Poll results: Gold-colored smartphones - hot or not?
Only 18.72% of those who voted (792 users) truly dig gold-colored smartphones. Almost half of all voters (47.33%, meaning 2,057 users) said that they might like them, but in the end it all depends on the actual design of a handset - because some devices can look good in gold, while others would be just gaudy. Finally, there are 1,497 voters (34.45%) who definitely won’t be buying any golden smartphone anytime soon. Or ever.
If you didn’t have the chance to vote while the poll was still active, you can certainly share your thoughts about gold-colored smartphones in the comments below.
P.S.: just in case there’s someone out there who doesn’t recognize the four smartphones pictured above, these are: LG G2, HTC One M8, Apple iPhone 5s, and Samsung Galaxy S5.
- Gold-colored smartphones - do you like them?
792 votes (792 votes) Yes. They have a "je ne sais quoi" that attracts me.
2057 votes (2057 votes) Maybe, but it depends on the design of the smartphone.
1497 votes (1497 votes) No. No, no, no.
1. fzacek (Posts: 2066; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I usually just like a simple, sleek, matte black-colored smartphone...
41. steedsofwar (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
I used to think the same thing and I still do, except I just replaced my glossy black LG G2 for a gold matte version. From the pictures, it just looked pretty lame but in the flesh and real life, I found that it was striking for me. I instantly loved it, but that may be because the non glossy back was VERY welcome and a change from all of my previously black and white phones that were getting a bit tiresome.
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Me too. The OnePlus One and the Oppo Find 7a in black color for example.
27. apexKBC (Posts: 92; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Im nt a iphone fan at all
But i have to agree iphone looks gorgeous !!!!!
33. vincelongman (Posts: 1555; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Silver phones are quite nice too
But gold phones just cringeworthy, especially gold plastic phones like the S5 and G2
2. Bioload25 (Posts: 213; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
34% No no no no...pretty high number,didnt expect that
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The S5 in gold color looks horrible.
6. fzacek (Posts: 2066; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Yeah, the S5 and G2 look ugly and unnatural. Definitely the best looking gold smartphone is the iPhone 5S.
9. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Agreed. But gold colored phones are a bit overhyped imo.
18. 3rdDegree (Posts: 171; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
I think metal finish devices would suit gold better than plastic grade
17. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
You need to go and see eyes doctor
20. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yes, you do. You also need to go and see a psychologist too, because your mental problems is getting worse.
22. maherk (Posts: 1107; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I truly feel sorry for you. All your life is built on hating anything that isn't called Sony, especially Samsung and Apple. Anyways am glad you finally came out from under that rock you were living under when articles were flooding the Internet about the Z2's production problems and how it won't make it to the US, when you were killing us with your annoying comments on how the Z2 will give the s5 and m8 a run for their money.
24. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I feel sorry to myself too because there's a stalker called maherk that is replying me with BS every time I comment. If you're smart and fair, you will know that FriendsOfSamsung is here to bash every thing that isn't called Samsung, but you agree and support him. How pathetic...So, you aren't a Samsung fanboy? Yeah, keep telling yourself that.
28. hboy857 (Posts: 230; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
maherk is still angry because you called him/her mamasmurf. I thought that was one of the funniest comment i ever read. Great comment, man.
5. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1239; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
iphone 5s looks great with the gold side edges and logo. the rest is just golden brown..
8. PBXtech (Posts: 980; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
I'm not a fan of it but from the ones shown above, the HTC looks the best. Commenter said it best on the original article, black with a gold trim would look the best. I'd buy that before any of the options above.
13. MacWiNux (Posts: 73; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
remember Xperia Ray for me that was the best gold color option for that time... at least at the back only..
14. PBXtech (Posts: 980; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Matches the black front, top, and bottom better.
15. Neo_Huang (Posts: 520; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
I personally like phones to be black with red accents or vice versa. (I.E. HTC Droid DNA)
19. Furbal (Posts: 376; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I -do- not like the iPhone, but the rest look terrible in gold and I own a g2 and a s5...
21. ErenJaeger (Posts: 119; Member since: 22 Apr 2014)
I like android but I'm not too biased. To be honest, apple pulled off the gold color the best. It's the only phone that uses gold to look elegant instead of appearing as dull old yellow color.
23. gigaraga (Posts: 1357; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Somehow the GS5 looks quite nice. It doesn't have that band aid colour...band aid colour is more skin tone where this is like champagne gold so definitely a huge fan of the colour
26. maherk (Posts: 1107; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
The whole band aid thing started with a photoshopped picture of the S5. The gold color on the S5 looks NOTHING like the one on a band aid, and anyone who believes so surely didn't see the gold version in front of him neither did they ever used a band aid.
25. Diezparda (Posts: 210; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
iPhone 5S was gorgeous, to me they are more like fashion icon. I love android smartphone even more because of wide selection smartphone for various user needs and htc one m8 in gold wasn't really bad either.
29. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3575; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Iphone 5s looks best in champagne gold. All gold is just pain for eyes and invitation for thieves. But still only black phones for me. White phones only if the front bezels are black like lumias, xperia NXT or nexus 5.
30. andro. (Posts: 1970; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
The galaxy s5 looks horrendous in gold because it looks like a cheap plastic gold like jewellery from a cheap discount store. The gold Iphone certainly is the best looking of the gold handsets and with teenage girls being a huge portion of apples buyer base the colour has proven popular with them
31. Dude2014 (Posts: 181; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
iPhone 5S is the best looking gold phone because it's not fully gold Color and half of it is white.
32. LiquidGalaxy (Posts: 242; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
If its done right then yes, they look great. The 5S looks great because its so subtle, the other 3 are way to over the top and therefore look nothing but garrish...
34. JC557 (Posts: 1149; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I'm more in the maybe camp. In person the HTC One M8 and iPhone 5s in gold looks quite nice and pretty classy, the pics make them look brighter than they really are(stupid marketing tricks really). Then again it's not fully gold but kinda like champagne gold which looks better than the fully solid gold color. It's also the anodized aluminum that helps make the gold a little better looking.
I think the iPhone 5s in gold has the best color combo (in person) with the HTC One M8 in second. Still I prefer my gun metal gray M8.
36. azers07 (Posts: 27; Member since: 17 Aug 2013)
I would vote to replace gold version with cyan =)
37. rayman173 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Gold looks good on the premium built devices (a.k.a the Iphone and the HTC One M8)
40. tedkord (Posts: 5080; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No, gold looks tacky on all devices. Gold is OK as an accent color, but when there is a lot of gold it just makes the owner look attention starved.
43. isprobi (Posts: 219; Member since: 30 May 2011)
Gold colored plastic is just silly. Gold mixed with another color just looks like bad design. All gold on metal looks nice. But really if gold is what you want then nothing is better than real gold rather than gold color.
44. Immolate (Posts: 288; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
I'm not one of the 18%, but I'll go out on a limb and say that 18% represents a niche of the market that's worth catering to.