Samsung Galaxy S III 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update pre-release firmware leaks out
Luckily, pre-release firmware of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for the Samsung Galaxy S III has leaked out and the most impatient can start the update it right now. Good news is it has been tested confirmed to work flawlessly.
Among the major new features of the 4.2.2 update are lockscreen widgets, actionable notifications, tabbed settings and a brand new S Voice. There is plenty more that you’ve already seen in the Galaxy S4, now being transplanted into the S III.
Take into account that the update isn’t completely finalized and by the time Samsung rolls this out in June there might be more to come. Right now, though, you can get a lot of the S4 features on your S III, and that’s not something to miss for those who like to experiment. Hit the source link below for more instructions on how to install the update.
More popular slideshows
Samsung Galaxy S III 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware leaks out
1. _Bone_ (Posts: 2104; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
So the year-old S3 gets 4.2.2 before the fresh HTC One... and you wonder why ppl. buy the plastic reparable over the metal brick.
7. hateftotti (Posts: 135; Member since: 03 May 2011)
SAMSUNG 2012 flagship Andoird 4.2.2
HTC 2013 flagship Android 4.1.2
That is the difference :)
11. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Someone has started thumbing down lol :)
13. abdane (Posts: 474; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
updating Galaxy S3 from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2
the difference is 0.1 and yet... it have more features and improvements than iOS 5 to iOS 6
25. frydaexiii (Posts: 1178; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Come on, I'm pretty sure it's been established at this point that iOS X update are just 0.X updates. Look at iPhone OS and look at iOS 7, tell me if they actually did some redesigning from the ground up somewhere or just kept adding stuff.
27. jonartpop (Posts: 155; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
This is what I love about Samsung. I don't find any reasons to hate Samsung when it comes to this thing. Haters are gonna hate anyway :))
42. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
How do you know its before the One? THIS IS ONLY A LEAKED UPDATE. IT WAS FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY. IT AIN'T AN OFFICIAL UPDATE!!!!.
I'm pretty sure HTC has a test build for 4.2.2 as well. You can't compare it like this.
Lets wait for the offical update that Samsung releases through Kies before we compare
46. lallolu (Posts: 229; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
If HTC has, how come there is no leaked version out yet?
2. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
OhMY!!! Cant wait for my note2.. Samsung you are the best! F*** 2013 flagships are still running 4.2.1
3. _Bone_ (Posts: 2104; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Looks fluid too on the 2012 flagship. The funny thing is, the 4.2.2 S3 might just be a little more responsive than the S4, at least until boyz @ Samsung figure out how to simplify the SW for all the new sensors and tech. In the end, the S4 SW wll live up to the HW performance.
6. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Do you have s4? The update rolled by samsung and the carriers has fixed the lags. I read some users comments in androidcentral forums.. Anyway, kudos to samsung.. What i dont like about the new touchwiz is the new music player and dialr pad skins.. i am in love with what s3 and note 2 have
8. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 240; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
No, 11.25GB is the max user space, but the remaining space is 10.84GB :)
10. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
I know it, im just curious that the touchwiz here took a little internal space while s4's max user space is about 8-9GB and 10.** in my note2
14. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 240; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
maybe bcuz of the bloatware that s3 is not going to have.. or maybe this is this beta and the release version is going to be bigger..
5. hateftotti (Posts: 135; Member since: 03 May 2011)
SAMSUNG 2012 flagship Andoird 4.2.2
HTC 2013 flagship Android 4.1.2
And that is the difference ...
15. FiddyPence (Posts: 21; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
This is a leak, lets wait for the actual launch please ?
47. lallolu (Posts: 229; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Leaks are usually almost as good as the real thing. Furthermore, when a leak comes out, it means the real deal is around the corner.
9. robinlim85 (Posts: 85; Member since: 03 May 2013)
that's what we call swift firmware update
wonder why people don't complaint about repairing a dent/chips "premium" metal brick case cost $180 dollar when samsung "plasticky" body cost $30
12. johnriii (Posts: 221; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
THIS is why HTC doesn't stand a chance vs. sammy. it's not just the HTC One Vs the S4, it's HTC One vs the S4, S3, Note 2 AND S2. Sammy's deck is so stacked it's ridiculous. BTW, i'm purchasing the S3 on UPGRADE in July, for less than $50. can HTC offer anything even close to that value, absolutely not.
