Samsung having problems producing 441ppi displays, possibly for the Samsung Galaxy S IV
The 441ppi pixel density on the HTC DROID DNA matches the pixel density on Samsung's rumored 5 inch display
According to a report out of Korea, Samsung has been struggling to mass produce these displays because of the evaporation process technology that it uses. Samsung Display is trying to obtain advanced LITI technology from 3M that allows OLED material to be more smoothly printed on glass. Those with knowledge of the situation say that Samsung is still having difficulties with the technology. Blue-colored materials are slowing down Samsung's mass production of the displays.
The source says that due to these problems, Samsung might not be able to release the device using the panel (purportedly the Samsung Galaxy S IV) on time. Speculation is that the next Galaxy S smartphone will be launched sometime in the second quarter of 2013.
1. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1044; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Hey Samsung, take your time then! I'd die for a 1080p amoled screen and anything less would be disappointing.
6. Retro-touch (Posts: 248; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Totally agree they should aim for third quarter or longer to get a great product rather than rushing things
22. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
One day we are definitely going to get smartphones with 6 inch with 2560*1440 resolution..
43. phljcnth (Posts: 255; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
It's all about preferences. Some may prefer the vivid ones over the more natural-looking displays, and vice versa.
50. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5392; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Agree, someone may prefere short lifespan, Burn-In effect, not natural colors, not clear and not sharp images... It's all about preferences... (sarcasm)
52. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
aww... you sound mad. believe it or not, most people don't edit photos professionally on their phone, and prefer the vivid colours.
53. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5392; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
No, not mad just sarcastic. :)
I agree that not all people care about natural colours, clear and sharp images on their phones but it still doesn't change the fact that not natural colours and not sharp images are more disadvantage than advantage or I'm wrong?
Also why would anyone should prefer display which has shorter life span and easily gets Burn-In effect? Should it be somehow useful for user? I don't think so! :)
59. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
shorter life span? I'm not gonna be using my phone for more than 1.5 years max, like most people. Burn-In effect? I have't seen that happen with any current gen SAMOLED HD
56. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Some people prefer lower power comsumption, higher contrast, higher refresh rate, more saturated and more vivid colours. Although I've never experienced burn-in effect since I'm using AMOLED screen(N8, GSII now the GNOTE II), it is not much of an issue since most of us don't keep a phone for more than 2years.
58. doejon (Posts: 316; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
yep and i love amoled cuz natural colors i see all day long lol
26. rudlie (Posts: 182; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
later, samsung will send 1080p in 5.5". super amoled screen can not be above 350ppi
38. AbhiD (Posts: 64; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
it would be better if you die for a 5 inch 1080p IPS screen with OptiContrast panel+PixelEyes+WhiteMagic+MobileBraviaEngine2+pure RGB matrix, which would feature in upcoming Sony ODIN/YUGA.
i humbly request you not to die for a fake and oversaturated screen as it's not worth ur life...!!!
64. bipinm (Posts: 122; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
This is Good news for Sony...When Yuga lauches there will be nothing to compete with in Display...
42. tahnik (Posts: 125; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
No samsung is probably going to use OLED screen soon...
44. phljcnth (Posts: 255; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I just hope they fix the screen burn-in issues of AMOLEDs. Mine's already showing little disparities of blue subpixels in just three months.
60. -box- (Posts: 3706; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
You'd die for that?
Your expectations are too low.
I'd have a heart attack for a 8K screen with all-day battery life in the same-size body
3. blackspot (Posts: 102; Member since: 14 Nov 2012)
A possible 5 inch screen on the Galaxy S4? I wonder what the screen size for the Galaxy S5 will be & if Samsung will keep going bigger.
9. Commentator (Posts: 2291; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
As long as the bezel shrinks at an equal rate I'm totally fine with that.
14. Mr_Hyde (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
4.8 inches is my stopping point. Above that I have problems with the ergonomics of my phone.
4.3 - 4.5 inches is my minimum - Preferable sizes & best for my hands.
37. abdane (Posts: 473; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
5 inch is the maximum screen size i will have on a smartphone !
4. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
I'm keeping my S3. If production problem persists, looks like we have an S3s to look forward to smh.
7. refreak (Posts: 29; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
samsung logic - human hands and there pockets get big each year, by 2015 human hands will be large enough to use samsung galaxy s6 7 inch and note 5 8 inches perfectly
11. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
They are actually "training" us unconsciously with bigger screens. Have you ever tried using Galaxy S3 after using Galaxy Note? It feels small as hell! lol
If they keep on increasing screen sizes in conjunction with narrower bezels, it's all good I reckon.
40. haseebzahid (Posts: 1797; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
then by their logic we will be holding 15" phones or what ever by 2020 i find it funny that they still increasing the sizes although Koreans have small hands compared to their phones
49. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
How do you deduce to that conclusion? 15" phones? Now you are being ridiculous.
62. haseebzahid (Posts: 1797; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
by the rate of increase in size every year if this stupid over sizing doesnt stop 15" is no joke i think 4.7 is massive enough for human hands for a moblie that we have to make call from
63. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
That is absolutely asinine how you come to that.
