BlackBerry browser is the fastest, beats out Opera Mini in average page load time
New Relic's study measured the page load times on mobile browsers. And as it turns out, BlackBerry led the way with the fastest results. The average page load time on the BlackBerry 10 browser was a swift 1.55 seconds. There was a huge gap between the WebKit built BlackBerry browser, and the next fastest one. That would be Opera Mini 4.2, which had an average page load time of 4.78 seconds. Mobile Safari on the Apple iPad was next with an average page load time of 4.91 seconds.
Once a sore spot among BlackBerry users (think about how miserable surfing the web was on the BlackBerry Storm), the browser has become a source of pride for the Canadian manufacturer. It all started back in 2009 when BlackBerry purchased Torch Mobile, a company then known for its WebKit powered Iris browser.
Revealing the most popular mobile browsers is another story altogether. Safari led the way with 44% of the mobile space, followed by the 32% share owned by the Android browser. Chrome was third with an 8.7% share. Next came Opera with 8.7%. and Internet Explorer with a 3.3% slice of the mobile browser pie. The zippy BlackBerry browser was folded into a catch-all group called "others" which had a miniscule 2.2% share.
With an average page load time of 1.55 seconds, the BlackBerry 10 browser is the fastest mobile browser
source: NewRelic via Crackberry
1. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
The BB10 web browser really is that damn good. Just goes to show you that that being the most popular doesn't necessarily make you the best.
3. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3540; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Well said.. That's something I religiously preach everyday....
8. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
But you can't tell this to users of the two top OS's. They will always find a way to put down your OS of choice...
10. alterecho (Posts: 1082; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
You don't need top two OSes to put down WP.
That said, though the browser on the WP is lacking severely in features, its the smoothest I've used/seen. Should see how smooth the BB browser compared to WP
13. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3540; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I disagree... You're not using it right. Read more tutorials.
16. alterecho (Posts: 1082; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
You disagree that its the smoothest browser?
- Is there a forward button?
- The history it pulls up, when you enter the starting letters is pathetic.
- Can you scroll through the list, when it pulls up whatever it thinks is right?
- Is there a way to place both the tabs button and stop/reload button on the search bar, at the same time. I use the tabs button the most, so its the one i put on the search bar, many times, i want to stop reload a page and to do that, i have to scramble to pull up menu.
- Can you set Yahoo as the default search provide?
- Can you set the homepage or favourites as Homepage?
Since it doesn't, i atleast expect it to bring up the site when i type the starting letter. But it doesn't.
It either brings up a page on the site instead of the main page or brings up something i haven't seen.
Since it doesn't do that properly, i expect it allow me to scroll through the sugeestions it brings up. It doesn't allow me to do that too.
Phew... I'm tired typing and i was only typing about the Browser and i think i've missed many more about browser..
23. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
WP, while not my favorite, is a good OS. Smooth as silk, a very well optimized for any hardware that it's put on. I prefer it to Android/iOS as well.
18. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 636; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Wrong.. we appreciate everything that is good in technology. Me Android user/fan, very excited to see this and appreciate the efforts of developers of Blackberry browser. Keep it up..
19. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 636; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
IE in mobile OS WP is also amazing.. but WP is stale.. Me, Android user/Fan appreciates IE also..
20. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Then you're one of the few exceptions. Most Android and iOS fans bash EVERYTHING else on this site that is not their respective favorites...
2. XperiaOptimusOne (unregistered)
I use Opera mini when I'm getting close to my data cap. I like their unique compression technology and the fact that its fast, but I still prefer chrome overall.
4. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3540; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I can't wait for IE11 in WP8.1..
IE10 works great, and 11 is supposed to be even better... Currently, I have no issues with IE10.
7. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
IE11 is pretty good on PC and on Xbox One. Still prefer Firefox (hopefully they will get native versions on RT and WinPhone). But IE makes Chrome look like a buggy mess (espically since "Chrome Apps" junk, made me go back to firefox for first time in 2 years).
5. downphoenix (Posts: 2317; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Damn... even faster than Linux Chrome, which is on actual desktop hardware that smokes what BB has. That is very impressive!
6. a_tumiwa (Posts: 264; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
strange... when i tested my BB Z10 vs my note2, i opened 3 website and note2 wins three of them, maybe the newest update of BB10 make the browser faster?
9. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 718; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
BlackBerry Browser for Android? Anyone?
11. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 819; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
That's nice, one has to award them something I guess for still using those BBs.
22. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
BlackBerry's are great devices, especially the ones running BB10. You should try one for a good length of time. You will be impressed.
24. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 819; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I've used a Q10 for quite a bit of time, I liked it but it didn't convince me to drop my Android.
25. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Really? Using BB10 had the opposite effect on me. After using it, I just couldn't use another OS as my primary. I promptly sold all of my Android handsets.
17. tenzin (Posts: 85; Member since: 20 Dec 2013)
Also my z30 full of apps running faster on dual core then my coleague 's s4 quad core
21. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Agreed! My Z10 is full of apps as well(I currently have 8 full pages/home screens of apps)and not only have not experienced any lag or slow down, but it's faster than my friends GNote 3.