Android 6.0 = Key Lime Pie?
The folks over at The Verge claim to have a reliable inside source at Google who states that Key Lime Pie will come after Jelly Bean. The Verge backs up this prediction by pointing out that this is the same person that tipped them about the Jelly Bean name last year.
Besides this tipster’s great track record, if we are to follows Google’s pattern of naming Android releases after a dessert in alphabetical order, it’s hard to think of desserts that start with K, except for maybe Kugelhopf (bonus points if you know what that is). We’re pretty sure Google is going to go with something more recognizable in America. Key Lime Pie it is.
source: The Verge
2. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
wow, i predicted this in a comment i made on febuary 27.
8. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
you are the reliable source mentioned!!!!
10. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It's also what we predicted back in September of last year, when we first heard of Jelly Bean. Followed by Lollipop, Millefeuille, Nougat, and on and on
17. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5685; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you wanna go Phone Arena? you wanna go!? >;P
15. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
I swear I was about to say that I saw you comment that
16. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5685; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
just for the record i agreed with it being Key Lime Pie there too. ;D
4. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 433; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
I hope so!!! Key Lime Pie would be epic!!!
7. e.wvu (unregistered)
It'll be a while until we get to Oreo. As the updates seem to go in order by alpahabet. So when we get to the letter "O" it'll be Android 10.0...
11. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Calling it now, Android 27.0 will be Cherry Pie :P
12. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
We already had cupcake for the C sorry
37. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I know that, that's why I said 27.0, as in its gone through the alphabet!
38. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
When they reach Z, they will start over from A.
42. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1703; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
doubt it, what about Q or even X do you have names for those? Where is your source they will start the naming convention over hmmm
13. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5685; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
will there really be such big version jumps? it seems more likely Jelly Bean will be Android 4.x and maybe Key Lime Pie will be Android 5. o:
19. oddmanout (Posts: 441; Member since: 22 May 2009)
Ha you beat me to it. I was posting this earlier then left my computer for a moment and just finished the comment. But yeah, I doubt it.
18. oddmanout (Posts: 441; Member since: 22 May 2009)
I doubt these updates are going to be this incremental. Until jelly bean comes out, I still don't see them using the Android 5.0 moniker just yet. The leap to whole numbers usually indicates a big change and seeing that ice cream sandwich is still not established in the market today, I doubt jelly bean will be too different from ICS. But don't quote me... I'm simply speculating.
23. Scott_H (Posts: 167; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
It's worth noting that we don't know that Jelly Bean will be 5.0 or that Key Lime Pie will be 6.0 - it may be that Android will be adopting a full version update every year, but as recently as Gingerbread (2.3) that wasn't true, so it's probably not a safe assumption to make right now.
25. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5685; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh oh, you definitely wanna go! you can't just go stealing the King's Comment Thunda! >;P
40. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
My bet is on The big numbers from now on, I can see a 4.x on io as an update that fixes bugs and betters performance (something easy for manufacturers to update)
ad the big numbers along with a new code name.
24. cellphonator (Posts: 298; Member since: 29 Oct 2011)
Waiting for the version that will start with A if they will choose Apple Pie, to see if there will be a lawsuit for that.
29. BomberXL (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
question is, what happens after we have surpassed Z!??!?
44. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
if the OS survives for around 20 years you mean? I build them a new alphabet
32. unnamed19 (Posts: 9; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
i dont like it..
i think it should be android "TELO KASPE".
btw "telo kaspe" is not expensive and many people like it.. :D
33. Leo_MC (Posts: 689; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Why is this a news?
ICS is on 1% of phones, jelly something is just a "far away" project (according to Google) - because the end of the year is far away - kk something is just a uninteresting story. Sure it will be done (as ll something or zz something) but that's not news, that's tabloid article...
34. frydaexiii (Posts: 1386; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Wonder what Z would be and what comes after that...Hope I live that long to see how Android grows every year
41. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
One thing android will always beat apple in is the naming of their OS versions.
43. bvalde09 (Posts: 174; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
MMMmm Im not sure why Google is thinking about future versions. I would have to agree with the jellybean but with Key Lime Pie? but they should focus instead on the Gingerbread for some devices and the ICS update for other devices. When they are at 25% then release the next OS