You'll get a free Nokia Lumia 630 if you voluntarily leave your job at Microsoft in China
According to a recent report, Microsoft is sending enticing emails to the workers at its Chinese facilities, offering them free, brand new Nokia Lumia 630 smartphones. Sounds like a nice employee benefit, right? Well, think again - the workers will only get the new devices if they apply for Microsoft's volunteer resignation package and willingly quit their jobs. According to the report, up to 300 willing-to-quit workers per day are eligible for a free Nokia Lumia 630, which sells for roughly 800 Yuan ($130) locally. The devices are being given away in accordance to the "first come, first serve" principle".
Microsoft has declined to comment on the issue, and while it's sure that a lot of its Chinese workforce will have to look for a new job relatively soon, the total amount of layoffs that will take place in the most populous country in the world is still unknown.
Any thoughts on the matter? Would you willingly leave you job for a free smartphone?
source: Marketwatch via WPCentral
1. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1312; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
That's gonna be China's new flag in 2020.
2. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
MS should provide a 930, since losing a job is a pretty big deal.
8. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3546; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
They should give them free phones for the next three years!!!!
13. alterecho (Posts: 1082; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
That would be like rubbing salt to their wound (if its Windows Phone phones, you mean).
16. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2023; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Dude you aren't funny. So stop trying. Not everyone has to be. Chill!
25. tech2 (Posts: 2061; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I find him hysterically funny, tbh. Although me and him have had arguments on several occasions but gotta give em credit when its due.
Although he isnt the biggest WP fan sometimes his comments aren't insulting WP but just making fun of em.
P.S.: He probably is bigger Nokia fan then you but doesn't accept the OS just because its Nokia.
34. alterecho (Posts: 1082; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
That is another problem with WP devices. They can't. Atleast, not for a reasonable price. I tried to, mine
37. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1312; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
You're right. It's like that for most low end phones.
38. alterecho (Posts: 1082; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Its like that for WP devices. Mine is a upper mid range device (820 when it released) and i tried to sell it long back and recently. There were no takers and they explicitly stated WP as the reason. I'm NOT kidding here.
39. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1312; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
For a free 630, there's no need for a reasonable price.
20. hurrycanger (Posts: 1124; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Haha, Sounds better.
As soon as I read the title, I was like "wtf did I just read?"
I mean, yea, at least give them a 930. It's a job, which definitely is worth more than $130.
3. skyline88 (Posts: 319; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
asking someone to quit his job and giving merely a Lumia 630 ???
7. brrunopt (Posts: 508; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Read again ...
" the workers will only get the new devices if they apply for Microsoft's volunteer resignation package and willingly quit their jobs. -"
- resignation package -
14. skyline88 (Posts: 319; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
my bad, sorry.
i hope the "package" is not a set of earphone, charger and USB cable for that Lumia 630.
23. Liveitup (Posts: 1239; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Its not unusual for companies to offer severance packages. The fact that they are getting a smart phone out of it as well. Maybe these Android trolls gets a Mercedes Benz or some other really expensive product when they are layed off.
Everything MS does they get bashed, Google would let them go without a gift yet they will be praised by the tech media.
32. joey_sfb (Posts: 2924; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Liveitup. We are not talking about Google here, is Google having massive lay off as well?
18. Zenzui (Posts: 73; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
Yup I'm about to post this as well. That is totally undervalued their employees. It would had been "little" better if either laid off or resignation will get the phone.
Still downright insulting it is..
6. tasior (Posts: 215; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
It sounds like conquistadors, exchanging mirrors for solid gold...
9. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2661; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Instead give Android phones. As they'll not use MS' WP OS coz of hatred.
29. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3546; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
That's actually a good point!!... Give them the choice of all four.. Let them choose!!
They should just give vouchers for specific carriers... Transferable vouchers at that!
Curious though.. Why would you say Android?.. We have four great platforms to choose from..
36. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2661; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Coz Android is reigning supremacy as compared to others, second choice would be iOS. I'm hearing problems with BB and lately with WP.
10. xtroid2k (Posts: 366; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
MS should be ashamed of its self. And who ever takes the bate should be even more ashamed. This is horrible to say the least. I can't believe a major U.S. based corporation is engaging in this type of behavior. Its absurd and unacceptable. Its like people don't mean a thing anymore damn,
12. justrt (Posts: 6; Member since: 10 Jul 2014)
Well, I have 2 jobs and working both is a little overwhelming for me, so if one of them wants to let me go and give me a phone (I want an Android OEM flagship tho - Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One, Xiaomi Mi4, Huawei Ascend P7 etc.) I'll go. ;)
15. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Hmm I wonder what that package in tells? If its not a good honest package then that's hogwash and a very distasteful action and on the other hand it's China and those poor folks are always getting crapped on by their own government. It's a lose/lose situation for them.
17. romeshhh (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Jul 2014)
Companies are just down sizing, a job is just not safe.
19. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3070; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
If you lose your hand working for Microsoft in China, they give you $40, but then you have to buy your own phone.
Of course, this should be a smaller phone that you can easily use one-handed.
21. hurrycanger (Posts: 1124; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Not sure if I should find this funny or not... :-/
33. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3070; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
It's Microsoft's standard severance package.
24. jibraihimi (Posts: 695; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
"Hello There Elop", at least give them Lumia 1520 or Lumia 930.......
31. AfterShock (Posts: 2803; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Yeah, this is rude.
MS cough up a better choice or cash.