Galaxy S5 vs Xperia Z2 camera samples compare the great outdoors and the murky indoors
Samsung offers something similar, with real-time HDR photography for both stills and video, plus it combines the typical Contrast autofocus with Phase Detection AF, allowing impressively fast 0.3s focusing times. The Galaxy S5 camera interface is a bit easier to use with its large, easy to press option buttons, while the one on the Xperia Z2 offers a perplexing array of modes, that are arranged in a somewhat ragtag way. Check out the comparison samples below, and tell us what you think.
Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 camera samples
1. solidsnake695 (Posts: 27; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
i think z2 did a better job but for phonearena u know what i mean
14. hung2900 (Posts: 776; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I also know what Sony fans will think about the comparison, lol/
I still remember
- 2012 phones shot-out: "where is Xperia S, it has 12 MP camera and better than GS3 and iPhone".
- 2013 early phones shot-out "where is Xperia Z, blah blah similar to above"
- Note 3 screen vs Xperia Z2: Z2 is more "vivid" and natural (so if color is vivid on a Sony's device, it would be naturally vivid, but on a Samsung's phone would be oversaturated)
29. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3055; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
That was bitter but truth indeed. Btw From my 2 day experience, i can say galaxy s5(white one) is not ugly infact it has a very solid feel in hand. Speaking of camera it has an extremely fast viewfinder, the autofocus is indeed lightning fast, it has hands down the best camera on a smartphone i've seen. The only complaint is that uglier and even more inconsistent touchwiz imo.
52. tech2 (Posts: 1865; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Dude I am confused between black and white.
Do you feel obtrusive when holding a white phone ? i.e. do the white bezels create distraction when viewing the screen ?
57. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3055; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Do as erica griffin suggested. Buy a black model, buy a white back cover. It looks great.
75. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3055; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Agreed but at the front, the white bezels look extremely cheap and generic, especially when the screen is off. Black back is hideous though with all those dots clearly visible. Personal experience.
90. RuiBacelar (Posts: 122; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
But they are extremely cheap and generic...but yes, it seems a tad better in black.
But keep in mind that the White one will look better when the chrome finish starts to peel of, I can atest that on a GS3 and GS4.
Be advised, plastic chrome peels of.
33. cheetah2k (Posts: 772; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
At least my S5 doesn't cook in my hands recording 4K video... Z2.. fail
65. knifeslicer (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
that is because S5 limits 4K recording only up to 5mins. On the other hand, Sony recommends users to use high quality SD cards to address that kind of concern when recording in 4K.:)
53. CoastCity (Posts: 79; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
Z2's camera is the worst because, as a specialist, I can judge from
photo 8 that it can't capture some objects. A duck is missing!
Shame on you Sony, you screw up big time. I'll go for ChinaCopy brand
55. shahulvm (Posts: 110; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Did you ever think that the duck would have moved away or it wouldnt have been in the scene when the shot was taken.
60. tedkord (Posts: 4470; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Did you feel the whoosh of air over your head?
76. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3055; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Rofl. That was more than hilarious dude.
106. enzotarece (Posts: 17; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
lol haha u need help u cant afford the z2 dont hate appreciate cuz a duck is missing lol stop more like a specialist in comedy
109. apple4never (Posts: 931; Member since: 08 May 2013)
lol u sure u a specialist dude, the bird either moved or the Z2 image was taken first and the S5 at which point the duck came into view
58. Onami (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Simply this test have a problem:
_ S5 use auto HDR
_ Z2 use superior auto, no HDR
Guess what happen? Nothing surprise.
78. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7674; Member since: 14 May 2012)
But I thought it was so good it could stand on it's own? All that talk for nothing. S5 > Z2
85. PunyPoop (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I'm still happy with my Z2, for me this is the greatest device :) Chopping Board > Band Aid ;)
99. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7674; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Functionality (S5) > bandwagon phone (Z2)
104. PunyPoop (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
How do you define a bandwagon? I think it suits the S5 and it suits you, when HTC One M8 are not yet released your excited to get it, when in fact, you hate HTC. Act your age Smurf..
110. refillable (Posts: 593; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
That conclusion is not worthy of saying. If you prefer S5, then just don't buy the Z2. Stop stating things which you don't like with words that are not describing the product correctly.
28. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 365; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
This comparison hasn' been conducted by PhoneArena. Check out the source below the article.
66. sar44 (Posts: 164; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Phonearena, are you paid or just haters?
