LG says it too will produce a smartwatch, plus a Google Glass-type device
Korean Times, which received the information from a person close to the projects, LG is also working on a device similar to Google Glass. It is possible that either device, or both of them, will be powered by the nascent Firefox OS instead of Android. LG and Samsung, according to an executive of a Korean parts supplier, have the edge in producing a smartwatch because they can manufacturer most of the necessary parts, including the display.
The same executive said that there remains many questions about whether a smartwatch would be sold like a smartphone, and the pricing of such a device would also have to be decided upon. Another executive in the industry said that the smartwatch market must be mature and have strong demand to accept all of these competing watches, adding that not all concepts eventually reach the market.
source: KoreaTimes via AndroidAuthority
1. _Bone_ (Posts: 2150; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
If Samsung does it, LG must follow... but who's going to buy these damned things?
9. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8331; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Samsung is only doing it because Apples doing it.
16. wiiandds (Posts: 64; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
apple is only tring to take credit for the first one that people really want to by
17. donfem (Posts: 592; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Typical you. Every conversation must end with the fruit. There is a reason behind the formation of companies I guess.Business is about making money I think. Every car manufacturer is doing it according to your argument, because .......
23. ultimatebatman (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
The real Mxyz would not be a ridiculous Apple loving troll.
24. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Samsung did a phone-watch way back in 1999. Oh wait ... Sir Johnny didn't get this programmed i guess :)
26. chadrick0814 (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
I could have sworn the article said LG did it in 2009.
2. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Will these glasses also double as 3D glasses for their 3D TVs?
3. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
LG needs to stick with making TV's and appliances.
11. Aeires (unregistered)
And more N4's!
4. kellkeezy (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
I will say this, when it comes to LG making a product they generally make it affordable.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Lol. Next, BB is gonna make a BBwatch and Nokia is gonna make a Windowswatch.
8. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The N-Gage is a mobile phone and handheld gaming system, it is not a watch.
6. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 562; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
First smartwatch from phone companies was from Sony Ericsson then comes Apple and Google, then Samsung, then LG. What's next?
20. Hafiz (Posts: 78; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
NOKIA ?? Think about it..!
An unbreakable watch.
10. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
WTF all this compines doing a smartwatch i better start making my own now before someone else joins in LOL
13. TheMan (Posts: 448; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Who cares? Few want a touch screen that tiny. No wonder DickTracy is always squinting.
14. TheMan (Posts: 448; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I find it funny that PA's built-in censor doesn't allow the name d**k. (not my edit)
15. a961009 (Posts: 120; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
I'm sorry Phonearena but you are wrong. I read the article from Koreatimes(source) and THE ARITICLE SAID THAT LG DID NOT MENTIONED ABOUT THE OS. (I am Korean)
19. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
I got a chance to use lg gd 910 a couple of years ago, the screen was way too small for me to operate properly.
21. MartianMe (unregistered)
The hell with all of these smart watch talk ...my casio g shock is better them all of 'em.
22. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Hm I've gotta give it to LG, even though I don't buy too many of their products I can tell they're putting in a lot of effort to get themselves out there. If it'll work... who can say?
25. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
While others would just be announcing and feeding the press Goophone from China will launch it before all of them :D
28. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1166; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
guys get over who started it 1st smartwatch is a new trend so everyone must join in