More details of the Sony Xperia Z2 leak
The latest speculation keeps the silicon the same, which was said to be the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 chipset. The 20.7MP camera also remains the same as mentioned in the original rumor, but this time a Xenon flash has been added to the back of the device. No changes were made to the rumored RAM (still 3GB) and the 3500mAh cell powering the unit. Also unchanged from Friday's leak is the OS build powering the device, Android 4.4 KitKat.
We are told to expect the Sony Xperia Z2 to wow and amaze the crowd at CES 2014 in Las Vegas, which gives us less than three months to entertain more speculation about the phone.
Thanks, Anonymous Tipster!
20. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
BY 2014 people would complain that the SD800 is too outdated.
people are people, complainers are complainers and trolls are troll.
so really calm down about 2014 its far away.
this phone is great already and i dont see any reason waiting that long.
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5167; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Think i'll pass all these 2013 models and wait for CES 14' THE YEAR OF KIT KAT BAR PHONES. That way i can buy the latest or greatest. so now I'll stick with my XPERIA GO phone. Or may be the GS V KITKAT
28. timukh (Posts: 59; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
So when nokia was focussing on colors and cameras, everybody had so many complaints! But now seems every OEM is following the same trend!
"I own an android phone so I must hate and bash everything non android phones do"- android owners logic!
35. timukh (Posts: 59; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
who even said that?? Dont u read the comments in the nokia based articles? Hate and hate everywhere from android users.
41. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
they just hate nokia fanboy, because they are arrogant. just like how they brags about symbian the super perfect OS which is died now.
44. medicci37 (Posts: 530; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
I'd. I've seen more support for Nokia on here then the marketplace
49. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
k i think you are taking 12 year old trolls way to seriously.
its better to call them android abusers.
ruining public imagine an amazing developers platform.
i rather have all the trolls be on nokia and apple side than be on android site and ruin android name.
50. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5167; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
SO do I. but it's always good to wait if anyone don't want the JELLY BEAN or those that's stuck on GINGERBREAD with my Atrix 4G. I was stuck on gingerbread for two years never complain bout it.
29. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
And what happens 8 month after you buy new xperia in February and in october android 4.5 or 5 comes out? what happens to your latest and greatest phone?
36. sapibuntinx (Posts: 47; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Yeah we should wait for 2014, current Z1 is sucking ugly... Every manufacturer can make a great spec to their phone, but only few manufacturer can fit those spec to a sexy looking phone (Z1 is not included, it's just sexy when turned off)
47. heyhi (Posts: 106; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
the latest or greatest?? nowadays this is just for a short period of time...tech is so fast, market demanding is so high, so fast...the more choices you have, the more you want.
we are never satisfied.
48. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
that is perfect comment for "sapibuntinx" who just hates on every single phone. nothing can fulfil him and others like him.
51. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5167; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
well thats what great bout technology they keep evolving or getting better. CES, MWC, GOOGLE I/O IFA those are the times to wait if you want to see new upcoming devices.
43. akki20892 (Posts: 1673; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Android 4.4 kitkat will support 2k. Note this.
2. aokde (Posts: 184; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
i don't know, this doesn't sound right. i don't think sony would release a new flagship at this time's CES i'd go with them holding their own event like apple and samsung do..we should wait to see.
16. criticism (Posts: 45; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Sony is not loyal to its flagships!! Maybe we will see some specs of even Z3 in the following weeks! Actually it is easy for Sony to introduce several CUBIC design phones per year!
33. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
compare companies that provide android update to their old phone and compare the amount of time each company takes, not pointing any fingers but sony will come as better compared to other oems.
and you talk of loyal. this is some new complaint. usually its about bezels and screen dullness. people just keep coming up with more and more non sense each day.
innovating quickly is bad now?
23. pwnarena (Posts: 438; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
they're releasing z1 barely 9 months after the z. maybe what they'll release on CES is a phablet and won't be labeled the Z2.
3. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
...that is pretty much the same amount of pixels on the Nexus 10 and the newest Note 10.1, 1080p displays are enough for me...
10. hellonerds (Posts: 89; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
yeah 1080p is good enough for me... till 2015/2016 that is lol.. we just need to make better battery now lol..
32. AnukulVcool (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
after 2016 human eyes become more sharper and they start recognizing pixels even on 450 ppi displays
18. TheLolGuy (Posts: 449; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
The screen size yet the pixel density makes me think back to that LG article showing off a 5.5" screen with the 2560x1600 (or was it 1440?) pixel resolution.
