Apple and Samsung exchange list of accused devices and infringed patents before patent trial 2
Last month, Koh tossed one of Samsung's patents, U.S. Patent No. 7,577,757, which covered the syncing of content across multiple devices. As a result, Samsung decided to argue that one of the four patents it has remaining, was infringed twice by Apple.
Apple's patents that it claims were infringed on:
- U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 for a "System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data" - Claim 9
- U.S. Patent No. 6,847,959 for a "Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system" - Claim 25
- U.S. Patent No. 7,761,414 for "Asynchronous data synchronization amongst devices" - Claim 20
- U.S. Patent No. 8,046,721 for "Unlocking a device by performing gestures on an unlock image" - Claim 8
- U.S. Patent No. 8,074,172 for a "Method, system, and graphical user interface for providing word recommendation" - Claim 1
Samsung devices that Apple claims were used to infringe on Apple's patents: Samsung Admire, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Stratosphere
The patents that Samsung asserts were infringed on by Apple:
- U.S. Patent No. 7,756,087 for a "Method and apparatus for performing non-scheduled transmission in a mobile communication system for supporting an enhanced uplink data channel" - Claim 10
- U.S. Patent No. 7,551,596 for a "Method and apparatus for signaling control information of uplink packet data service in mobile communication system" - Claim 13
- U.S. Patent No. 6,226,449 for an "Apparatus for recording and reproducing digital image and speech" - Claim 27
- U.S. Patent No. 5,579,239 for a "Remote video transmission system" - Claims 1 and 15
The Apple devices that Samsung says were used to infringe on its patents: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 4s, Apple iPhone 5, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 3, Apple iPad 4, Apple iPad Mini, Apple iPod Touch (5th generation), Apple iPod Touch (4th generation), Apple MacBook Pro
None of the devices are current-generation models although some, like the Apple iPhone 4s and the Apple iPad 2 are still being sold. Also, Samsung is seeking to have Apple's '172 patent for auto-correct technology invalidated. The USPTO will take another look at certain parts of the patent via a Re-examination. Check out the filing below for more on that issue.
The Apple via Samsung second patent trial is expected to begin March 31st.
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Most of the devices Samsung is accused of infringing aren't even sold anymore lol. Apple is looking at more damages since everything infringed is still sold, especially the Macbook Pro.
8. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 370; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Except for the fact that the president will veto the banning of any of Apple's devices.
12. night_elf (Posts: 38; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
The problem with the System is, even if Apple is found guilty there will be an other veto and no ban.
2. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
Why bother? Just take a glance at the judge and you'll be able to predict the result.
3. androiphone20 (Posts: 1451; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Since most of these devices are 2012 or later, some are not even being manufactured or sold anymore. The products can serve as a basis for damages or injunctive relief
11. PBXtech (Posts: 980; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Guess India won't be getting those overpriced iPhone 4's after all.
5. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 637; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
This is a highly specific and technical article.. See now, all the stupid iFAN / Sammy comments are missing from this article. Otherwise, we see a lot of comments like Plastic/copy/ icons/ lag/ cartoon ui/ boring OS/etc... LOL
6. mturby (Posts: 243; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
the judge is totally biased. she cant preside anymore on these lawsuit.
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 11454; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Obviously she didn't get that memo. How about you go tell her in person.
7. jacko1977 (Posts: 390; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
apple just wants the money back that they gave to samsung for parts and ban them coz samsung is a threat on sales
grow up apple and fight fair