Bloomberg: Galaxy S5 might be priced lower than usual, coming with sharper 5.2" display, and a larger battery
The renowned business publication also calls the S5's display "sharper," likely meaning a higher resolution will be in store, just as speculated. Given that the S4 has a 1080p screen, we'd wager to say that a Quad HD (1440x2560 pixels) display might indeed be in store for us, come Monday's Unpacked event at the MWC. If this resolution pans out, Galaxy S5 will be the first major brand-name manufacturer to announce a QHD flagship. The best part is that you'll probably be able to put your hands on its insane 560ppi pixel density as soon as next month, if Samsung release date habits are any indication.
Bloomberg goes on to say that the S5 is tipped to come with an "improved battery and camera," too, which is arguably an indirect confirmation that the phone could be equipped with a higher resolution, 16 MP camera, and a bigger battery. So far it reads like a recipe for success, but Bloomberg cites another source, this time on the carrier side, saying that "Samsung hasn’t given carriers a selling price yet amid a debate about whether the new phone should be cheaper than previous S models."
This last point certainly sounds like music to our ears, but we wouldn't put much faith into it, until an S5 flagship pops up for, say, $150 on contract. With a cheaper than usual price, Samsung will boost its diminishing Galaxy S line shipments and please analysts, while carriers and end users will get to pay less - sounds like a triple whammy, but let's not put the cart before the horse just yet. You can bet we'll be there for the official unveiling next Monday, and will cover every nook and cranny of the Galaxy S5 for your geeky pleasure.
27. -Shadow- (Posts: 64; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
If the rumors of a higher priced galaxy F line are true I can see the galaxy S line getting a little cheaper.
29. akki20892 (Posts: 3811; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
It's a Bloomberg so fake rumor. I mean price.
3. AstronautJones (Posts: 295; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Worthy succesor to replace my Note 2.
At least it sounds like it will be...
17. CMonster (Posts: 7; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
I'm considering replacing my Note 2 with this as well. If all holds true in this article, it sounds like it could be an adequate replacemnt. Although, I do wonder if there will be any mention of a "Note 4" or equivalent at the unpacking event. I haven't noticed much talk of one, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
Good luck to you! :)
62. machello (Posts: 35; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Look at the apple site. That's the right place to look.
48. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yup-per. If OIS is included, once the S5 is shipping on VZW, one will be headed my way.
4. afegit (Posts: 44; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Another winner from samsung! no other phone can compare, until the note 4 launches
45. kobainez (Posts: 408; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
We'll see what other manufactures gt in storw for us first
54. givemespecs (unregistered)
Really...how do you know this until it is launched? Even if these are the specs, what about the design or materials used?
63. machello (Posts: 35; Member since: 03 May 2013)
"Another winner from samsung!" You must be blind my friend.....
9. tedkord (Posts: 7968; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
We haven't heard that over and over again for the last couple of years. Then every quarter they sell more than double the smartphones of anyone else, and your but hurt doubles.
26. eN16HTMAR3 (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
Even if they do, they will still outsell Apples 4 incher so 2 yr ago phone.
32. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Mxy's comments are already the next Blackberry....
6. Valoni (Posts: 27; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
I can't wait for this phone whatever that will be I will buy.
7. MrKoles (Posts: 361; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Samsung will show again the phones of phones! ;)
It will be just fantastic, 2 steps ahead of any other manufacturer.
12. tedkord (Posts: 7968; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Nothing really confirmed. Do you get excited by rumors?
39. imyourpapi (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Jan 2014)
Lol tell that to everyone else that's claiming this will be their next phone. They too don't know for sure what's in store for the s5, or is it because it's samsung?
47. Taters (Posts: 5796; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Probably because Samsung has never skimped out on anything. They are the opposite of Apple and try to give you everything crammed into their flagship.
The haters will champion minimalism as superior but Samsung fans want their cake and to eat it too. Apple just uses minimalism as an excuse to give you less so they have a higher profit margin.
I do have a feeling that Samsung is going to skimp out this time though so they can recoup some of the money they have to give Apple. And they seemed to go all out with the GS4 with the broadway stuff but are reigning it in a little by going to MWC this time.
Either way, it's safe to assume Samsung won't let anyone upstage them in the specs department, except maybe for the GS5. So it's easy to see why Samsung fans know that they are buying it. We shall see February 25th.
10. sipha (Posts: 411; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Hopefully my next phone[off contract] ..But these things are always much more expensive here in Africa than Europe or USA.. You would think its the other way around, considering you know...
13. tedkord (Posts: 7968; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Gonna wait to see what the Note 4 has to offer.
33. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Yeah, my next device has to be a 6 incher....5 inch screens seem small now, to me...
61. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
5.2 inches is part of an overall package. 5.2 inch with QHD resolution, SD800 and OIS camera sensor would be a pretty attractive offering. Depending on how long it takes to get to VZW, the GS5 could be my next smartphone.
14. Qbancelli (Posts: 75; Member since: 11 Mar 2010)
I'll stay away from Samsung and Touchgizz.
19. tedkord (Posts: 7968; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yeah. You probably should. You might also want to stay away from fast cars, guns and sharp objects. Lay off the lead paint and mercury, too.
49. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3526; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Damn, Ted! You firing on all cylinders today!
55. givemespecs (unregistered)
Perhaps you should lay off the drugs pal, you know the mind bending drugs supplied to you by Samsung!
15. jellmoo (Posts: 1015; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Gotta be honest, if this is true I hope it has the side effect of bringing down the price on the Note 3. I'd still prefer that to the S5.
16. newbey123 (Posts: 519; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Yeah, sammy doesn't do it for me. Not a fan of cheap feeling phones with cartoon UI. Selling more doesn't mean your the best, Toyota outsells all other cars, they aren't better, more people just blindly buy them because everyone else does,lol, same with the Toyota S5.
22. maccess (Posts: 731; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Ouch.. poor little thing.. getting pissed off because some companies make a good product and become a hit.. take a pill and chill..
28. eN16HTMAR3 (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
So you dont like iPhone then.....with the cheap cartoony OS???. And Toyotas did outsell all other cars for the longest time because they are the best. When they moved into the US for manufacturing is when the issues started. Hope the same dosent happen to Motorola.
46. netholio (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Toyota outsells other cars, has way fewer recalls=better quality.
Samsung also offers a similar experience in the mobile world - this is reflected in sales of both "devices" that you want to compare in your post.
You are just a troll - haha
56. givemespecs (unregistered)
Really...you clearly don't live in the UK then, because we are forever seeing news stories about thousands of Toyota recalls because of various dangerous faults!
20. E.S.1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
I used Samsung for years but after my G2 there is no going back.
25. gabriel2 (Posts: 22; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
may i ask whats the differenece between the two cos lg is cheaply copying samsung
42. Topcat488 (Posts: 1314; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
The biggest different is LG doesn't update as well as Samsung.
58. givemespecs (unregistered)
Yeah I love the rear buttons on the Samsung S4, the minimal bezel, the 5.25" screen,
59. givemespecs (unregistered)
oh..and the step battery giving at least 2 days use, stretching to 3 days with low use.
36. world (Posts: 5; Member since: 18 Feb 2014)
Lol... Yh LG copies Samsung so the difference isn't much.
21. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
watch the QHD display drain the battery like it ain't even there
35. hurrycanger (Posts: 1536; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
As a Windows Phone user, I say nope. Aside from the square design, nothing resembles WP. Besides, tiles on WP usually have only 2 colors and do not show much information.
I already got regtangle and square widgets on my current Samsung phone. :D
30. CreeDiddy (Posts: 560; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
This is my guess:
Standard lineup will start at $149
Flagship lineup will start at $199
31. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Is this is all real - at 149.00 for a 2 yr contract, it is a great value
38. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Could care less which company makes a good phone - I just want a good phone, and if there is something that I do not like about it, then I want the ability to change it....
40. strikercho (banned) (Posts: 156; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Yawn. Another Chinese or whatever wanna-be iPhone. Next, please.
41. christophersalse (Posts: 99; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Like how ios 7 is a wannabe android/windows phone?
43. Topcat488 (Posts: 1314; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I buy all my phones OFF contract. Cash and go.
44. davenycept (Posts: 199; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
The best gets better..improve battery life
50. XaErO (Posts: 268; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Really can't wait to see what's there in Samsung Galaxy S5 ..
Also expecting Touchwiz to come with more handy features and most of all; it should perform faster than ever and be very responsive.
51. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
If any time to win people over it would be now. The past galaxy devices are meh at best. The S5 at least has a chance to show what samsung can actually do besides packing useless features into one ugly piece of plastic. I think they care more about this device than any of their other devices. I still think it will be a let down with that pointless QHD. I'm sick of my G2's bad build quality. I didn't buy a case right away this time and scratches everywhere, and a couple chips. I dropped it like twice from waist high, in my car down the side of the seat. Not much damage should happen there. Don't think samsung will do any better with their plastic. Unless they don't choose plastic, but lets be honest. So far all these flagships that are coming out still feel like last year to me. Nothing new really coming out. Samsung is samsung, HTC is putting two cameras on it's new device, Sony keeps it's sony look. Stop being so boring
60. givemespecs (unregistered)
Dude, you drop any phone and it will mark up. The one thing that bugs me about most of these phones is the shiny slippy backs to them. They need to be a bit more tactile to provide better grip, especially the larger screened phone which you have to shift in your hand to get to the upper parts of the screen.