HTC game plan: HTC One refresh in 2013, M8 sequel in 2014
The M8 is expected to be powered by a faster processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800?) and will have a larger screen sized in-between the 4.7 inches on the HTC One and the 5 inches seen on the HTC DROID DNA. You might remember that the HTC One was originally called the M7 which is why the sequel is being called the M8 for now.
So that is the plan, at least for now. A refresh version of the HTC One with minor changes, and a more impressive HTC One 2 "M8" for next year. It is not written in stone, according to the tipster, which means that HTC could decide to go in a different direction.
1. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3692; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
M7 = HTC One
M8 = HTC Two....oh okay. :P
16. decent4u (Posts: 51; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
i was thinking the same "HTC Two" but it does not look as COOL as HTC One ;)
37. biophone (Posts: 1877; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I think HTC One^2 would be cool. HTC Two could work as well. Keeping the HTC One name is fine as well. Heck even M8 works. HTC One 2 sounds terrible though.
2. Rorschach (Posts: 37; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
This seems strangely familiar.. I remember last year HTC pulling the same trick with the One X just months after being released. This is sufficient evidence that HTC does not learn from their mistakes.
40. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Samsung is doing the same with the Snapdragon 800 version of S4, so, we shall see...
3. Epicness1o1 (Posts: 79; Member since: 30 May 2013)
If its going to be awesome like this HTC One,than I have no words just Nice work HTC!
4. tech2 (Posts: 811; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Oh Great 1 more flagship ! All the HTC One owners must be full of joy hearing this news !
5. wrm2013 (Posts: 109; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
DO NOT MAKE IT BIGGER THAN 4.7. GOD, I'm sick of 5inch phones. Dear companies, most people don't watch movies on their phones.
8. abdane (Posts: 448; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
you mean "some" you can't say "most", it is a big word :)
15. chebner (Posts: 37; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
+ 1,000,000,000,000,000. I'd have put more 0s but you get the point. Going bigger than 4.7 just makes a clumsy phone.
18. BadAssAbe (Posts: 433; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
wrm2013 is dumb, pardon my french, but having the HTC One with a 5in screen with onscreen buttons is better than having a 4.7in.
Bigger screen does not mean bigger phone if done Right
21. wrm2013 (Posts: 109; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
U mad bro. I have the HTC one. Screen nor phone needs to be bigger
26. Taters (Posts: 1743; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
You are a dumb ass like she says then because the HTC One is definitely more unwieldly than the Xperia ZL and GS4 which both use 5 inch screens. The stupid extra speaker makes it super tall and at 9.3 mm and that height it eclipses other 5 inch screened phones easily.
So yeah... You just look stupid talking stuff about 5 inch phones when your 4.7 inch phone is bigger.....
32. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 177; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
I think you are forgetting that HTC One has a curved design. As a result despite being 9.3 mm thick One feels much thinner in the hand.
35. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 177; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
"the One is easier to grasp because the edges are contoured the way they are."
31. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 177; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
I agree that a HTC One with a 5" screen with on screen buttons will not be taller, but it will be wider which may make it less easier to hold. Having an HTC One with a 4.7" screen with on screen buttons seems to be a much better option.
23. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Yah htc One having 5 inch display will be as big as note2 :)
33. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 177; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
You mad bro? HTC One is just 1 mm taller than Galaxy S4 and actually Galaxy S4 is 1 mm wider than HTC One. If they make it 5" and move to on screen buttons it won't make the HTC One as big as a Note 2. It will only make it 2-3 mm wider.
46. wrm2013 (Posts: 109; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
not sure what got lost. I DON'T WANT A BIGGER SCREEN. THE ONE IS FAR EASIER TO MANIPULATE THAN A GS4 . That was my point. Thank you
24. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
The fact that galaxy s4 is smaller than htc one means big.. i think most of the people now are watching movies or MV in their phones unless you are a senior citizen :) Dont you think that it is better to accommodate people who want to watch movies in their 5inch phones and those who dont THAN giving a phone just for those who dont want to watch in their phones Haha COMMON SENSE IN BUSINESS WORLD. Targeting different sides of the market in just 1 phone..
34. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 177; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
It's just 0.3 inches. For god's sake stop making yourself feel that the difference is much bigger.
39. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
I really dont care!!!
OUr point is that the idiot one out there just wants 4.7 because 5inch phones are big. But why?? 5inch gs4 is still smaller than htc one..
We are revolving in these facts..
25. Taters (Posts: 1743; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Especially since 4.7 inch HTC phones are already bigger than 5 inch phones from other companies.
17. decent4u (Posts: 51; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
haha yep they could only come up with this name ;)
7. wafflemuncherr (Posts: 12; Member since: 29 May 2013)
So is it even worth getting the One once it comes to Verizon if they're launching a refresh? Or is big red gonna wait another three months after everyone else has it for that one too?
9. imkyle (Posts: 910; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Do not do a refresh to a phone that does not need one. Focus on pushing out 4.2.2 and 4.3 to your One owner's.
10. tiara6918 (Posts: 1097; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
As expected, HTC repeating their same mistake by releasing multiple flagships a year
11. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
I as well am tired of these 5 inch phones
44. apple4never (Posts: 353; Member since: 08 May 2013)
if theres nothing else what is he gonna buy ?
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5166; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Then the M8 wont get the update like the one s or one.
14. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5421; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I may not even get the One...I'll probably just wait for the things from Moto's camp to rear their head.
19. ngo2dd (Posts: 728; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Phonearena report the whole story. The refresh would be an HTC one made out of plastic. It will not be a one +
20. jacko1977 (Posts: 330; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
and piss off blinkfeed i so hated that so much i sold my htc one
36. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5421; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
just what was so offensive about Blinkfeed?
if you take the few minutes it takes to set it up it's actually a nice little news aggregater.
28. wando77 (Posts: 193; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Therw is something wrong with the peopleon this thread that dont want better phones to come out. You bought a htc one..... a sslightly better version is coming....deal with it!!
Do you think new customers are gonna go into the shop and say 'you know what, I don't want a htc because they've made a better phone available to me'?
41. Firedrops (Posts: 193; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
Already the butterfly s is coming out with nearly identical hardware, and they still want to do a incremental update on the One?
42. LordLust187 (Posts: 18; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
HTC One+ and I hope it has a SD Slot this time around....
45. Epicness1o1 (Posts: 79; Member since: 30 May 2013)
If they do that than other manifacuters need to make high resolution cameras too and that will bring many losses to companys