iOS 6 vs iOS 7 design differences comparison: the end of skeuomorphism
iOS 6 vs iOS 7 design differences Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
HTC One 2 aka HTC M8 rumor round-up: camera, specs, release date and design
05 Dec 2013, 10:44
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
iOS 6 vs iOS 7 design differences
1. brar.arsh (Posts: 73; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Thats it? Only some icon changes and some added colors?
Android has this from years.. :p
Starting again Android vs Apple.. :D
2. Sauce (Posts: 441; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
The ignorance and conjecture of Apple haters will always give me a good laugh and second thought on their stance and intelligence.
13. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Why? Because the biggest overhaul in iOS history fits on 7 slides? Not only Android, but the jailbreaking community too, had these features covered from 4 years ago. Apple just puts plastic cover on the iPhone 5 and calls it a new product. Same here.
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
And as expected, a fanboy like you missed his point completely.
32. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
I must be the biggest fanboy ever, because the only smartphone I have atm is an iPhone 3G. It is stuck on a jailbroken version of iOS 4.3.1 with a iPad baseband(or something iPad) because I wanted to have folders on my phone. So yeah, taking the moral highground and calling people Apple haters and insulting them to score a point is not OK with me. I have my reasons for hating on Apple, it has nothing to do with starting a Android vs. Apple debate. I was just stating facts.
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Okay let me ask you this, have you even bothered using iOS 7 yourself?
40. bloodline (Posts: 676; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
I have used it...no big deal - grasp my attention for an hour because its new.. doesn't do anything different, im over it.
51. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
No. I'm waiting for the update on my brothers iPad Mini. I've been following iOS7 since the announcement, and I rather like the whole "flat and colorful" vibe. But my point stands. Apple is still catching up to other OS by implementing features that are long overdue. New maybe to iOS users that don't jailbreak, but not to the whole smartphone community.
57. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
iOS 7 is great. I've demoed every single beta on an iPhone 5 and it ran flawless. It's not up to par with other OSs in terms of features, but it's definitely a huge upgrade. Give it a shot before making your judgements on it.
73. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Hehe just in time, it's downloading... no more comments until I use it.
87. Sauce (Posts: 441; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
Thank you PapaSmurf. It is a good relief that someone understands basic vocabulary and the point of my statement. Fanboys give me headaches =,( or should I say Eye Aches... >.
94. Shatter (Posts: 1655; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Wouldn't be surprised if Apple just steals the code from the jailbreak community.
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 7791; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Sauce, why bother with these haters? Get and enjoy your purchase bro. Let em keep showing they have nothing else to do, but bother people. Oh and run benchmarks on their droids.
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I gave up a long time ago. Not even worth the time to type a paragraph explaining the other side of things.
Run benchmarks lol. +1
43. darkkjedii (Posts: 7791; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Me too Smurf. Someone attacked me on here the other day, and my response was "why even bother". I'm so over the flame wars dude, just wanna enjoy my devices, and chat with "techies". +1.
84. frydaexiii (Posts: 1133; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
If there was anything we wanted from iOS that we didn't already have on Android, yeah, we'd be jelly for like 5 minutes before we google how to get the same features on Android. Beside, anything that even remotely impressed me on iOS 7 was already available on Android before iOS7 was even announced.
Parallex = Have that.
New Font = Have that.
Control Center = Have that (And I'm not even talking about Quick Toggles, I actually literally have Control Center on Android).
Icon Pack = Have that.
Really that's all that impressed me, what else can you name that I should be jelly of?
89. TSTmp (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Sep 2013)
Elegance is something iOS have but Android doesn't.
100. frydaexiii (Posts: 1133; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Elegance? You mean how Jony Ive and Apple Employee No. Whatever tries to talk it up to be "refined", "planned from the beginning" and "all about the user-experience"?
Because it's not, it's just Apple forcing everything down your throat, which is why you get that consistency on iOS which I suppose is the elegance you are referring to. If Android took away all user option and stopped OEM's from using their skins, I'm sure Android would have achieved that "elegance" you're referring to. Just look at the GApps right now (GMail, Youtube, Google Now, Keep), I'd say they're already halfway there.
88. Sauce (Posts: 441; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
True that Dark. It's just become so tiresome to see the same repeated ignorance over and over again. I wish all competent and educated tech users can have their own bubble and just connect with each other on this site, separate from fanboys that like to shëp around and BAAAAAAA-ther us.
102. darkkjedii (Posts: 7791; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Coud be something to recommend to PA. I'm done with em though.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I disagree. iOS 7 looks better than iOS 6 imo. The overall feel grabs my attention more than it did before.
29. FakeMatt (Posts: 11; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
Apple could have replaced all the icons with clip art of feces and you'd say it was the pinnacle of art and design
76. stealthd (Posts: 751; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Having used iOS 7 for a couple days now, nah. It's better. No reason to go back.
