5.2 potential features of Android 4.2 outed, including battery improvements
We just heard about the potential existence of Android 4.2, which could accompany the new line of Nexus devices coming in the next couple months, and already there are some rumored features of the update swirling around the interwebs. Let's walk through the new features, and the likelihood that we'll see them in the next iteration of Android.
2. Non_Sequitur posted on 05 Oct 2012, 17:59 34 0
I. Can. Not. Wait.
This is going to be an amazing few months for Android.
5. james0923 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:02 0 0
It will be out in Mid Nov 2012 on the New Nexus phone by LG
46. BillyG posted on 10 Oct 2012, 16:14 1 0
it will bring nothing to samsung phones, their crappy touchwiz will 'kill' all those upgrades... take a look at ICS LG optimus G and compare it with jellybean GNote2.
11. PhoneArenaUser posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:42 4 0
I'm also waiting but what I also think is, talking about rumored free space (which is relatively poor 8GB/16GB) on LG Nexus, maybe Google want us to use their content ecosystem and limiting onboard storage is how they seem to have decided to encourage users to do that? Let's hope that it is not true, but sad. :(
20. someones4 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 19:48 11 0
That's exactly what i was thinking... 16gb and micro sd slot should be the bottom line
24. PhoneArenaUser posted on 05 Oct 2012, 20:41 8 3
Or 64GB and no Micro SD slot. :D
30. OptimusOne posted on 05 Oct 2012, 21:09 1 0
CM10 theme chooser rulz. I don't see how anyone would make it better.
I wish google would just use the CM theme chooser...
I hope they make themes in the "customization center" compatable with all resolutions because the mdpi hdpi xhdpi thing is getting on my nerves
3. devildlm1 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:00 2 0
Add screen video recording! I like the customization idea. unlimited tweaking for animations, colors, backgrounds, and fonts would be awesome! Upgrading google wallet would be nice too. They should've never let apple get the jump on that ticket and boarding thing for passbook
4. devildlm1 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:02 0 0
Oh yeah and face unlock that works in landscape mode. on my GS3, when i use the quick camera mode by holding the screen and tilting the phone into landscape, i have to turn it back to vertical to unlock the phone.
7. 14545 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:31 2 0
Not sure I like this video player idea. Other than that it sounds like a win.
8. amiaq posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:34 0 0
Bring all the betas out and half bake features, slap and alpha on them. So iOS pushed in the corner and has no freaking right to "PATENT" anything!!!
9. DaNTRoN posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:35 0 0
I just can't wait for some JB love on my T-Mobile one s. Google now is really cool
10. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 05 Oct 2012, 18:41 7 0
First we get protect butter which can turn a laggy Nexus until a speed machine that rivals even the SGS3's performance which had a much powerful processor and twice the RAM. Now we get roadrunner which will increase battery life. Google is killing it!
15. jan25 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 19:13 7 0
i am starting to think those coders at google are ETs.
25. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 05 Oct 2012, 20:42 5 0
That's what happens when a development department has a proper R&D budget. Awesomeness for all.
43. AstronautJones posted on 07 Oct 2012, 01:07 0 0
If you read the article, it clearly explains the title.
They do not need to change the title for being wrong, because it is not.
Now, when you need to explain the title in the first place...
well then, maybe it is not a good title for that reason.
13. ninjawill posted on 05 Oct 2012, 19:10 2 0
That "filter" option actually will have some great use. I imagine having a dark or black filter for giving amoled phones better battery life.
14. christianqwerty posted on 05 Oct 2012, 19:13 0 0
Lol I dont even have 4.1 and rumors of 4.2 are spreading.... I'm guesing about a 5 month wait for that 4.2 update
26. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 05 Oct 2012, 20:43 0 0
Get a unlocked Nexus device and you'll get your updates right away. Next Nexus device that comes out, I am doing just that.
19. someones4 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 19:47 0 0
when they say impossible to pirate streamed contents, does it mean that you can't add contents and media from your pc to your phone? I hope not...
This would be more like ios then..
21. d_eagle posted on 05 Oct 2012, 20:12 2 0
I think this means that you won't be able to "record" the streamed content, i.e. a streamed movie from Play Movies.
37. someones4 posted on 06 Oct 2012, 02:56 2 0
then it shouldn't be a problem if that's the case
23. parkwaydr posted on 05 Oct 2012, 20:39 1 0
All this news is getting me excited, can't wait till November.
28. cretinick posted on 05 Oct 2012, 20:58 0 0
I still do not know what will be my next smartphone (I just know it will be an Android), but I'm already tremendously excited about it! The new models that already came out this year are fantastic!
If they actually launch several Nexus this year, and the rumors of Android 4.2 are true, I will cry tears of joy... And I'll probably need to sell my body to buy a Nexus with the prices they charge here in my country... The Galaxy Nexus, NOW, costs about US$535.00 :-/
31. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 05 Oct 2012, 22:24 0 0
Gonna have to flash this onto my kindle fire as soon as its available :)
32. JunkCreek posted on 05 Oct 2012, 22:35 0 0
if it just an update like froyo 2.2 to gingerbread 2.3, it is okay. but an upgrade would just force us as consumer should buy a full spec phone just like pc so we worry not about any upgrade os even it means wipe all previous data, but we can still get latest update. but the price will not affordable as before. the upgrade was OVER USED AS SUING BECOME OVER USED NOWADAYS.
33. mas11 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 22:47 1 0
I bet 4.2 will be called, "Kandy Cane" since it will be released right before the Holidays. Another reason is that we saw a floating candy cane in the jelly bean easter egg.http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/candyc
35. MichaelHeller posted on 05 Oct 2012, 23:46 2 0
An interesting idea. Gingerbread would work for your theory of the holiday timing, but Ice Cream Sandwich doesn't really make sense. Besides, I'm not sure Google would go with an unaccepted spelling of Candy Cane just to really hit the holiday theme.
34. networkdood posted on 05 Oct 2012, 23:32 1 0
I already have great battery life now on all three of my Android JB devies:
But, anything to increase battery life is welcomed.
42. nicholassss posted on 06 Oct 2012, 23:35 0 0
What JB rom are you using on your razr, I just picked on up yesterday and i need to get it caught up with the new hotness.
38. Vangmay_j posted on 06 Oct 2012, 08:31 1 0
if this allows to revert to stock ui and to choose between company ui or any other or stock ... so this means google can send out stock updates as soon as the nexus devices get ( a week or two from announcement?) and later the companies can update the devices with their ui and even then you can choose stock .. take that apple
39. deathgod posted on 06 Oct 2012, 10:10 0 0
What I'm really waiting for is a region free play store. If I can purchase apps' then why can't I purchase magazines or videos or books? A $ is a $ no matter where in the world my phone or tablet is.
40. cGmC11 posted on 06 Oct 2012, 12:45 0 0
With this new info, not make more sense that the next LG Nexus G will have the 5" 1080p display showed early this year with mass production in the second half of this year?
41. Edmund posted on 06 Oct 2012, 22:47 0 2
lmfao.. the level of fragmentation is getting ridiculous. It's also the main reason a lot of developers won't touch android.
44. mittalmailbox posted on 07 Oct 2012, 07:41 0 0
Hey Google just takeover the updation thing from vendors to your hand. Vendors just suck at proving updates.