So by your logic if the 100m sprint world record gets reduced by 0.01 second every year, in about 1000 years the 100m sprint record is 0 second. LOL
You are totally ridiculous buddy, how you linear interpolate the figures and come up with 15" phones by 2020. More than anything there's a threshold and the size of phone will stagger off to say about 5 or 6 inches. Anything above that will be classified as "phablets" and tablets.
15" phones? LOL that's just total idiocy. Don't even reply buddy, I don't have time to converse with children.
65. haseebzahid (Posts: 1797; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well ur point is totally irralevent cuz sprint is NOT achiveable in 0 secnonds but making 15' moblies is preity possible dumb only people not use to it
lol to ur second point i was making a joke of that 15" . its obvios they must stop this crazy oversizing phones taking the trend to wrong side tablets are tablet and let phones be phones and
ur last point should point to samsung not me cuz i aint planing to get 15" phone that was a joke dont know why u guys take jokes that seriously like samsung but seriouslly u think 5" is ok you sound even more foolish and hidous on that immagine u had to make a 45minuits call i bet u cant hold the phone for 45minuits that is 5"
41. Mr_Hyde (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Yeah, Samsung surely likes to test the waters.
16. dillonc (Posts: 6; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Samsung isn't trying to make a phone that is the perfect size for a human hand because for one, everyone's hands are different sizes no matter how much apple wants you to believe otherwise. And two, they are providing what the market demands, we aren't just using our phones for talk and text anymore. These things are mini supercomputers that require larger displays to enhance usability.
8. jacko1977 (Posts: 382; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
i think 5" is enough from sgs 4 here on out unless it be like sgs 10 with 12" lol i don't think so if apple can get away with keeping same size screen for 5 years im sure samsung can
i would of done
2 years at 4"
2 years at 4.3"
2 years at 4.6"
2 years at 4.9"
see the patten lol
10. darkskoliro (Posts: 934; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Do smaller AMOLED pixles die easier if they are smaller? If so they should stick with 720p!! 300+ is allgood
12. shnibz (Posts: 153; Member since: 18 Sep 2011)
Good! Go buy the HTC. Quit jocking Samsung so hard.
13. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
i couldn't agree with you more. the super lcd 3 display is fantastic. Also I think it would be dumb to have the galaxy s4 with a 5in. screen.. you might as well buy a damn note
15. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
HTC? Really? I'm against giving Apple my money. aha
45. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Yea, What Hyde Said.. THEY'RE PROSTITUTES!
19. Mr_Hyde (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
I used to be a big fan of HTC. Now they're being pimped by Apple, which means what whatever HTC phone I purchase, Apple gets a cut.
In this case, I'd side with Samsung, just to cut Apple loose.
25. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
lol wow. well better not by any thing that has Droid on it
34. Mr_Hyde (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Yeah, George Lucas has that word on-lock as well. He gets a cut too.
23. Mr_Hyde (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
So what you're saying is that premium smartphones with small, unremovable batteries, as well as lack of sd card slots is better than having the option for removable batteries & micro sd card slots?
30. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
is that a serious question? not everybody needs or wants all that memory. I mean if you like having tons of HD porn videos then that's your provocative ..
32. Mr_Hyde (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Provocative? You meant Prerogative right?
Saying HTC is better than Samsung is just as broad of a statement as the one that I responded with. I'll agree that the build quality of HTC's phones are a step above Samsung's, and I even like HTC's screens better. I'll even go as far as to say I prefer HTC Sense over TouchWiz.
Other than that, maybe I read that statement out of context, but both companies have their strengths & their weaknesses.
To be overly broad, I can't agree with statement 18 as a whole; especially when HTC is being pimped Apple.
46. ghanemsam (Posts: 59; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
ha so you agree that HTC is better than samsung in a lot of things lets talk about your first comment ,, removable battery ???? are you serious ???? they all said it just a weakness in HTC's flagship but no one said its weakness in the iphone second comment lack of sd card who wants more than 32 GB in the One X and 64 GB in the One X+ its not a weakness man they are just biased to samsung and apple
20. Rocksteady (Posts: 196; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
I think 5.0 inches are big enough for screens, maybe the next step will be flexible phones.
Samsung's logic is to innovate, not accumulate.
21. bayhuy (Posts: 285; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
Hey, Sammy...spend some money also for new designers...
29. redmd (Posts: 857; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I doubt they would do away with a different design. it's still the galaxy series after all. some metal would be welcomed.
31. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
and new materials...the plastic is getting old
27. redmd (Posts: 857; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I wonder what the size of the next note would be.
28. rudlie (Posts: 182; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Samsung always make rumor pre-launch product to humor at the launching event
35. gallitoking (Posts: 4680; Member since: 17 May 2011)
they have to rush as Samsung knows is the perfect time as no big competitor will release a flagship so they have to release if they want to brag about millions of sales
57. SleepingOz (unregistered)
So you mean that the iphone is no big competitor to Samsung's flagships, since the best selling weeks of the GSIII were after the ip5 release. It's really funny coming from an apple fanboy.
61. gallitoking (Posts: 4680; Member since: 17 May 2011)
thats not what I said... Samsung drop the SGSII in the states weeks apart form the 4S and got beaten by Apple in sales... thats why the they went back to their normal released date.. no enemy in sight
36. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
This is ridiculous.
Screw that, Samsung.. just put a 720p screen with a Note 2-like pixel matrix.