Hey, LTE is still in its infancy and everyone is using their own spectrum - Verizon and AT&T different layers in the 700MHz range, Canada 2100MHz and Europe 800/2600MHz, depending which neck of the woods you are in.
Still, Verizon has posted a job for a "Global LTE Roaming Manager - Canadian and Western European Countries
", indicating that at some point we will be globetrotting between LTE networks. And not in a distant future at that - the position is looking at a 3-5 years timeframe to build carrier relationships and figure out the interoperability issues.
And there are many of those, apart from the MHz conundrum - the other carrier might be using IMS with VoLTE for the talking part, or switch to HSPA+ when a phone
call has to be made like AT&T does, or just us Skype, and it all has to somehow work, so the LTE Roaming Manager better be well paid. Read the job description below for the nitty-gritty:
The Manager of Global LTE Roaming is accountable for supporting the
overall marketing plan to bring global LTE roaming for Verizon Wireless
customers traveling overseas and also laying the groundwork for inbound
LTE roaming. This position will focus particularly on the Canadian and
Western European markets. The overall goal of this position is to drive
global roaming revenue growth, ensure a best in class experience on
international LTE networks, increase inbound roaming revenues, and drive
Verizon’s overall LTE strategy across the both noted global footprints.
This position will require an understanding of LTE, principles
surrounding wireless roaming, device planning and roadmaps, and key
interfaces with both internal and external stakeholder groups. This is a
unique opportunity to gain global experience and understand how Verizon
Wireless can capitalize on its LTE footprint for the next 3-5 years.
This position will require some international travel as LTE roaming
relationships are developed.
• Lead the strategic planning for Global LTE Roaming within the Canadian
and Western European footprints.
• Support inbound and outbound LTE carrier discussions with a focus on
building carrier relationships
• Support delivery of a ‘go to market’ package for global LTE roaming
and deliver to carriers overseas to drive roaming relationships
• Understand and leverage long term LTE network planning to take
advantage of inbound and outbound roaming opportunities
• Promote IMS/VoLTE/RCS through direct carrier meeting or support at
• Expand the international LTE roaming footprint through compelling
• Identify industry trends and developments to ensure Verizon Wireless
can effectively compete with new technology developments and
• Lay the groundwork to deliver a best in class global LTE services that
meet and exceed market demands
• Lead discussions and negotiations with a large number of carriers
• Prepare regular status reports for both the Global Services team as
well as senior leadership when required to read out on the status of
roaming plans and negotations
• Assist in managing carrier relationships and applicable contracts
where LTE is a major component
• Drive additional inbound and outbound roaming revenues, assuring a
long term profitable position
• Assist in decisions on all group administrative and operational
matters that have significant impact on the overall success of growth
• When required, meet with carriers in their home market or represent
Verizon Wireless at required international and domestic conferences
focusing on LTE roaming.