Motorola preparing cutting edge smartphone a la Nexus 4, but even cheaper, to launch in Q4
Google priced the entry-level Nexus 4 at $299, but Motorola could go even lower now.
The Motorola Moto X will allegedly be Motorola’s key device in North America where it fights the Apple iPhone, while in Europe the company will have a Nexus-like device under a different name, according to sources inside carriers. The information comes from Spanish publication ADSL Zone.
With cutting edge hardware, the Motorola flagship will have an unprecedented amount of power for its price. It is expected to feature a quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM, at least a 4.5-inch HD display, and an 8-megapixel camera that will record video in 1080p.
There could be a huge demand for such a powerful yet affordable smartphone and volume is what Motorola would be going for here. This time, Google has learned its lessons and should have enough demand for the busy Holiday season.
Nearly two years ago Google purchased Motorola, and since then has been hard at work making it all click together. We have not seen a Motorola Nexus, but if the 250 euro phone that is rumored now turns out to be true, it might change the Nexus model as we know it.
source: ADSL Zone
Alleged image of the Motorola Moto X.
1. Rocksteady (Posts: 183; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
Yes, let's hope this will make the new low-budget iphone dead on arrival.
Good luck Google and Moto.
Please, bring out the next gen Nexus 7 already.
21. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3515; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
You know what I am quitely waiting for...... a "NEW" Nexus 10.
That is what I want for the holidays this year.
2. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
If it comes with pure Android as rumored, good camera as rumored, and a decent battery as rumored, I'm buying it yesterday!
3. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Probably a Snapdragon 600-loaded phone for $250, if im seeing it as an upgrade from the Nexus 4 (and yet cheaper).
4. boosook (Posts: 770; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
So this probably means that in Italy we will see nor the Moto X, since it will not be distributed outside the US, nor the new Nexus, since Google never opened the Devices store... and we won't see the Google editions of the HTC One and GS4 as well. The situation is getting a little bit annoying, and Google must be careful not to upset european users too much, as Windows Phone has a great marketing and support here in Europe with Nokia... I understand that, in this moment, their major concern is to gain market share in the US where Apple is much stronger, but they shouldn't underestimate the important of the global market and adopt more global policies. People are not happy when they see that products are available only in the US or have much higher prices in Europe.
8. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Yes in terms of performance and everything but not in sales....
9. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Enough with the "will kill samsung". At this point that's like saying "x desktop OS will kill Windows"
6. aayupanday (Posts: 357; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Motorola should fit it with Snapdragon 800 or S600 atleast if they really mean what they're saying...
7. KiranPAUSER (Posts: 73; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
If i get
quad core processor,2gb ram, 8mp quality camera, 4.5" screen,2500mah battery,16gb internal + expandable memory stock android, under $250, then i'm your moto:-) buy buy samsung.
12. aditya.k (Posts: 409; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
So, are you going to BUY a Samsung or a Moto!? XD
10. techguyone (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I wouldn't hold your breath for expandable memory if it's a 'nexus' type device.
11. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I wonder if they're talking about a euro-spec Droid Ultra M. The successor to the Razr i and Razr M.
13. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2096; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Wow then they should also give good design and good camera.
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5637; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Motorola going too kick some a$$ when this phone comes out
16. ckoch125 (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
So how is this more powerful than the nexus 4? Seems like the same specs albeit maybe a newer processor?
18. kindlefireowner (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Fandoid's are idiots. How would this phone make a budget iphone D.O.A. If a budget iphone is released, it will released on dozens of carriers worldwide. This phone will not.
The average consumer will have no clue about this Motorola phone if it's released only off contract. I love the Nexus 4, but the average consumer have no clue about how good it is. The Motorola and Nexus are more for tech geeks like us not some housewife in Ohio. Who BTW, would want a budget iphone.
19. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Is the "affordable" iPhone even coming to the US? Seems to me Apple has done plenty well selling free iPhone 4s and $99 4Ss on contract here.
Although I do know a retired lady in NJ who refuses to upgrade on contract...
20. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 350; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Love it already. Just give a good battery. Preferably 2500maH+.
22. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I think they intend to take on samsung. Low price, latest updates, moto-google child, high spec. For that price I wouldn´t need the latest and the greatest ( snap 800 eg.)
23. Cyberchum (Posts: 202; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Coming to Africa? not counting on it. Arggghhh
25. sriuslywtf (Posts: 62; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Hopefully Googs could provide 64gig of memory.. Then hell with sd card! Shut up and take my money!
26. daniel_bargs (Posts: 322; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
The best-selling phone in the world has a removable battery. I hope every manufacturer who aims of being number 1 will take note.
27. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Correlation always equals causation. The best-selling phone in the world is made of plastic. No metal or glass phone can possibly exceed the selling power of plastic.
28. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 548; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Ok..I am really confused? If the picture above is the design for Moto X, what is that phone on this link?->http://blog.gsmarena.com/moto-x-to-sport-a-gesture-controlled-clear-pixel-camera/
The two designs are so different..!!! The one on Gsmarena is much better.. Looks superb...
29. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That's a months-old fan rendering. It looks so smooth and curvy because it's CGI.
30. Newton (Posts: 14; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
Better Spec'd then the iPhone 5. Stock Android so no lazy updates. Cheaper than the iPhone Lite. Shut Up and take my money.