x PhoneArena is looking for new authors in New York! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Nokia handsets responsible for 40% of the globe's mobile browsing says new report

Nokia handsets responsible for 40% of the globe's mobile browsing says new report

Nokia handsets responsible for 40% of the globe's mobile browsing says new report
The latest report from StatCounter shows that as of last month, Nokia handsets had the largest share of the mobile browsing market with a 40% slice of the pie. The Finnish based firm has a nice lead over Apple. That should be no surprise since Nokia had the largest market share among global handset manufacturers according to the latest stats. Mobile Safari accounted for 29% of the planet's mobile web users. It should be pointed out that data from tablets are not included in this study. Samsung placed third with 14% of those using a mobile browser having a Samsung device in their hand. RIM, which placed second to Apple in the U.K., had an 8.3% market share of mobile web browsers globally. At the start of last year, the Canadian based manufacturer had a mobile web share of above 30%. As a whole, Android handsets had just under 25% of the mobile browser market.

Since 2009, the marketshare of mobile web users has nearly doubled each year

Since 2009, the marketshare of mobile web users has nearly doubled each year

Apple, while second globally behind Nokia, actually had the leading marketshare of mobile browsers in the U.K. and in the States. And with the increasing use of smartphones around the world, it is not surprising that the use of mobile browsers has been growing rapidly. Starting from a meager .7% share of global browsing in January 2009, mobile web use has risen to account for 8.5% of all browsing by last month, nearly doubling last January's 4.3% share.

source: StatCounter via Read,Write,Web

Nokia has the largest share of mobile browsing accounting for a 40% slice of the pie

Nokia has the largest share of mobile browsing accounting for a 40% slice of the pie


6 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 08 Feb 2012, 01:29 1

1. drahmad (Posts: 478; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)


if the windows phone series succeed, there will be further increase.

posted on 08 Feb 2012, 02:01

2. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)


barely.. most of the surfing for Nokia comes from series 40 feature phones. remember that they sell over hundred million phones per quarter, with over 50 million being well surfing capable feature phones.
I'm surfing the web on a phone since 2006, and started with opera mini on a 176 x 220 pixel screen. Even back then I remember folks from Africa and southern Asia being the majority on instant messenger phone chat rooms.

posted on 08 Feb 2012, 10:49

6. -RVM- (Posts: 329; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)


Stop spreading lies. Nokia has 37.67% in browser traffic, Symbian alone has 31.89%.http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201101-201201
---
So basicly Symbian makes 84.7% of all Nokia's traffic. The rest (15.3%) is divided between S40, MeeGo/Maemo and Windows Phone Nokias. My estimate is, that S40 is responsible for some 5% of Nokia's traffic (or some 2% of global mobile traffic).

posted on 08 Feb 2012, 02:37

3. thelegend6657 (unregistered)


Bulls**t . I just use my Nokia n97 as a wifi hotspot and surf on the wifi only iPad or iPod touch .

posted on 08 Feb 2012, 03:26

4. BlazinEmperor (Posts: 35; Member since: 24 Nov 2011)


Not all s40 phones have a mobile browser, only few of them do... And remember that there are over 400million Symbian phones out there.

posted on 08 Feb 2012, 06:41

5. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)


lol, what?
almost EVERY feature phone has a browser and a GPRS. most of them have edge and Java support, and MANY have 3G, which is enough for downloading and comfortably using browser application such as opera mini.
I had 6 feature phones before buying a smartphone, and I used web browser and chat apps on five of them

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories