Will Microsoft stop licensing Windows Phone after acquiring Nokia?
1. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3534; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
At least no other companies are going to be interested in WP. I wouldn't buy a non Nokia WP device so for me WP is dead. I will go for Sony next.
24. brrunopt (Posts: 739; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Why ? the tipe of phone will most likely remain the same..
30. lyndon420 (Posts: 3358; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
They may as well stop licencing it because it is too expensive and the OEM's don't care about WP anymore.
45. WindowsiDroid (Posts: 131; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
So we are just same i'm not interested in WP anymore coz the Nokia Brand Name was not retained, And Sony will be my next phone.
47. sam.7 (Posts: 68; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
the Nokia brand name will remain for next 10years according to the deal.
50. takeja (Posts: 35; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
Exactly and more:
1) NSA back doors in all the Windows
2) blackmailing android manufacturers so Microsoft steals more money from one android phone than from poor and limited WP
2. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1025; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
Thats a good point. I hope not because Windows Phone will be as restrictive as iOS and look at where they are right now. We'll have to wait and see
17. greathero1 (Posts: 559; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
I like how your user name works with your post lol.
29. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Note 3 > Sony Z1 > LG G2 > S4 > HTC One > Note 2 > HTC mini > Droid mini > iPhone > Droid Ultra Max > LUMIA
Android is just too deep.
43. volcano (Posts: 293; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Lumia > iphone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any android phone
20. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 417; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Recent market share numbers tell an entirely different story.
35. illiad (Posts: 119; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
nope, lets correct that for you!!
Iphone > LUMIA > *any* android > galaxy ... :)
just google this,...
'bluetooth file transfer on lumia' 2000 results
Iphone? well this should help..
42. akki20892 (Posts: 3874; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
agree, people was, and is buying Nokia not WP........not let's see how WP survive.........!!!
46. WindowsiDroid (Posts: 131; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
People are buying Nokia Brand not WP8 so WP8 might become dead soon.
16. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1268; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
One way or another Nokia dead
i hope they name just "Lumia" instead of MICROSOFT LUMIA .
6. papss (unregistered)
I'm super excited by this news.. I hope they stay on this path and create more great phones... I hope m$ doesn't cave when sissy fanboys cry over the direction they move...cough Xbox one drm cough. They had a great thing going with the family share but idiots cried and now its no more special then the ps4
22. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
You're an idiot, the idea of paying $60 for a license to a game and leaving MS and the Pub with the ability to kill support when they wish leaving you with a coaster at best. Sure you can eat that crap up all you want. You're a special kind of individual aren't you? What makes consoles special is what exclusive games they put out, but who cares about that eh? MS has Halo and Forza and to a lesser extent Fable...hard to count on exclusives when you barely have any worth their salt isn't it.
MS can't create any thing worthwhile hardware wise, just looking at the size of the technologically immature Xbox One is enough to prove that fact(power brick outside the already massive chassis). I hope they got Nokia's hardware company to so they can do the constructing, if MS constructed phones they'd come with heat sinks as big as your head.
28. papss (unregistered)
Its cute that you need to insult be because your intellect doesn't reach higher than 3rd grade level. Grownups are talking kid, go get your diaper changed you are being fussy
34. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3302; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
If everyone who insulted someone else was below the third grade, there'd be like 2 people on PA who'd be above that age. Adults insult each other all the time, like talking down to someone by calling them kid. Why not just call them skippy, slick, tiger, or sport while you're at it.
This could hurt MS, there's been a lot of ill will over the xbox stuff, & now quite possibly the Nokia name getting lost if they end up calling them MS devices.
It's kinda sad, the two greatest pioneers in mobile, Moto & Nokia both bought out, and shells of the companies they were in their heydays.
36. illiad (Posts: 119; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
problem was, Nokia was killed by paranoid, stupid management - many companies are affected by this, they are too frightened to try something new, holding back any progress....
7. shy2papa (Posts: 253; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
I was gonna get the Nokia 1020 but now hell no, Nokia is dead to me.
Sony z1 it is
44. volcano (Posts: 293; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
thats selly excuse you buy Nokia lumia for the name or for hardware quality and innovation ? quality . innovation , developers, engineers . sales team. manufactures all of them going to join microsoft to me it doesn't change anything
i don't care if the name has microsoft or nokia brand all i care about is im getting nokia hardware quality and innovation on my phone from the same people.
9. Credo (Posts: 738; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I don't care about this, the only thing i care about is that Microsoft needs to hurry up EVERYTHING, they need to market device's like Samsung does, otherwise this is going to be a HUGE FAIL
21. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 417; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
When it comes to mobile MS couldn't market their way out of a paper bag.
11. DaNTRoN (Posts: 135; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
well, i have never considered a WP,so this isnt too big of a deal for me, but i probably have a 0% chance of ever seeing Nokia/Android now. Thanks MS/Elop
12. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Looks like MS will get an important answer to whether people buy Lumia phones because of WP or the Nokia name on them.
For the article, wasn't HTC already pulling out of WP? The offerings from SS haven't been all that hot either so whether MS closes it or not really isn't the question, do other OEMs see validity in competing with MS is. Google has done a great job at keeping Motorola separate, time will tell if MS can do that with WP and the Lumia line.
13. ibap (Posts: 745; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Microsoft just thinks they want to be Google.
I haven't had a WP since they abandoned all the apps up through version 6.5 - I want Watchflag back!
51. qjphone (Posts: 13; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
.so true windows mobile has gone to crap after 6.5.
14. piyath (Posts: 152; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
If WP dies without Nokia,
Nokia will die without food... Ultimately WP will survive cuz they have food!
26. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
What sense does that make? Nokia sold their smartphone business to MS and will get payments from MS for use of their patents. Nokia just got a bloody cash infusing of a $4Billion +. Nokia still owns their name and their bread and butter R&D department so they can license things out to smartphone OEM I believe.
19. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
RIP Nokia. U will be missed.
27. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 217; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Most people bought Windows phones because they were Nokia phones. I dont think anyone would care to buy 'Microsoft' phones. I for one will totally switch to Android phones. Maybe try a Sony or HTC.
31. papss (unregistered)
True, why would any smart person by a phone based off its capabilities.. I feel as long as they allow them to produce as they have then I personally don't care. I do love nokia but only because their phones.
32. gazmatic (Posts: 790; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
suddenly a lot of people who never bought wp are deciding that they will never buy wp
i dont even know what to say
33. ady_lad (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
By the way ex-Nokia Engineers preparing to launch a phone based on Meego, it's called Jolla, Google it.
38. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1446; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Microsoft Windows smart phone OEM's always had more Andriod models on the market than
Windows smart phones and made them better than the Windows smart phones they put on the market place. i bet Samsung and HTC will make just one Windows smart phone Model and it wont be as good as their top of the Line android smart phones. The 7th spaceman has spoken"
40. Whateverman (Posts: 3248; Member since: 17 May 2009)
But they've never had a reason to invest in WP. When M$ decided to pay Nokia a billion dollars a year to use WP, while suing all the Android OEMs, that was a slap in the face. Sure, they gave them a little bit of a discount if those OEMs were to make a WP device, but com'on M$! You really think Samsung, HTC and others are going to put their bst efforts into a platform that people weren't buying? Not saying its bad, it just ain't attracting the customers like Android and iOS.
41. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
M$ will write off 7 billion five years later .. didn't they do with aQuantive?
48. sam.7 (Posts: 68; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
the Nokia brand name will remain for next 10years according to the deal.