Report says Apple is using two vendors to supply the 8MP camera lens on the Apple iPhone 5
Both companies provided the 5MP lens modules for the Apple iPhone 4, and thanks to the large number of orders from Apple, the two firms combined for a 27.5% marketshare last year. With the continued popularity of the Apple iPhone, if the report is legitimate, their combined share can only move higher this year.
While many different specs have been rumored for the Apple iPhone 5, the one constant has been the expected 8MP camera on the back of the unit. As early as May, we reported on speculation that the next gen iPhone would have an 8MP shooter. In June, Bloomberg also said that the iPhone 5 would feature an 8MP camera. You know that old saying about where there is smoke there is fire? In this case, you could almost bet the farm, that the Apple iPhone 5 will have an 8MP camera on the back.
source: Cens.com via AppleInsider
1. ajit pundeer (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 11:52 1 1
well that is obvious to stay in competetion
3. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 12:09 5 9
Which is about the only thing that is competitive on the iPhone 5, that is.
5. taco50 (banned) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 12:46 7 8
Just one dumb comment after another. Get over it no one cares about live wallpaper.
7. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 12:50 8 3
Right, that would be because the leading smartphone platform in the US is Android - by a large margin.
Get over it taco. It doesn't matter how many stupid and ridiculous law suits your rotten iCompany is gonna throw around - Android is here to stay.
44. baldilocks posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:46 0 3
Unless Apple can prove it was their idea. Which, wouldn't hurt MY feelings any.
52. Lucas777 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 21:09 0 1
hahah just wait unil apple is making so much money from android oems they will be forced to use wp7-- wp7 is a much better competitor in apples mind as it will have to start all over again, and microsoft is more apple friendly than google..
but apple is making so much bank off of the iphone anyways its not like they really need a lot more marketshare
14. Kjayhawk posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:38 4 1
how is that a dumb comment...
20. E.N. posted on 05 Sep 2011, 14:21 1 1
Because it isn't true. Aren't you a smart one
25. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 14:38 1 1
Care to show some proof, E.N.?
61. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 06 Sep 2011, 09:54 0 0
Dont worry about them. Their battery does not last long enough anyway.
26. quakan posted on 05 Sep 2011, 15:49 1 0
you say that but the number one selling smartphone in the US is the iPhone 4 and 3gs is still in second place after 2 years.
33. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 16:17 1 2
Ahh yeah. So? What's your point. That the iPhone is one phone and Android is on many phones?
40%. 28%. Nuff said.
27. ardent1 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 15:53 2 0
1) The competition has settled around the 5MP as the standard. I understand the higher end phones have 8MP shooter, but see point #2.
2) Since not all 5MP shooters are the same, my iTouch 4G camcorder records better HD videos than my 5MP Motorola Triumph.
3) I am looking for to the new iPhone and I hope they upsize the screen.
28. firebo14 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 15:56 1 0
There will be a 16MP phone coming in the future. That would be better than the iphone 5.
2. Joshing4fun posted on 05 Sep 2011, 12:03 0 0
Will this thing just come out already! I'm tired of hearing all the rumors.
4. abs01 (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 12:39 1 5
so iphone coming with 8 mp, within month android phones will come with higher mp n "iphone 5"will stay unreplaces for at least a year so I think iphone 13 or 14 might just match up with the pace of android development...
6. taco50 (banned) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 12:47 5 2
New androids are coming out with 8mp cameras. If you new anything about cameras it's not all about mp anyway.
65. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 06 Sep 2011, 10:28 0 0
It's not all about MP, ''it's Carl Zeiss what matters''. NOKIA
70. XiphiasGladius posted on 07 Sep 2011, 03:35 0 0
No I think it goes like this " It's the Zeiss that matters"
73. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 07 Sep 2011, 07:28 0 0
Either way it sounds good.
29. ardent1 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 15:56 4 0
In Japan, they had 5MP or 8MP shooters for years before the US consumers had them. In fact, it's not uncommon to see 14MP shooters on Japanese cellphones in today's markets. You can say andriod and apple are catching to the land of the rising sun.