Rumors of the next iteration so soon after the first should be a huge red flag to anyone. Besides, I think that Sony would rather have their display R&D team work on better contrast, range, tones, etc. as a priority. After all, 550ppi washed out colors are still washed out colors. Yes I know Triluminos and I do acknowledge that it is a vast improvement. I'm just saying ppi isn't the only way to improve the quality of a screen. Just like megapixels, more megapixels DO help, but start to see diminishing returns, especially under typical consumer usage.
Also, no company wants to release flagships bi-annually. The high-end market is already saturated, too.
39. TheM16 (Posts: 70; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
You forgot to mention the (IGZO) Indium gallium zinc oxide technology...which improves everything about the screen speed (response), size & resolution.
45. TheLolGuy (Posts: 449; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Triluminos is quantum dot technology. It can be applied to any LCD technology with a little R&D fiddling. That includes IGZO. The two technologies do not have to be separate.
4. veer.d (Posts: 78; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
I think it is going to happen at MWC 2014 in feb
5. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 449; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I hope the number of ppi is true. Take my money. But I really think someone is trolling with the leaks.
If the screen really is over 5", then keep the number of ppi over 440!
8. Subhangulzar (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Man if this leaks will become correct i will definitely go for the Z2 :D
Trolling is something else but this leaks gets the attention from whole world
6. sergiobr (Posts: 207; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
For just ... $ 1500 unlocked ??? Sony is too much expensive. No way !
11. hellonerds (Posts: 89; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
its funny how a metal phone can turn someone into a fanboy
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4162; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Plastic bricks... You're so creative! I would have never thought of that!
22. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5167; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
why act so shocked when you don't or anyone don't know the official price tag WAIT FOR RELEASE. the iphone 5s is the most expensive phone to date.
7. Noble_One (Posts: 37; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
Even with the spec bump it sounds like a refresh...
24. pwnarena (Posts: 438; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
won't be the case if it comes with a new design:)
13. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 462; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
it gets better and better,sony is just getting started..
19. Noble_One (Posts: 37; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
Agreed...why? Increasing the res that much while using the same camera, processor, and not focusing more on the battery? I just don't get it...remember hiw HTC used to come out with a new flagship every six months? Yeah...
15. imkyle (Posts: 911; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Lets hope their availability is better than the Z1.
17. jiezel91 (Posts: 45; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
500 ppi is an insane resolution bump. Why upgrade the pixel density that much when the battery upgrade is measly? I mean, the battery really deserves to be the area of utmost focus right now, more than anything else.
Still, I quite like Xenon Flash on a good cameraphone.
I just wish this rumor is true. Also, they should offer a mini version of this phone since I'm not quite a fan of phones going way beyond my 4.5 inch screen size limit.
37. ArtSim98 (Posts: 400; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Remember that it's an IGZO display. They use VERY little power.
25. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Really, what is the point of 500+ ppi? Most of us can't tell the difference above 400. Beyond that is just bigger-is-better bragging rights. It's a waste of GPU power and battery if you ask me.
27. amansingal14 (Posts: 260; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
So why buy a phone that is yet to be publicly released and will be replaced by January? Seriously I wanted Z1, but now, not even z2. I won't be buying S800 in 2014...
31. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 329; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
I just don't want to hear other fanboys saying "ooh" and "ahh" on their favorite brand when they bump their pixel density and resolution.
34. ARITRA (Posts: 37; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
this is bad marketing by sony..give some importance to your old loyal customers..also try to improve the softwarer features..
38. GMS85 (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
No Problem!! I will buy any thing that has "SONY" 'n it!. Meanwhile I can not wait for the Z1 to be released. Sony MAKE.BELIEVE. Cheers
40. TheM16 (Posts: 70; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
IMO ... people need to understand what the word "leak" means.
42. MistB (Posts: 508; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
LG have a 1440p Phablet in the pipeline for next year, 5.5-6 inches so maybe this rumor isn't as far fetched. The insane ppi I would think is for smaller Chinese/Japanese/Korean text. I remember 11 years ago when I had my dad's brick like Nokia 9210i people were saying the resolution on the big screen was insane and ridiculous and that it wasn't necessary whilst everyone had an 8310/7210 or a Motorola flip phone!
46. LG_is_the_best (Posts: 47; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Too bad Sony's UI is horrid... All the more reason to go with LG!
52. cellabonez (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
do you ever realise that sony mobile is the only company hasnt sued and being sued by another company? the ui i dont see any other but custom ui as the best but if you saw the ui on Z1 and experience it and you cant understand.