Report: Sony Xperia Z to launch on January 15th, beating out next Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S IV
HTC DROID DNA and on some upcoming models like the ZTE Grand S, which also is expected to be made official at CES. The Xperia Z is said to have a quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 processor under the hood with an Adreno 320 GPU and 2GB of RAM on board. A 13MP camera is on back and a microSD slot does come with the phone. The Sony Xperia Z sports LTE connectivity and Android 4.1.2 is pre-installed right out of the box.
By launching the phone in January, Sony is getting one of its 2013 flagship devices out in the market before the next version of the Apple iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy S IV are launched. The specs of the latter are rumored to be another one of the new high-end handsets to offer a 5 inch panel, 1080p resolution and 441ppi pixel density.
source: ePrice (translated), arstechnica via AndroidAuthority
1. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Lol ... they have to write iphone in every article :)
46. kobainez (Posts: 302; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
They mentioned s3 and iphone almost in every article
71. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1086; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
yeah those two alwways find a mention...but this may be a samrt move by Sony breakiing their traditional launch cycle. this handset looks promising and Sony may just have a chance of having a good year in 2013!
24. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
One source says that that Sony Xperia Z (a.k.a. Yuga) will support SDXC memory cards up to 128GB.
Nenamark: 60 FPS
Vellamo: 2185 (HTML5)
29. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Camera will be 12MP not 13MP.
There will be new screen to unlock.
New Walkman features.
32GB of internal storage + 128GB through (Isn't it amazing
31. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
32GB of internal storage + 128GB through SDXC memory card + USB host feature, isn't it amazing? :)
36. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Bluetooth version 4 with 2 Mbps data rate.
HDR will be available not only for the photos, but also for the VIDEO!!!
42. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Talking about display it is 5" with FullHD resolution, color reproduction is perfect for all multimedia applications that use Sony Bravia Engine, in all other applications the picture is much worse. Reflections backlight perfectly visible in the black areas of pictures and it's annoying. Viewing angles are small. Density is 440 pixels per inch.
Micro HDMI and micro USB are covered with plastic plugs attached to the hull.
Main camera 12MP with single LED flash.
Possibility to wirelessly stream 1080p to compatible devices.
Sorry if I'm a bit "flooding". :)
47. kobainez (Posts: 302; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Its actually 13mp normal mode. In HDR mode it limits to 12mp only
67. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 803; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
The Display and the Non-removable battery is a bummer for me.
85. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 803; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Just read comment 42 by PAUser, my supposed answer is there.
80. JunBringer (Posts: 100; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Do they even make 128GB microSDXC yet? or are they talking about regular SDXC?
50. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
No bro it will be 13, the person who reviewed the phone was using it on iAuto+ :)
87. romeo1 (Posts: 239; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
no it will be 13mp but in "super auto mode" the camera can only go to 12mp ;)
64. darkkjedii (Posts: 11865; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
iPhone 5, and s3 r the benchmark phones that's why.
75. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
iPhone is the benchmark phone for all low/mid ends. The S3 didn't blow away most of the competition like the S2 did. The phone race is becoming wilder by the year. This year, I don't think there was a true benchmark phone.
5. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Not until media is there ... as Apple manages media pretty well. Even if Apple rfeleases a crap screen entire media goes drooling over how good it looks.
26. mick25 (banned) (Posts: 110; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
You don't even know what you're talking about.
Apple gained their market share from being there first. If other manufacturers release their flagship model to compete with the iPhone before the next iPhone generation is released, they have much more potential to gain market share by becoming the incumbent. That was Samsung's strategy with the S3, and it was indisputably effective.
79. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
If that was so apple should have been finished by now. I think i know what i am talking precisely :)
83. imkyle (Posts: 1006; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
If that was the case Apple would have been going down when the Galaxy S II came out.
4. cGmC11 (Posts: 110; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
Sound like that AT&T will unveil this phone in your unpacked event at CES!
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6579; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
That's what I'm hoping for :) if i dont get the GS IV this will be my top pick
16. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Some rumors says that Sony Xperia Z (a.k.a. Yuga) will be for Asia market while other model also known as Odin will be for the rest markets.
