Apple launches iOS 10.2 and watchOS 3.1.1
The Messages app has a new "Celebration" effect, and an Emergency SOS feature will call for help with five taps of the power button setting off a three-second countdown. Besides the U.S., this feature will first be found in Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Russia, Spain, and the U.K. To install iOS 10.2, go to Settings > General > Software Update. Tap on Download and Install found at the bottom of the screen.
In addition, Apple also is pushing out watchOS 3.1.1 today. While no major changes are included with the update, there are a number of bug fixes that are being included with the new build. One minor change adds support for the new Unicode 9 emoji, and adds a feature that changes the skin tone of certain emoji.
The bug fixes that come with watchOS 3.1.1 include:
- Fixes an issue that could prevent contact names from appearing in the Messages app and notifications
- Fixes an issue that could impact ability to respond to notifications
- Resolves an issue where the Stocks complication may not update on the watch face
- Fixes an issue that may prevent the Activity rings from displaying on the Activity watch faces
- Fixes an issue that prevented the dials on an analog watch face from appearing after changing the temperature unit in the Weather app
- Resolves an issue that could cause the Maps app to stay launched after navigation has ended
- Resolves an issue where the incorrect date could be displayed in the Calendar app month view
To download and install watchOS 3.1.1, the battery on your Apple Watch must be at 50% or higher, placed in the charger, and within range of the iPhone. Go to General > Software Update.