9. Kurai (unregistered)
iOS 7 is iOS 6 on acid
20. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
hahha... thats actually a funny comment +1 Kurai!
10. papss (Posts: 2182; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
That's all there is because that's all this article is about. the physical changes of the icons.
14. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 532; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Yeah i feel the same way. I was looking to see a nice modern elegant unique looking ui. Like, windows mobile turned into windows phone
but its a big disappointment. Its fresh but nothing modern looks cartoonish/childish. I think its all because apples strategy of making OS tooooo simple... I think they should let it go... Too much of something is not good or boring
17. akki20892 (Posts: 1679; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
They use hammer on ios 6 to create ios 7.
68. Chaseism (Posts: 46; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Biggest thing you have to remember is that Apple teams worked separately for each other. iOS stayed stagnant because of Scott Forstall. The changes are more than just a few icons and added colors. The post even said this is to give you a few examples, not the full rundown of changes.
I know it'd burn your skin to walk into an Apple store, but go try iOS 7. Every OS is about user experience, not screen shots. You can't hate on the OS without actually playing with it.
70. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I don't think I've ever disagreed with something you've posted. This x 100.
103. frydaexiii (Posts: 1133; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Unfortunately, that's all iOS is good for, which is a showroom toy. It's smooth, beautiful and it performs well when it's on show. Believe me, I am guilty of constantly walking into the Apple store and meddling around with the iDevices for about 5-10 minutes and that's it, because anything more than that and iOS automatically loses it's charm and functionality and gets boring in less than an hour.
iOS is like that hot chick you pick up at a bar (no pun intended), she's hot, she's fun to talk with, have some laughs and hang out, but can you actually picture marrying, starting a family and spending the rest of your life with her? No way.
91. Legnaldo (Posts: 26; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
They have added some beneficial features like the quick settings and better multitasking. Though I do agree that most of the changes are purely cosmetic. I went through each stage of the beta's hoping for more features. I even hoped that they were going to add some features at full release not seen in beta; but overall its just pretty to look at in my opinion.
3. jbitounis (Posts: 44; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Hey there PA. Maybe in a future article, could you please elaborate on more fundamental changes, like the swipe integration, notification center etc. Thanks!
30. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
The article is about design differences. I'm sure they'll cover features in their review soon :)
4. nak1017 (Posts: 322; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
Is it just me or does iOS7 look oddly like WP8?
90. TSTmp (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Sep 2013)
They are quite similar in some degree. Both looks flat. I own some WP8 phone too and I do feel similarity.
Anyway only in term of visual, function of WP8 still decade behind.
6. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Beautiful! Apple knows how to design!
11. Kurai (unregistered)
Yeah! flattening the icons and making the whole UI rainbow colored is innovative right?
31. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Umm... Yea :|
verb (used without object)
1. To introduce something new; make changes in anything established.
105. vincelongman (Posts: 351; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I like iOS 7's flat theme, I think iOS 7's apps look really nice, some of the besting around.
But I think the tone effect/colors of their icons look too cartoony and doesn't fit the flat design.
Game center's icon isn't flat at all, it looks totally out of place. And the aero/glass effect (on notifications and control center), doesn't fit the flat theme and looks somewhat messy.
16. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 532; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Seriously...??? When i saw this i thought is that the best Apple could've come up with???
i am not an apple hater but this is a big let down
UI wise i rank them
1- windows phone
3- iOS 6
4- iOS 7
My personal preference...
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
1 - Android
2 - iOS 7
3 - WP8
4 - iOS 6
28. Jason2k13 (Posts: 427; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
weird... android should have been number 1 though, because it can look like 'anything'?
77. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 532; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Yeah it's just i like wp ui a bit more. I mean ui and app design looks cool in my eyes...
34. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Yes, very seriously. In my opinion, Android is a big big let down even years after being introduced. Haven't innovated anything, stock design is just boring and fragmentation really irritates me. Overall experience with Android is extremely bad.
UI wise I rank-
1. Meego (Just beautiful, Nokia at its very best.)
2. iOS 7
3. Windows Phone 8
4. BB OS 10/Web OS
5. iOS 6
6. Stock Android (extremely ugly IMHO)
37. DaNTRoN (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
the holo design is getting tired, i agree. i don't think KK will change the ui as its not a whole number update, but i hope 5.0 will change some things up. but android offers launchers to change the ui so that is a plus. i have used probably 4 or 5 different style ui's with android, from 3rd parties. so the choice is nice to have.
83. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 532; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
41. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Android hasn't innovated anything? Really?
55. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Lately, no. Nothing in Android UI has been innovative. By lately i mean since version 1.6.