HTC Desire 816 now available to buy in Europe, costs around $400
An unlocked Desire 816 is offered for $405 (1,299 RON) in Romania. The version that's available has dual SIM support - which might not be the case with the variants sold in other markets.
Announced at MWC 2014 in late February, the HTC Desire 816 is a large mid-end smartphone that measures 6.17 x 3.10 x 0.31 inches (156.6 x 78.7 x 7.99 mm) and runs Android 4.4 KitKat. That aside, it offers a 5.5-inch 720p display, quad-core 1.6GHz Snapdragon 400 processor, 13MP rear camera, 5MP front-facing camera, 1.5GB of RAM, and 8GB of expandable internal memory. The handset comes with a 2600 mAh battery.
It’s said that the Desire 816 will also be released in the UK and the US, most probably starting May. AT&T might carry the new Desire in the US, but that hasn’t been confirmed yet.
HTC Desire 816
source: QuickMobile (translated)
1. akki20892 (Posts: 3302; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Love this design.... And great mid range phablet.
2. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2940; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Agreed, I hope to see this bad boy on major US carriers and maybe even some of the prepaid carriers.
16. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
If it does not come to the US, it wouldn't be too expensive to find one on eBay.
9. Kishin (Posts: 583; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Moto X is better in ways for less than $400.
10. ihavenoname (Posts: 1317; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
But as far as I'm concerned, it's US (UK???) exclusive.
12. amiroo3 (Posts: 10; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
i dont think so cus 816 much better than moto x in case of spc and design.
17. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Moto X and Desire 816 are in different category. However, with front facing speakers are very nice :D
4. fzacek (Posts: 1378; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Too expensive IMO. Costs more than Nexus 5, which is a much better phone...
11. fzacek (Posts: 1378; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
PA should add an option to delete your posts within a certain time...
18. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3940; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Many devices cost more than the Nexus 5 despite being technically worse. It's because Google is a huge corporation that doesn't specialize in hardware and can take small margins.
5. iphone5cuserguide (Posts: 3; Member since: 30 Apr 2014)
I think it's going to be a hit in the USA for sure
6. Firedrops (Posts: 215; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
I love htc's flagships(using the m8 now), but they always seem to overprice their mid-range and budget phones. Also, 5.5" 720p sounds like a horrible idea.
7. gamit (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Apr 2014)
quite expensive...shudn't be more than $330....screen is also quite large..5.5".. holding in hand..or keeping in pocket looks odd...
13. jibraihimi (Posts: 668; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
I think if htc had priced it at 300$-350$ range, then it would have kicked other midrangers out of the park........
15. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 194; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Can't you get an unlocked note 2 at that price?
19. mas11 (Posts: 1028; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I would prefer a Snapdragon 801 and a 5" display. That would make this the perfect phone for me.