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
But Yuga and Odin specifications will be +/- the same.
65. darkkjedii (Posts: 11865; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I live n vegas, and attend CES every year...it's never unpacked.
7. techguy22 (Posts: 227; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
beat the next iphone for sure. its not like iphone 5s gonna be any different from its predecessor. sure apple will find a new gimmick for it just like the 4S . but S4 i doubt it. 1080P on S4 is gonna be awesome. iphone will get 1080P in 2030
63. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
even if its better than the s4 sony will need to do some extreme marketing coz the galaxy s series has really made a good image on the consumers and is bound to sell well riding on that image while sony is still trying to win back the consumers satisfaction. but if it can pull it off like nokia did with its lumia series, it might just get back on top. one thing im pretty sure it will beat the galaxy s4 at is the design. sony really needs to work on software update speed.
68. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Iphone always had a very good hardware and good battery life. And why would you need 441 ppi when 320+ is enough, ofcourse it is better but you do not even notice it in real world. I don´t understand why you guys trash iphone even though it is a great phone. And I hope Sony will change the display technology to IPS+ LCD or OLED.
77. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Interesting how you say 320+ is enough, because the iPhone has it. If the iPhone had a 316 ppi, you would have said 310+ is enough. Watching 1080p stuff in 1080p sounds good to me.
97. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Come on man, it was just an example. I don´t see any difference between 330ppi and 441 ppi.
88. romeo1 (Posts: 239; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
they are just saying that anything above the 300ppi was enough as we could not see the difference between those who had more but the funny thing is that we can see the difference.
The media is just said that we could not see the differencs but our eyes have a ppi around de 477 ;)
10. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
well, droid razr maxx HD doesn't has poor battery. what kind of smartphone today has battery life as good as 3310 anyway
9. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6579; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
If the GS IV won't come out before then I'll be buying the XPERIA Z. Xperia Z or the GS IV was my top two phones for 2013
12. skymitch89 (Posts: 1078; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Just another company for Apple to sue for no reason.
14. lee480 (Posts: 176; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Apple won't sue Sony. Steve Job built Apple based on Sony's model. Even if Apple sues Sony, Sony has million times more patents than Apple.
17. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5480; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Sony has million times more patents than Apple."
40. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Should Apple sue Sony, it'll be sued right back !
54. BattleBrat (Posts: 1096; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Yeah, I've noticed how apple has been pretty quiet with regard to Sony.....
61. zazori08 (Posts: 113; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
well that's because sony supplies apples camera sensors
84. ahomad (Posts: 153; Member since: 15 May 2012)
not just that, the patent portfolio that sony own is very strong, may be as strong as microsoft, thats why you have never heard apple sues sony, because they will lose for sure they are trying to avoid "waking the gaint". FYI sony just won patent sue against apple (well a company owned by sony)
92. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6579; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
SONY should SUE APPLE for stealing their prototype
94. bipinm (Posts: 122; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
thats not sony's style...
live and let live...
49. MauriceGerald (Posts: 18; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
As you know there are a lot of rumors that Apple stole ideas from SONY. I think some of those may be really true.So I don't think that Apple has "balls" to sue SONY. If they do it I think Apple will be in sh*t.
As we say "don't pee against wind"
15. unzip7 (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
I wonder does anyone know why SPRINT does not sell SONY phones?? There must be a conflect of intress?
28. tigermcm (Posts: 727; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
I was about to say they do but then I realized they sell sanyo not sony. This is a VERY good question I dont think I ever saw a sony from sprint
34. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5854; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
GSM versus CDMA radios? No Sony phones have been offered with CDMA radios if memory serves.
55. BattleBrat (Posts: 1096; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Well, the Xperia play was available on Verizon, but yeah, no Sony love for us Verizon folk, but then again Moto shows us plenty of love, I dunno if it is an equal trade off, just picked up a sony Xperia Tablet S and I wonder what
their phones are like...
43. Commentator (Posts: 2435; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Verizon and T-Mobile don't sell Sony phones either, just AT&T.
18. networkdood (Posts: 6274; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
2GB RAM should be standard for any phone