Final version of Android P scheduled to be released in Q3 of 2018
Meanwhile, the first beta version of Android P will show up with the second developer preview, scheduled to be released in early May. In early June, developer preview 3 will include final APIs and the new SDK. A couple of weeks later, developer preview 4 will be pushed out. This will be a version of the new Android build that will be released for testing. Around August, we should see developer preview 5 followed by the release of the final version.
You can see the focus of each developer release by reading the following list:
- Preview 1 (initial release, alpha)
- Preview 2 (incremental update, beta)
- Preview 3 (final APIs and official SDK, Play publishing, beta)
- Preview 4 (release candidate for testing)
- Preview 5 (release candidate for final testing)
- Final release to AOSP and ecosystem
The first release of the Android P developer preview is not available through an OTA update. The Android Developers site says that later releases of Android P will be offered using this method.