Old vs. New: 4 things the Galaxy Note Edge's side panel did better than the LG V10's ticker
1. maherk (Posts: 3880; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
The V10 shouldn't have that 2nd screen to start with. Ditching it would ve resulted in a shorter phone, lighter, and deliveted a better battery life.
Instead of this gimmicky screen, why not give us front firing stereo speakers?
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 21686; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Agreed maherk, my best friend has the v10, and kept wondering if he could turn off the ticker screen. I'm not sure if it's possible, but an off switch wouldn't hurt. I'd go for the better speakers too bro. Check out the 50th edition Super Bowl article while you're at it.
8. Hexa-core (banned) (Posts: 2131; Member since: 11 Aug 2015)
He should check that article so as to do what?!?!?!
10. Wiencon (Posts: 1906; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
Give your head a break, your neck will be totally numb tomorrow
18. maherk (Posts: 3880; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
There many problems with this screen, it's position is so wrong on so many ways, the backlight bleed, the limitations that comes with it and many more.
A big reason why I might be moving away from Samsung is front stereo speakers, it is time this feature is a must on all high end flagships.
And I will do my friend.
37. Hexa-core (banned) (Posts: 2131; Member since: 11 Aug 2015)
There's no problem with that screen. I think that was a defective unit.
Oh mAh-erk, I've told you to STHU (Set The Heat Up).
Have you done it yet?
I'm ready already!
3. Hexa-core (banned) (Posts: 2131; Member since: 11 Aug 2015)
Paul! Your #1 "Easier to access" point is 100 subjective!
And do not forget that the curve and touch-sensitive sides of the Galaxy S6edgePus is prone to a heck of accidenial taps, hence a burden to handle.
That ticker set above the display, as how LG has done, is a better implemention.
25. Mreveryphone (Posts: 597; Member since: 22 Apr 2014)
Please Samsung bring that edge back... It's much more functional!
36. bur60 (Posts: 850; Member since: 07 Jul 2014)
I think that the ticker screen was overall much better than that edge. They should make a 5.2 inch phone with OLED and a second screen on top of it, that would be awesome and handy.
Also point 4 is invalid. The v10 also uses the second screen for native apps... I smell some Samsungbacking in this article...
41. wargreymon (Posts: 717; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
3. You can scroll the apps list on V10 also.
4. LG baked this into their camera app too.
Congratulations PA, you scored 50% correctness in this article!
75. paul.k (Posts: 160; Member since: 17 Jul 2014)
3. No, you can not. You have slots for 5. Scrolling across a panel will switch то the next one
4. Yet there is still another row of controls in the viewfinder
Please, kindly give us at least 78.5%
78. Hexa-core (banned) (Posts: 2131; Member since: 11 Aug 2015)
Alright, here's your 78.5%!
But if phonearena become more accurate in the infos of their article, then it'll be 99%.
42. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10278; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
I agree with the writer in that Samsung had a better implementation do to being able to do more.
I mean you can launch apps, in Samsung's SNote the edge has the tools, you get the ticker, in games you get your notifications without it blocking your progress.
Samsung also pulled it off without making the device bigger and bulkier. It also doesn't use enough power foe it to be a big deal like one poster tried to claim.
For the St Edge, it was mostly for design language and they shoved a feature into it. The concept was much better Edge+ model vs the original.
Having the apps launcher, ticker, the colored lights for calls is a nice treat.
Curious as to why there are no pics and notations showing the LG way.
45. Fellwalker (Posts: 367; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
Both are intriguing and I did consider each on launch, but neither works for me.
I never fancied the note edge because it made the screen smaller than the standard note 4 at 4.6 inches and also had a smaller battery but cost $150 more. I was convinced that just holding the phone would mean touching one of the icons on the side.
There is more logic to having the "second" screen on the short edge but if they do it again they should try to use e-ink so it doesn't have a hit on battery life.
The LG method is also cheaper, with the V10 coming in just under $700 compared to the edge's over $900.
46. fo0ling (Posts: 19; Member since: 07 Jul 2013)
In my opinion, I think Samsung did a better job at creating the concept of multi-tasking. First of all, they made the secondary screen on the edge, which is way better for me. The V10's awkward ticker on the top would be difficult for users to even reach that screen with one-hand usage. I'd prefer having more options on the side rather than just living with a screen that's always on. Regardless of killer specs, battery life would be a huge downer for me. V10's ticker is always on, therefore, it would be a no for me. Edge FTW!
80. catze86 (Posts: 726; Member since: 07 Dec 2015)
Edge FTW. If the Ticker in the Bottom like Sammy Continuum. I will say different.
81. Obádárà (Posts: 138; Member since: 02 Nov 2015)
... Thank God P. A is giving it to Samsung thus time around. The V10 is good, but the size may not make the ticker screen continuously useful...
82. darkkjedii (Posts: 21686; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hexa core, you shoulda just kept it about tech. Don't get your Deca core account banned. Play nice on that one.
83. tyson3 (Posts: 51; Member since: 15 May 2012)
I got rid of my edge for the v10 and the 2nd screen is excellent and works very well. The edge had a lot of issues and was prone to accidental touches. The v10 2nd screen works well with everything you do especially notifications! You can even customize it so it will suit your needs