16. soban1997 (Posts: 5; Member since: 11 May 2013)
wait im confused, so is the update released or is it GOING to be released? and when will the carriers release it?
44. imkyle (Posts: 970; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
The international version should get it June, so I'm guessing... Fall the carriers should push it out.
17. bparkerson (unregistered)
I wonder if these added touchwiz features will effect the overall performance in a negative way? I'm curious too of the file size of this update!
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6144; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
HTC fans only care bout body construct. While the GS III owners gets the SOFTWARE UPDATE and while the HTC ONE software just sit there in LIMBO.
20. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
But why the hate, or dislike Gadget, it's still Android™
30. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6144; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
U gotta remember one thing when buying earphone TEOLL. Don't buy earphone from a company that WONT UPDATE the software or you will be stuck n shot out of luck. That's why I don't buy HTC phones cause they always screw up the older models and force u too buy a new one.
40. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2993; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Bad prediction issue?
Or you typed too blazing fast?
39. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6144; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Thanks 4 commen wildcard. Plus 1 for u. N my bad on mistyped. Damn keyboard.
22. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
It is not yet a final firmware
31. febzz (Posts: 11; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I kinda doubt that S3 will have those features as the Phone does not have additional sensors for the features. I had an S3, now have an S4 and I notice that there are more sensors on the top/head of S4 for those features. I may be wrong, but that's my guess.
23. wildcard (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
That is my boy sammy always doing their job... go my boy sammys bring happines to the world ,love it ^-^!!!
26. AFnerdTP (Posts: 82; Member since: 15 May 2012)
no need to bash on HTC guys..
i'd rather have all companies that make great phones do better on all aspects so that we can have more choices!! It wasn't long ago when Samsung took quite a while for their updates too.
right now though.. it definitely seems Samsung is on top of their game on most things Galaxy related, aside from some consumers not liking the plastic build.
29. johnriii (Posts: 221; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
not really "bashing" HTC, but having been an owner of three HTC products, I feel I have some "skin in the game". Samsung vs HTC was started MOSTLY by HTC, with their "next big flop" comment. Samsung was quietly dominating apple methodically, and HTC decided to snip at the heels of the monster. honestly, I would prefer the HTC build with Samsung quality. but in two months, Sammy gets my cash. slap a decent case on my new shiny "quality' device, and I'm good to go!
33. samsung4ever (Posts: 36; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
For all those complaining about the galaxy phones made of plastic and not being premium, well the galaxy s4 actually has gorilla glass 3 while htc one has gorilla glass 2... another thing is on my galaxy s4 i bought a high quality aluminium battery cover for only $15 on ebay, now the front is gorilla glass 3 and the back is allumimum what else do i want? also i can easily change the back if it scratches unlike htc... samsungs the best and fk the rest
37. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Hahaha exactly samsung offers most customization to an already brilliant os! hTC is still good though....
34. Klamba92 (Posts: 195; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
That's really great that Samsung are nearly ready to roll out he update,but remember this is still pre release software and does not mean or will be here soon. As I remember about the same thing coming to the galaxy now 10.1 and s3 but the release was still 3 months later!
36. Quezdagreat (Posts: 412; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
So what this mean is if you want the latest update, you have to buy a Samsung phone? Good job android smh
41. Klamba92 (Posts: 195; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
No you want the latest updates as soon as released you get a nexus! OEMS are improving but still have a long way to go! But good for Samsung, hopefully HTC, Sony follow suite soon!
43. Quezdagreat (Posts: 412; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Not good enough. Every year more and more smartphones are left in the dust not getting a software update forcing them to get a half working third party version of the update.
38. rusticguy (Posts: 2820; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Com pare this with Sony which is still keeping 2012 phone upgrades to 4.1.x in queue.