Apple looking at "Waze" to improve Apple Maps
The latest buzz is that Apple and Waze are negotiating a deal although the two are pretty far apart. Waze, which had less than $1 million in revenue last year, wants $750 million for the company while Apple is offering $400 million. What makes Waze a better fit for Apple than Foursquare is the latter's more limited reach and the idea that a sign-in service isn't as reliable as tracking moving cars is. Waze has added Waze Ads which is a location-based ad network that allows local companies to grab the attention of nearby drivers, another tool that Apple could use. And since the Apple Maps fiasco began, Waze has seen a surge in downloads to 100,000 a day, a 25% increase. At the same time, the app has increased its marketshare to 10% of U.S. Apple iPhone users from 7%.
Will Apple be able to close the deal? Stay tuned!
source: TechCrunch via FierceWireless
1. Ninetysix posted on 03 Jan 2013, 12:49 19 1
We already have google maps. No need to hurry in improving the built-in one.
24. buccob posted on 03 Jan 2013, 15:10 2 3
Well, that only counts for US and Europe countries, while most of the world still lacks google Navigation, Street View and other features...
Here in Venezuela, Waze is extremely popular due to google Navigation lack of presence and I have been wishing for months that Google acquire them... but it seems is gonna be Apple who does the right move.
The moment google saw that "google buzz" was failing, they should have bought Waze...
36. thelegend6657 posted on 03 Jan 2013, 18:38 2 1
I agree with you , street view and turn by turn isn't available in my country either . I live in malaysia a 3rd world country like yours . I love Nokia maps , waze and garmin .
Apple maps does have turn by turn nav in Malaysia , but then again I tried it a couple of times it always takes me to the wrong place and reroute is pretty flawed
38. thelegend6657 posted on 03 Jan 2013, 18:45 2 1
Sadly , google maps isn't available for my country's App Store yet
9. networkdood posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:28 5 0
'I would ask for.....a billion dollars'
~ Dr. Evil
40. Tsoliades posted on 03 Jan 2013, 20:30 0 0
I hope they don't get bought. Waze is my favorite GPS app on Android and everyone knows Apple will remove it from Android.
3. PAPINYC (limited) 5 days ago posted on 03 Jan 2013, 12:58 11 1
One sure waze to improve Apple Maps is to uninstall it!
35. thelegend6657 posted on 03 Jan 2013, 18:35 1 1
It would be more than happy to uninstall apple maps , I use wake on both apple an android devices because google maps doesn't offer street view and turn by turn nav in my country . I also hope that waze would be available for wp8 as I plan to get a wp8 device . Nokia maps is great , but I love the live traffic reports and the social aspect from Waze
4. networkdood posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:23 3 0
So, I guess the deal is a long WAZE off, right?
5. opensourceftw (banned) posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:24 3 2
LOL. Further proof that apple cannot innovate and IOS is garbage. That's all they do folks, buy apps and pay others (Samsung, LG, Sony) to make the parts that compose an iphone.
7. networkdood posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:25 1 0
at least apple recognized the issue...not sure if Jobs would have done the same thing as Cook did in trying to improve the situation...
12. opensourceftw (banned) posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:37 2 1
Eh. This isn't like the antenna issue or the i5 camera issue, so it's not a fair comparisson. There was no way for Cook or apple to say "You're using apple maps wrong" or "it's supposed to do that".
They HAVE to adress it since there really is no way to spin it into being user error. Let's not pretend like apple has an ounce of altruism.
14. PhoneArenaUser posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:46 1 0
Agree, but Apple was still able to say "It is normal!" talking about iPhone 5 scratches out of the box.
15. opensourceftw (banned) posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:53 2 1
That's what I'm saying, there was absolutely no way of spinning this. apple didn't apologize because they care or in any way give a sh*t, they apologized because they had to in order to placate the masses.
apple Maps was such a collussal failure that they had to own up to it.
21. Ninetysix posted on 03 Jan 2013, 14:38 2 4
What do you think about this list that shows you which companies Google bought?
Are you saying that they can't innovate and that android is garbage because they bought out so many companies?
6. networkdood posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:24 1 0
'huh, huh, huh, APPLE maps got me waze off the twack of that WASCALLY WABBIT'
~ Elmer FUDD
8. networkdood posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:26 1 0
Gee, I wonder who comes on this site and arbitrarily -1s everyone?
11. Whateverman posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:29 5 0
I don't like hearing that Apple is planning on buying any company. Typically it means that whatever app or service that company provided will no longer, or never will be available to users of other platforms. Sometimes even users of older iOS devices. Bye, bye Waze...it's been fun.
13. opensourceftw (banned) posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:38 3 1
"Get the iphone 5S, now with WAZE! Designed and developed EXCLUSIVELY for the iphone 5S!"
Calling it now.
16. SoopaManLuv posted on 03 Jan 2013, 13:55 1 0
Here's one "waze": stop being di--'s and go back to Google Maps...o wait, I 4got my Gnex has that built in. Never mind...
17. Luuthian posted on 03 Jan 2013, 14:06 1 0
The more they try to improve Apple maps, the more I feel like it's wasted money. It will take the program years to clean itself of the taint and enter a somewhat competitive level with Google's service.
Apple should spend more time building their cloud services IMO. More and more users appear to be using them for business around the globe. Why not focus on that?
18. Azure01 posted on 03 Jan 2013, 14:12 4 0
I hope Apple can't acquire it. They'll probably find some way to screw it up, probably make it a paid app at least.
19. opensourceftw (banned) posted on 03 Jan 2013, 14:19 4 1
iphone 5S with iWaze. They did the same thing with SIRI. For those that don't know, SIRI was an app on the app store anyone could download, until apple purchased it and made it an "exclusive" feature in the 4S.
20. ultimatebatman posted on 03 Jan 2013, 14:33 1 0
They're so desperate to build in a year what Google built in 10. They won't best Google maps by smushing together every other map system they can buy.
26. opensourceftw (banned) posted on 03 Jan 2013, 15:33 0 0
But we can sure have fun watching them try!
22. ilani posted on 03 Jan 2013, 14:53 0 0
WAZE is the best! Its severely lacking in North America, but in the middle east everyone has it! everyone uses it! the more use it the better it becomes.
Waze has a lot of potential! Apple knows this, and so do the current owners of Waze!
I can't believe Apple is being so cheap about this!
23. ilani posted on 03 Jan 2013, 15:00 0 0
fyi, there's a typo! the way the article reads is that apple doesn't want to pay an extra 350 million for a company that makes less than 1000 million (billion). it's implying it makes close to 1000 million but not exactly. that makes no sense! i think you ment less than a million, not billion!!!
32. Ninetysix posted on 03 Jan 2013, 16:53 0 2
Gotta love these guys...Pure entertainment.
33. lubba posted on 03 Jan 2013, 17:23 0 2
This is great news from Apple. Lets hope the deal goes through. Then bye bye google! Also the news of Samsung's tizen is a pleasure. Lets hope they succeed. Then bye bye google! 2013 shaping up to be a bye bye google year!
34. roscuthiii posted on 03 Jan 2013, 17:33 0 0
Apple buying Waze brings two things to mind:
1. Apple is basically saying, "Maps? Er... yeah, we have no frigging clue."
2. The Apple enthusiasts that will claim Apple innovated crowd-sourced navigation all on it's own. And the possibility that Apple Legal may have the same sentiment...