..... Stop listening to this guy, he's been wrong on the last for predictions.
46. strikercho (banned) (Posts: 156; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
But....wait, I thought it was going to have a shower cabin and a fax, and a washing machine?! Nooo! :P PS: Actually I'm not surprised. The Koreans still have to pay Apple over $1 billion. What is going to happen is very simple. Look at Apple's last year iPhone 5S and you can predicts 99% of the features, that any Asian manufacturer(not just Samsung) will put in their "flagships": 64-bit OS(if Giggle manages to copy fast enough:), finger scanner, etc.:)
48. Cyberchum (Posts: 281; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Just don't bring on-screen buttons to the table please. The bottom bezels on the S4 and note 3 are already minimal, I don't need those buttons to take up any screen real estate. Meanwhile, the only thing that's going to make me buy the S5 is if they ditch Exynos for Snapdragon in the international version.
52. mrblah (Posts: 549; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
YAWNS.... S3++, i thought i learned my lesson with the note ii, nope, got the dumb S4, fail. i resold them but lost time, money, and was annoyed the whole time i had them lol. i think I'm going to try a Nokia next, androids are junk and i'm sick of ios for now. last time i had a windows phone it was like a tilt 2 and my last nokia was a bar!
55. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I use both a Lumia 920 and a Moto G. Somehow I always find myself using the Nokia more than the Motorola, despite it being less powerful (quad v dual; adreno 250 v adreno 305 GPU).
Stock android is OK , but skinned is absolute junk,
53. enzotarece (Posts: 24; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
am not surprise if the s5 dont have a finger print scanner so what cuz apple did it samsung have to do it? i jus think they r upgrading phones to fast a 2011 laptop still works perfectly fine today. phones GPU still looks like sh#t, battery life even worst, screen an processors r good.....anybody ever notice the bigger the tv screen is the worst the picture look even if the tv is FHD but the picture is not i dont know y ppl is crying out for 2k an 4k screens when 1080 is not on full scale
56. Taters (Posts: 3598; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Qhd screen is a must IMO. If they don't give us the absolute best tech in the industry then there is no point buying a Samsung product. They manufacture the best internals and they can give it to us for cheaper than most. If not qhd then all the other internal parts needs to slaughter the other handsets IMO.
57. networkdood (Posts: 6326; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
40 million units sold, and more, is under whelming? WOWsers....