A7 chips for next year's Apple iPhone 6 to come from TSMC?
There has been talk for years about Apple leaving Samsung and looking for a replacement. The difference is that now the acrimony between the two is so fierce after last year's epic patent trial, that a divorce between the two seems like the only way out.
The A-series chips debuted with the A4 in the OG Apple iPad in 2010. Since then, the latest version of the Apple iPad has been powered by an enhanced version of the current Apple iPhone chip using an "X" designation, like the current A6X used for the fourth generation iPad. The Apple iPhone 5 is powered by the A6.
source: EMSOne(translated), Macotakara (translated) via AppleInsider
1. nanbanda (Posts: 17; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
so does it mean samsung gonna lose its chip business...
3. Fruitpoop (Posts: 33; Member since: 27 Dec 2012)
That means Samsung will manufacture chips for other companies that WON'T sue Samsung.
5. nanbanda (Posts: 17; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
apple is a major customer for sammy, as in previous articles sammy is in the lookout to have ties with new customers esp from china,it will take some time for sammy to recover anyhow, while for apple it will be a test as to how in terms of performance and efficiency, the new chip will fare on its hansets...
10. taikucing (Posts: 598; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Samsung makes SSD, RAM, etc for its own brand or other companies in PC business. The leaving of Apple doesn't make Samsung lose its chip business
2. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3737; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yes, the chip is important, but the DESIGN is MORE IMPORTANT!
6. ebubekir26 (Posts: 301; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
why, people care so mucht about the design these days, they exagerate :@
7. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
You can make the best designed phone in the world, if the hardware and software is bad nobody will buy it.
9. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3737; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Dude, on the iPhone side, the design is more important. Try asking your parents, your friends, or the peoples outside. They will give you the answer.
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 7787; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This will dent Sammy due to the sheer amount of iPhones they chip, but they'll soon recover. It's big business guys. Apple, and Sammy don't actually need each other however apples new partner had better be damn good, cuz Sammy sure is.
8. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Too bad apple wont use regular chips like everyone else because they know IOS would fail in benchmarks.