40. remixfa posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:41 2 0
we are almost always behind japan as far as phone features and such. sad but true.
8. abs01 (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 12:58 2 4
well if it wasn't all about mp then why is "your Apple" moving on to 8 mp from 5 mp..... dude think abt it n then reply dnt just write anything to defend apple, unless they r paying u for defending apple every time
10. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:03 2 2
I think they are, abs01. taco50's behavior has been consistent with that of a hopeless victim of Apple propaganda. His mind has been altered at birth to serve the iCompany.
We can only rejoice that such a condition is not considered contagious as far as we know.
32. stealthd posted on 05 Sep 2011, 16:09 1 0
That doesn't mean they're never going to improve the megapixel count. Take your own in advice.
37. biophone posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:15 3 1
8 mp is better then 5 l. However there are other factors besides mp. Apple's 5 mp is better then alot of 8 mp.
41. remixfa posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:42 2 1
not according to the last round of user blind voting on camera quality. The iphone placed pretty dismally compared to all the iDiot hype. Without the shiney apple logo on it, its just another crap cellphone camera.
45. biophone posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:51 2 1
I actually did pretty good in the first one. Compared to all the latest androids and a 1 year old iphone
53. remixfa posted on 05 Sep 2011, 23:05 2 1
way to contradict yourself. It was put up against android and it lost. It lost against the SGS1 before and lost against most every android 8mpx now.
so its either "better than a lot of 8mp" or its not. The fact that its 1 year old means nothing for the CAMERA QUALITY.
proving once again, iDiots blindly defend apple even when they are proven wrong. "its better than an 8mpx... oh wait.. it lost to all the 8mpx.. well.. its because its a year old!" lolol
stand behind your product or move aside.
64. biophone posted on 06 Sep 2011, 10:03 0 0
It is better then alot of 8 mp camereas but not all of them. When there is good lighting the iphone's camerea is excellent. I also said it did good against the modern 8 mp phones even though its a year old not it sucked because its a year old.
71. XiphiasGladius posted on 07 Sep 2011, 03:41 0 0
Some of them even claimed that the 5mp of the iPhone4 is better than the 12mp of the N8 which is obvoiously and undoubtedly downright ridiculous, I remember Engaget made an article comparing both cameras, but it was later proven they rigged it the favor of the iPhone4. . .
9. M0nkeyBr posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:00 1 3
Look I think 5 megapixels is enough anything over that is stupid
23. anastasiabeaverhausen posted on 05 Sep 2011, 14:34 0 1
totally - furthermore any display over 3.6 inches is stupid too
72. XiphiasGladius posted on 07 Sep 2011, 03:44 0 0
then the 3.7 inches of the iphone5 is stupid? LOL
Remember Screen size is a matter of personal preference, which vary in every individual. . .
11. abs01 (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:15 2 7
yea ur right ilia1986, taco should just accept the fact tht android is far more supirior like I said maybe iphone 13 or 14 wud catch up android hopefully...
13. zuno gyakusatsu posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:37 8 2
the only thing android does better than iphone is have higher return rates. and crash.....and fail....and lock up....and freeze...
15. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:40 2 6
Right zuno. Right.
40%. 28%. Do the fracking math, iSheep.
24. anastasiabeaverhausen posted on 05 Sep 2011, 14:34 0 4
39. biophone posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:21 3 2
When you consider the entire platorm ios has more market share. If you consider phone by phone iphone is king. If you consider it by company apple is number 1. They are the only one who uses ios so it makes sense less people have it when you only consider smartphones. There are tons of android phones and 4 iphones. Comparing ios market share is pointless its a small platform android is huge. That doesnt make one better then the other. Considering has small the platform is its amazing how big of a marketshare it has.
42. remixfa posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:43 2 2
of course.. when you compare non phones! lets put MP3s in the comparison too!! yaay!! gotta buff those numbers somehow huh?
46. biophone posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:54 2 1
I said entire platform which includs ipods and ipads. Android is only leading in smartphone marketshare. Your posts just says what i said.
