Confirmed: iOS iPhoto using old OpenStreetMaps data... without credit
1. Doakie (Posts: 1099; Member since: 06 May 2009)
So Apple stole something and took the credit for it? No way. They've never done that before.
6. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2649; Member since: 26 May 2011)
You can't steal something that's open-source and free. You can use it without credit, but you can't steal it.
14. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
why is apple using openstreet maps though? it seems like they would use their own maps-- not some open source one… maybe google is putting on the pressure
2. PAPINYC (Posts: 2183; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Why those iThiEves.... . ....... .... ... ..... ...... ....
3. quryous (banned) (Posts: 106; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Sounds like old times, doesn't it.
4. baaam (Posts: 61; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
If this iPhoto became a success they might buy OpenStreetMaps and do some patenting. LOL
5. LoneShaolin (Posts: 307; Member since: 14 Jan 2012)
To cover up the fact that they stole the data in the first place. Pretty sneaky iPhail.
7. Hallucinator (Posts: 339; Member since: 24 May 2010)
So does that mean Htc, Samsung or Motorola Stole Android? No, because its open source you dunce. Try paying attention. Michael spelled it out for you earlier but apparently you guys have a real difficult time comprehending.
9. Hallucinator (Posts: 339; Member since: 24 May 2010)
Nope, just gets annoying when people can't comprehend a simple sentence. You illiterate bro?
17. baaam (Posts: 61; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
definitely mad!! define illiterate?! i guess someone who can't read and write!! try again!1 LOL
10. gallitoking (Posts: 4680; Member since: 17 May 2011)
thank you Michael.. for bouncing back on a great article... you are the best of writers even though some people read but don't understand...
13. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2649; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Reading can be difficult, especially when people just want to jump into the comment thread to sling some mud.
16. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
yeah, agree with you..
but at least a small footnote credit would be nice from apple's side, just like what Michael have stated..
but, it's open source, so it's not stealing.. it's just like when your mom left some apples for you to eat, and you just eat them without saying thank you to your mom..
15. tward291 (Posts: 559; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
well good luck trying to compete with google maps all this will do is push google to make there product better consumers win
18. roscuthiii (Posts: 1785; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Credit where it's due? From Apple? Not without a court order.