x PhoneArena is hiring! News writer

Android 6.0 now appears on .5% of Android devices

Posted: , posted by Alan F.

Android 6.0 now appears on .5% of Android devices
The latest Android distribution figures have been released, and they show that Android 6.0 can now be found on .5% of Android devices. That is up 67% from last month's .3% figure, which had Google's latest Android build installed on close to the same number of units as its ancient Froyo version. Now, there is some separation between Marshmallow and Froyo. Nothing to be terribly proud of we know, but it could have been worse.

Android 6.0 seems to be slow in getting off the blocks. We might chalk this up to update fatigue. After all, the Android 5.0 and Android 5.1 updates seemed to take a lot of steam out of Android manufacturers. Speaking of Lollipop, Android 5.0 (16.3%) and Android 5.1 (13.2%) together have a 29.5% slice of the Android pie. That puts the previous-generation version of Android behind the 36.6% of devices running the more than two-year old Android 4.4 KitKat.

After KitKat comes Jelly Bean with 26.9%. This build of Android encompasses Android 4.1.x, Android 4.2.x and Android 4.3. Gingerbread (2.3.3-2.3.7), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3-4.0.4) and Froyo (2.2) round out the remaining builds listed, with 3.4%, 2.9% and .2% of Android phones running these versions, respectively.

Looking ahead, Google has just released Android 6.0.1 to certain Nexus models. The new version of the operating system includes new emoji and some minor adjustments.


source: AndroidDevelopers

FEATURED VIDEO

36 Comments
  • Options
    Close





Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories