HTC: Here's The Commercial with Robert Downey Jr.
The whole ad is basically a word play on HTC. Humungous Tinfoil Catamaran. Hipster Troll Car Wash. Hot Tea Catapault. Hold This Cat. As one of the 'executives' says early in the spot, HTC is "whatever you want it to be." Hmmm. Near the end of the commercial, someone asks what this all means. Damned if we know and we've gone back to watch the whole thing a few times.
The ad did show the HTC One here and there, but didn't exactly show why you would want to own the phone. Instead we get "Here's To Change" and "Happy Telephone Company." Sure, the brand name HTC might resonate in a few more brains after this ad runs, but so far there is no connection with an actual product. Perhaps that will come next.
Check out the entire ad by clicking on the video below.
3. alila2 (Posts: 118; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
HTC - Hear This Complain . WORK ON YOUR DAMN BEZEL.
9. omar300 (Posts: 209; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
may be this isnt entire ad and there is still more parts to come out. remember the stupid unicorn ads by samsung that made sense at the end.
12. jdoee100 (Posts: 334; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I don't like HTC, but the new commercial is funny and cool. Good job, HTC.
2. milesboy5 (Posts: 175; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
Eh, I mean if youre getting Iron Man to do your commercial why not "Go Big" to me this was just "Go Home" material..
4. 007james (Posts: 15; Member since: 03 Aug 2013)
The prevailing thought I had throughout this ad, "Why am I watching this? This doesn't make sense..." I could spend a billion better than HTC. This was terrible!
11. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 218; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Maybe for you it was. But I think they want people to know what HTC really means, so they go online and Google the companies acronym (High Tech Computer Corporation, btw). Plus it's an effective way to at least get some "water cooler" conversations started about their company as oppose to just Apple and Samsung in general.
21. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I don't know about that.. because if i'm not a techy person who knows nothing about HTC, this commercial wouldn't make any sense to me at all. I wouldn't even know its about HTC smartphones.
5. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I feel it was a stark (pun intended) change from phone manufacturers bashing other Oems. HTC has always held its own and this ad better characterizes a mixture of RDJ's persona and what HTC feels they stand for in the market.
It will def reach out to more people in the market for a cool phone.
6. Deniro (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Billion dollars it would have been cheaper to by the rights for ironman merchandise. And make an ironman HTC one phone (looking like the ironman suit)...I would definitely get that ....
7. ekarapici (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 May 2012)
HTC always the worst advertisements. Follow others, clear and simple. Don't waste billions for nothing.
8. PhoneCritic (Posts: 468; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
In my opinion ( and only my- they did not ask me to make the commercial) I would have paid a licences to Disney and Marvel entertainment group for not only Robert Downing jr. But Iron Man
Have Tony Stark say something witty when he comes out of the Armor ( let Google now be Jarvis)
" Jarvis locate new sources of aluminum for the Mark 55- "
"sir HTC all metal no plastic"
Show a halographic projection of the HTC one and have Tony Strak reach for it and manipulate it in his hand
" light weight yet solid, fit perfectly into the hand like a natural extension."
then have him show the camera aperture
" Jarvis modify utra-pixel camera to fire repulse beam"
" Sir its a camera not a offensive weapon"
Stark - "Javis its a High Termination Charge" ( get it HTC)
well it's no worse then this ad.
10. Topcat488 (Posts: 1248; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I'll give the ad (H)alf - (T)he - (C)hance of being successful.
15. ChafedBanana (Posts: 365; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
HTC - Has To Charge. Batteries in their phones always seem to be an afterthought.
16. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 650; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
For the fact that u guys are making up your own HTCs, i think thats the whole reason behind the ad. Maybe it was never ment to sell HTC One, but to create an awareness about the HTC brand. To get people talking, so next time when someone is buying a smartphone, they will consider HTC.
17. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7035; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Man this have too be the worse commercial by HTC only bad thing is first they wast too munch money on it and I don't see ROBER DOWNEY JR. even holding or using the phone.
18. toyboyz (Posts: 137; Member since: 22 Jan 2010)
I would absolutely love to go back to HTC but im a very picky person and I like an edge to edge full screen like the new LG G2. COME ON HTC!
31. WirelessCon (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 May 2010)
Maybe they'll do that with next year's new smartphone. That HTC One sure has a big bezel, ghetto bezel!
19. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Well, it wasn't as bad as the WP8 Lindsey Lohan commercial. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it was good, far from it.
22. ShenAlJoker (Posts: 113; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
Do u know RDJ is a woman?????????????
Check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*********** IRON-MAN = FE-MALE
25. Jack58221 (Posts: 143; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
just keep making excuses to hide you homosexual feelings for him...
29. WirelessCon (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 May 2010)
Don't hide it, tell the whole world!
But not in Russia... yet.
32. ShenAlJoker (Posts: 113; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
I dont feel having sex with metal. but i can see why u love IRON man soooooo much.
23. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Great way to get brand recognition. Every one loves Tony stark