Leaked photos show off the aluminum-clad Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime
Other expected upgrades to the device, compared to the Samsung Galaxy S5, include the use of a quad-core Snapdragon 805 CPU as opposed to the Snapdragon 801 CPU employed on the regular version of the handset. The Adreno 330 GPU on the regular version of the phone, is replaced with the Adreno 420 GPU. And instead of the 2GB of RAM found on the Galaxy S5, the Galaxy S5 Prime will feature 3GB of RAM. There is talk that Android 4.4.3 will be pre-installed on the unit.
Besides the QHD screen and the other changes, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime is made with an aluminum body. The speaker has been moved to the bottom of the phone from the back. Many out there will tell you that this is the phone that Samsung should have released originally. And while the average Joe on the street might not care, there is bound to be negative feedback from some Samsung Galaxy S5 buyers, who would have rather used up their upgrade to buy a premium version of the phone. How Samsung addresses this issue, if indeed it does, should be quite interesting.
As for the pictures below, we would suggest that you take them with the proverbial grain of salt. That is not to say that you're not looking at the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime, but we should be respectful of the fact that the phone has not yet been announced by the company. Our source tells us that the phone is currently undergoing testing.
More popular slideshows
Leaked pictures of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime
Thanks, Anonymous Tipster!
1. maherk (Posts: 786; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I love those thin bezels, and am glad they moved the speaker back to the bottom of the phone, just like in the note 3.
60. sid07desai (Posts: 245; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I hope it is an AMOLED QHD display. I love high res OLED screens.
66. Seattletech (Posts: 29; Member since: 14 May 2014)
Most flagship phone have excellent screens now but the g5's screen did make a huge leap forward from the competition. Interested to see in person the 5.2" QHD
91. james1 (Posts: 57; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
I don't know what the side metal is made out of but It looks like some kind of cheap metal. Like the same one on the note 1 that's not even metal. Samsung is loosing their magic, thinking they could sell us crap like this. They feel as if they don't have to do anything because of their dominance in the smartphone market. Apple strategy a few years back.
120. Tizen007 (Posts: 493; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
This could be the S5 Active
This one is the S5 PRIME LEAK
151. pego99 (Posts: 36; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
It's made from cheap junk metal where the iphone is made from expensive quality metal.
152. pego99 (Posts: 36; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Yea cheap aluminum where the iPhone uses platinum and titanium.
153. pego99 (Posts: 36; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
More UGLY Samsung phones that will never sell. Period.
121. akki20892 (Posts: 3255; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Nothing has changed, I guess they love ugly....
Still its same and ugly ugly ugly ugly.....
139. HansP (Posts: 20; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
IF you're so obsessed with ugly, and also apparently a WP fanboy. How about asking Microsoft to fix WP? Talk about an ugly operating system, with no real possibility for the users to even fix it themselves.
I really don't get what Microsoft are thinking with WP. They've gotten the de facto desktop OS standard today, much thanks to its customisability, and when they decide to start competing with Android, they opt for copying Apple's locked down operating system which is clearly losing out strong to Android.
Hopefully Microsoft will figure it out one day. But until then, I'm definitely keeping a distance.
142. akki20892 (Posts: 3255; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Lol dude....cool down... Chillllllll.
I know wp is not great, but fact is S5 is still ugly...
53. babyk (Posts: 221; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
something is not right about this phone..is it in a case? cuz if not it looks ugly
54. datphoneguy (Posts: 136; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
I agree - how can Samsung call this their "prime" version, yet still keep that hideous dimpled back? Yuck.
62. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
1. From the looks of it the back is removable; replace it with anything you want.
2. With a removable back comes a user replaceable battery. I don't see Samsung dumping that feature.
3. Buy a case or buy a different phone. Pretty simple.
110. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
And how does that change what sipha has said?
99. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2045; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I guess Samsung is using the word "prime" like in "prime rib":
As per Wikipedia: While historically known as a “prime rib”, the USDA does not require the cut "to be derived from USDA Prime grade beef".
The S5 Prime Rib is not cut from Prime grade cell phone material, that is for sure.
147. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
Just another galaxy that looks like a... hmm.. 2006 galaxy? Well, anyway nobody will notice you've upgraded from S4 or S5 ;) Hey guys just bought the new galaxy! you sirious? we didn't notice, you liar it's your old S5! XD
16. tech2 (Posts: 1783; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Almost didn't notice the speaker placing. Awesome work Samsung !
QHD display. Check
Aluminium chassis (plastic ain't bad either). Check
Speaker placing. Check
34. Jishnusur (Posts: 63; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
Mate How do you know its aluminum? It can be fake plastic also. Its not that I'm trolling but Note 1 has steel like plastic bezels. Hope you take this in a positive note.
46. tech2 (Posts: 1783; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
ummmm....because the article says so....
Although everything at this point in time is just speculation.
44. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"I love those thin bezels..."
If you are talking only about black edge of screen glass then yes it is thin but black edge of screen glass + metal rim around phone doesnt look like a thin bezel to me.
Sorry if someone likes this design but in my opinion it doesn't look good. :/
56. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Thin bezel ?! Are looking at the same pictures ?!
72. Seattletech (Posts: 29; Member since: 14 May 2014)
After being spoiled by g2 g3. Thin bezels have been redefined.
69. igorb81 (Posts: 29; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Guys look at those pix more carefully. They seem to be photoshopped to me. It appears that it's an S5 with some sort of bumper or case on it and the display is photoshopped to look larger. Something just does not seem right here. I am very skeptical now after I looked at the first and especially second pic. IDK.
89. camera531 (Posts: 119; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
I agree. And look at the dimples on the back. They're all over the place. They don't come down in clean lines, like they were punched by hand...
148. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
true... the original android dots don't hide under the bezel, and S5 dots of back cover are accurate at any point of view.. Big Fake here mister!
well I'll stretch my Z2 a little and post as a new Z3... check if anyone catches. Maybe a SuperAmoledoQuatroluminosBravia4 will do with just some 10,5" of 8540x5420 px, and adamantium frame.
71. mmmanuuu (Posts: 206; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
Ugly pathetic waste of metal. Just because of their dotted panty like back cover. Yuck !!!
83. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1064; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
hot damn! dats a gud lukin phone!
And so it begins.....
92. engineer-1701d (Posts: 415; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
It's not bad but the speaker is still on the back should be at bottom or front no where else mini speaker in each corner better
93. Tizen007 (Posts: 493; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
It looks okay.. I'm hoping this is fake though the whole phone looks like it is built with rubber material. I have the original GS5 and I can say that it looks 100x better than this one at the same angles. But the sales will be high due to curiosity from many customers regardless of how it looks like.
I hope the G3 destroys Z2 sales even more.
98. robcar (Posts: 69; Member since: 18 Jan 2011)
Well, i think it's remarkably better looking than ordinary S5.
124. phljcnth (Posts: 255; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This is obviously FAKE! Would anybody care to take a closer look at these images?
-The edge of the screen is distorted
-The USB 3.0 flap cover doesn't have a notch for convenient operation
-The wallpaper is altered at the upper left part. I compared it to my S5's stock wallpaper
- The 3.5mm headphone jack looks small
- The band in the first image is thicker than in the second
- The perforations are too deep and big and don't make a straight grid
129. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
To me it doesn't look photoshopped.
125. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 889; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
comparing bezel to the G3 this doesn't come close.
2. ckoch125 (Posts: 187; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Id still take lg over any Samsung. Touchwiz is such a hog and Samsung does nothing to fix it
3. maherk (Posts: 786; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Obviously you are trolling, Note 3 and the S5 never lags and I am sure you never tried either of them.
15. skatrdie0 (Posts: 34; Member since: 09 May 2014)
Lol actually I have the gs5 and it does lag from time to time and it has froze twice since I've owned it. Note 3 was a little less laggy. You must not use your phone very hard. I did use to have a g2 and it was buttery smooth for the duration of owning it. I know what I'm talking about I buy a different phone each month to test each out and I have to say while the gs5 is nice and an improvement over last Gen it's not what it should be.
18. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
The S800 is a weak Cpu to push torque Touchwiz
25. magnanimus (Posts: 219; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Dont be biased now dear sir. I have a G2 and it had some frequent hiccups (I haven't used and S5 but I'm guessing its the case) that made me question not getting a Nexus. Maybe when going to the homescreen and the apps take a split second to show up or switching between apps (which btw closes the previous app, I have 2GB for God's sake). I flashed cyanogenmod and now I'm a happy G2 user. But the stock isn't that much better than touchwiz
35. steedsofwar (Posts: 233; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
Excuse me. I used to own samsung devices until i realised they were doing nothing about lag and delay on TW. I owned the S1, the S2 and still use my note 2. After that generation, reviews still reported lag on s3 and s4. I said never again and went nexus.
I now own an LG G2. On Jellybean, it was not laggy but it wasn't as responsive as nexus. But with the KK update, man this thing is identical to my nexus.
33. maherk (Posts: 786; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
And I have a yacht and a Lamborghini parking on it.
63. Awalker (Posts: 183; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Well, I own a GS3, GS4, Nexus 5, Moto X, LG G2 and up until recently a Nexus 4. I'm also planning to get the sequel to the Moto X. It's really not that far fetched to believe someone has a GS5 and Note 3 in addition to other phones.
73. Seattletech (Posts: 29; Member since: 14 May 2014)
Which phone do you like best out of the ones you have?
82. Awalker (Posts: 183; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
In my opinion the Nexus 5 and then the Moto X. If I'm going some place where I need to take pictures I'll bring the G2 in addition to either the Nexus 5 or Moto X. The Nexus 5 takes good pictures with HDR mode on but you could miss certain things since it's not as fast as other cameras.
86. seret6 (Posts: 37; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
i hav iphone5s, nokia lumia 1520, note3, s5 and bb q10, the least laggy is q10 followed by note 3 then iphone5s
yes blackberry is the current leader in smartphone world and have the greatest variety of apps (more apps then ios, android, wp combined ) plus u can control drones and change weather of your city with it, my bb q10 also communicates with satellites (hell even hacks a few)
still making more semse than Awalker, right?
100. robcar (Posts: 69; Member since: 18 Jan 2011)
Well, my LG G2 laggs here and there....not often but it happends like all other phones. I think all this is exaggerated.
10. tech2 (Posts: 1783; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I know 3 people owning this device and none of them have complained about TouchWiz 2 of which used to have Nexus.
4. tech2 (Posts: 1783; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Anyway haters will still find a reason to complain.
31. Sauce (unregistered)
Honestly, this doesn't look good. I'd prefer the original plastic design now that they have showed us how bad their design team is.
50. tech2 (Posts: 1783; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Let's give'em a chance. Even those iPhone 6 prototypes look ugly but real thing will be a bit refined.
57. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Common mate, this thing is ugly. Honestly, you don't need to try hard to hate this thing. It's amazing how a massive corp like samsung is incapable in designing a good and atractive phone.
Oh and that aluminum ring, Gizaz looks like a donut. Looks like someone put that there just so they can say, look we have premium materials this time.
149. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
The gum-alike back comes to handy anyway. s5 lies quite comfy in hand and is not as slippery as S4 with polished plastic. But the dots dont look wery good. I'm owning the Z2 and must say it's amaizing looking every angle. the glass back isn't slippery at all, but haven't tested it with gloves yet, guess that might be an issue in winter, maybe a matte case will solve. It is fast as sony theme is really light, and it all looks and works like a stock kitkat from nexus, no lags and no overpacked sony apps that you won't use. Had the s4 last year it was so overpacked with samsung apps I didn't use at all. They look great in a catalogue, but wery annoying in every day use. The phone is for calling ant texting, the cameras and widgets should be on second place, they seem to forget it, cause calling quality gets worse every next model, can't complain on Z2 quality but it's not as good as my first android motorola which sound crisp and clear like talking to 4 eyes with another person.