Kalman gray test is not in a movie mode, and a color with a distorted benchmark, the browsers test with chrome, and now these last two pictures
73. Ashoaib (Posts: 1306; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Source of this test is Cnet.de not phonearena
94. RuiBacelar (Posts: 122; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
Humm...the 1st pic looks better on the Z2, the other outdoor pics looks better on GS5, so...overhall outdoor experience goes to Samsung Galaxy S5.
Indoor performance, well you have to be blind to deny that the Z2 has more detail and color richness, pics simply look better on Z2.
Low-light, well if your goal is to "see something" than Z2, if it's "keeping it real" then GS5. Personaly I think that in low-light it's better to see something, overexposed yes, but something, than some acurate shadows.
Both phones are impressive in camera department.
2. Bootutu (Posts: 184; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
S5 better dynamic range and natural colour, Z2 better in low light IMO!
11. Doakie (Posts: 1173; Member since: 06 May 2009)
I agree. The GS5 has better outdoor shots and the Z2 has better indoor shots. Another thing that aggravates me is that the Z2 is taking bulls**t 4:3 aspect ratio pictures. Is that how they computed the 20 Megapixel resolution? That's the same crap Samsung did with my Note 3, 13 MP? NOPE 9.6 MP in 16:9 aspect ratio. I've never taken a 13 MP picture. Thanks 4:3 jerks. What am I displaying these pictures on an iPad? Either way that's sad about the Z2, I was hoping it would take better outdoor shots. Looks like if I actually get rid of my Note 3 it'll be for a GS5. Before anyone says it, I had an M7 last year and I can't deal with 4 MP images anymore I can't put up with an M8.....
31. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3055; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
There is a 16:9 mode in 15.5 mp in xperia z2
44. vincelongman (Posts: 1024; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
At least its not like the Nexus 5, with 16:9 viewfinder and 4:3 photos
its really annoying when I want to take photos of documents
45. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2434; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
It's 4:3 so it has a wider area of the picture... If you want 16:9 go to superior auto or switch to 15 mpx in manual. Still the same quality it just cuts the extra areas from above and below... DSLR's also take in 4:3 it's the real thing...
62. Onami (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
S5 use auto-HDR, that is why S5 have better outdoor pic. Turn on HDR on Z2 and do the test again...
I think both camera is good but Z2 still better in low light condition.
67. knifeslicer (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I hope you were able to print your shots. 4:3 aspect ratio is what almost digicams use, while 3:2 for the higher end models like DLSRs, mirrorless etc. 4:3 is better than 16:9 because it is easier to print and it'll fit most photo papers. I don't see anything wrong with that. What will be the purpose of pixel-packing sensors if you wouldn't print your shots and you'll just view them on your iPad? I'm not against the trend that almost shots nowadays are just being uploaded and viewed on screen. But I think the purpose of having 4:3 aspect ratio is that, you can print your shots without cropping/hassle from your smartphones.
13. PunyPoop (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I've compared the photos of my Z2 with the photos of my Nikon D5200 and all I can say is that their color is almost the same (of course D5200 is superior). They both have natural colors.
16. hung2900 (Posts: 776; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Actually color on both phones outdoor is quite the same, but the difference mainly comes from S5 has much better dynamic range.
Indoor Z2 is superior in detail and noise, but S5 is slightly better in white balance.
18. PunyPoop (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Nope it's not the same, S5 photos are a bit processed compare to Z2's photos. If only tech sites could provide a shot of DSLR and compare it to smartphone's shots, then you'll see what I mean.
35. THE_Hulk (Posts: 55; Member since: 09 Feb 2014)
absolutely... totally agreed. many people don't understand the differences between over processed amd natural photos and which is natural indeed
37. THE_Hulk (Posts: 55; Member since: 09 Feb 2014)
absolutely... totally agreed. many people don't understand the differences between over processed and natural photos and which is natural indeed
56. hari120 (Posts: 21; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I dont know why ppl telling s5 looks natural in outdoor coz they dont even have a reference shot to compare that. Just check sky in those pics s5 pics give more saturation. Is thay natural?
59. akki20892 (Posts: 3300; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Photos are depends on where you have focus. All outdoors photos looks different, s5 have different and z2 have different. focus is really important, both phone focus was on different point.
68. knifeslicer (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Dynamic range on the s5 looks good, however, based on the person who took these shots, Z2's photos using HDR are closer to reality. He was the one who took the photos, which means he really can tell, so I guess I would believe him. On the other hand, you need to select more often the WB on the Z2 to get the very best WB and color accuracy. S5's lowlight looks good too, WB needs a little polishing perhaps. I think all these issues of both phones will be addressed soon via firmware update.
3. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
Will anyone support SONY in their half baked flagships with buggy hardware for that skyhigh prices??? Releasing halfbaked flagships every 6 months? Z2 even not yet widely available in end of 4th month - even supply shortages announced and we all know that beg of 9 month will be Z3 here? 650EUR now? in 5 months 400EUR and 650 for newer polished Z3?
No, SONY - think about it!
4. Duketytz (Posts: 384; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Firstly your amazing grammar and use of excessive question marks are traits pointing to you being a Sony hater. Which phones are not met with software flaws? Which flagship is perfect? Sony isn't the only company that has supply shortage. I don't see the point you are making except for releasing your anger at Sony
8. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
If you just understood it right...
I am not SONY hater, actually like them and and was their user. From their NEO went to XPERIA S - which had very very bad battery and crappy camera altough those marketed features like new tech battery and best camera phone never happened. Sold it for Samsung NOTE. Later i came back to XPERIA Z - same story, camera not good as advertised, battery very bad and overheating even just look at the website for 15mins. After Z went to Samsung, now S4 and almost 1 year happy man with functions - altough i would change to SONY design IF - IF they will release a device that works as good as Samsung work.
69. Apoorvtheman (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
You are right bro I also use xperia s, right after the ics update the camera became worse and after the jellybean update, my phone has become a piece of s**t the music player crashes after 15 min same goes with the browser,the battery doesn't last a day even with some occasional calls and 1 hour browsing and clash of clans, SONY = s**t. Even my father is not buying me a new phone because I spent so much money on s**t sony i am now buy only samsung. I just love my father's s4 mini would by Note 4 or s5 when it's price gets down
25. BattleBrat (Posts: 1055; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
actually, he does make a point sony has a bad habit of not releasing on all carriers an even when it does become available in the States it's months after it's initial release. How is Sony going to compete with anyone when it takes 5 months for their phones to be released in the States?and then only on one carrier. I would love to own a Sony Z 2 but by the time it arrives at T Mobile it is simply too old.
6. solidsnake695 (Posts: 27; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
Overall, the Android seems Smartphone Xperia Z2 shoot photos at full resolution with natural colors and better exposure. The colors, the camera of the Samsung Galaxy S5 is always a bit unrealistic, but can for the most part score with sharpen details. When shooting in HRD mode, this supersaturation effect is even slightly. This is what the S5 the full resolution available. When Xperia Z2 it is reduced to 8-megapixels. The HDR photos of S5 are generally a bit brighter, sharper and contain more details than that of the Xperia Z2. But the Sony Smartphone shows again in low light conditions significantly better performance than the S5
official statement of cnet who did the testing again phonearena didnt mention this proves they support samsung alot
9. VladimirSky (Posts: 3; Member since: 15 Apr 2014)
calm down dude..dont complain here... the article is about the camera not the prize :S
17. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
This is terrible. A year ago the Z was the thing now it's a laughter the phone is two generations old now.
34. refillable (Posts: 593; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Well I don't laugh at an Xperia Z, they might think that you are crazy if you do.
42. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Well, I've only seen one Z in my life, and yes I laughed when I told the owner that Z2 is already out and saw the depressed look on his face lmao.
49. Reality_Check (Posts: 260; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
The guy bought Xperia Z in 2014? That guy must be a special version of a retard :S
50. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Nope he bought it last summer in either July or August ..
70. Reality_Check (Posts: 260; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Well then, the S4 had the SD800 version released after 4-5 months of the SD600 releasing. Imagine the people those who bought the S4... LOl, atleast he's not in the same boat. And he bought the Xperia Z just before 1 month of the Z1 release? I still maintain, he must be a special kind of retard.
77. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
yeah Samsung switched to S800 but did not change the name of the device, it's still S4 and no one knows the difference, sony changed the name. Not all people roam websites to see if a company is going to release a phone 7 months after the 1st generation. and now 6 months later a z2 and in summer yow yow the glorious z3.. wow? what becomes of the z1 people bought two months ago? it's not him who's retard, it's sony, they guy got fooled and even he admits it and i guess it's the last time i see him with a sony. a 6 month next-gen cycle is terrible we all know that, we ain't paying 700$ for a phone that'll be 2 generations old in less than a year. If I'd think about something other than Samsung I may get a Nexus an iPhone or an Htc, at least they respect their costumers. hey people don't care about S800 and S810 and whatever. they want options, show offs and value.
82. refillable (Posts: 593; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
It is not that terrible. Some guy just got the S4 before I told him that the S5 was released not long ago. The lack of product knowledge affects both Biannually and annually released products. I don't see any reason either on why should we avoid a brand because they update phone so fast, when the product is competitive. What's need to be fixed is how Sony's not having it on all carriers.