54. remixfa posted on 05 Sep 2011, 23:06 0 0
if you include only ipods that are on iOS4, i highly doubt it. if you inlcude every ipod ever made.. even those that are no longer in use.. maybe.
most people dont buy ipods anymore. cellphones are too cheap to justify it. Why spend 300 bux on an ipod when u can get a used iphone for 150 on craigslist.
55. remixfa posted on 05 Sep 2011, 23:07 0 0
i especially highly doubt it because when you look at OS vs OS, ANDROID is still winning.. and thats not just smartphones, thats the entire OS platform.
57. ilia1986 posted on 06 Sep 2011, 00:05 0 2
Android 40%. iOS 28%. Smartphones only.
Conclusion: at least in the US - Android is regarded as the BETTER choice compared to iOS. Yes, if more people choose product X, than product Y - product X is better. In this case - we're talking about type of smartphones. Android smartphones are better. Period.
60. remixfa posted on 06 Sep 2011, 08:15 0 0
we were talking about ipods too. taco and bio like to throw "well ipod touch's run iOS too so they should count!!" lol.
62. biophone posted on 06 Sep 2011, 09:59 1 0
Whose the sheep now. If more people have it its better. Sounds like a sheep to me.
At remixfa When you include all things running ios which includes ipod touch and ipad then ios is greater number wise then everything runinng android. You talk about smartphones only android is greater number wise.
12. warrenellis93 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:22 4 0
i read the headline fast and i thought it said apple suing two vendors to supply the 8mp camera
16. maccmill posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:44 0 1
LOL Android phones were getting 8mp cameras before the iPhone4 came out. Way to stay fresh and ahead of the curve apple. There are already phones with 14 and 16mp cameras.
36. RageQuit posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:05 3 0
yeah and most of them sucked, The 5mp camera and SGS phones where better than all the cameras then. companies focused on MP just to make the spec sheet look better.
17. abs01 (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:46 0 3
and only thing apple does well is getting scared from competitio n start suing them, n how can I miss this, 1 more thing apple does well is hiring people like u to defend them
18. anirudhshirsat97 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 13:55 1 0
love it or hate it. I-phone 5 is going to sell in millions even though i dont think it will match my sgs2 in anything spec wise, except maybe the camera.
19. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 14:00 1 0
Maybe. Remember that the iPhone 4 at least was on par with the specs of the N1\desire, HD2 and the Evo when it came out. Now we are talking about a phone which is already outdated spec-wise. This will be nonetheless a good test to see how smart customers are, and just how easily manipulated they will be by Apple propaganda.
22. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 14:32 1 2
Haha E.N. I said it before:
1Ghz Dual core processor vs 1.2 Ghz Dualcore processor on the SGS2 (I'm not even counting the Note here).
4" max screen vs 4.3" screen.
Can't call it "Magical and revolutionary" now, can you?
31. stealthd posted on 05 Sep 2011, 16:06 1 0
You realize you're talking about a phone right? The only thing improved specs does for Android is make it almost as smooth as an iPhone. Enjoy your your useless quad-core processor in the future.
34. ilia1986 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 16:18 1 2
And - allow faster browsing speeds.
And allow the UI be more graphically intense.
And allow better multi-tasking.
And allow better overall performance.
35. taco50 (banned) posted on 05 Sep 2011, 16:26 2 1
Screen size is a a preference. Bigger isn't better to everyone. Otherwise why not make a 20 inch screen?
Dual 1ghz processor is the standard right now. There's a couple phones out there that are higher, but dual core is definitely not outdated. Apple's a5 chip outperformed other dual processor tablets by a lot in tests.
More market share equals better? Who's the sheep now? If 40% of people have android and only 20% iPhone then aren't you the one following the masses?
iPhone 4 is very competitive with any phone on the market today despite being over 1 year old. iPhone 5 will set the standard when it comes out no matter how much you wish it wasn't so.
38. warrenellis93 posted on 05 Sep 2011, 17:21 0 0
you people have nothing better to do than to measure your worth by what kind of phone you have? The world isnt going to last forever, i dont want to spend my time babbling over specs that in two years wont mean anything but show how silly you acted over antiquated garbage