x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • U.S. Android users rely on carrier's 3G network to view 72% of their mobile video

U.S. Android users rely on carrier's 3G network to view 72% of their mobile video

Posted: , by Alan F.

Tags:

U.S. Android users rely on carrier's 3G network to view 72% of their mobile video
More so than users of other platforms, those in the U.S. with phones running on Android put a great deal of reliance on their 3G carrier when viewing video. This shows up in some statistics released by video ad network Rhythm NewMedia. The numbers show that 72% of video watched on an Android handset is transmitted over a 3G network while the remaining 28% is sent to the viewer over Wi-Fi. As a comparison, 56% of video viewed on an iPhone comes over 3G with Wi-Fi transmission accounting for the remaining 44% Part of the reason for the difference between the two could be due to the ability of Android users to watch HD quality YouTube videos over 3G. iPhone users must be using Wi-Fi to view a crystal clear picture from the video site. In the States as a whole, 53% of videos are viewed over 3G while 47% travel over Wi-Fi.

Some other interesting statistics gleaned from Rhythm NewMedia's Q2 report include the fact that because smartphones are carried throughout the day, there is no evening "Prime Time" like there is when television viewers  flock to their sets after dinner.The ad network says that the number of people in the U.S. viewing mobile video content will grow 30% in 2010 as more and more Americans become smartphone owners with the capability of viewing many different applications with video content.

source: RhythmNewMedia

18 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:48

1. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


not to start a flame war, but looks like another compelling win for android over iphone. :) we can actually use that data service we pay for!! :)

posted on 18 Aug 2010, 15:38

2. cc16177 (Posts: 312; Member since: 09 May 2010)


It's not even about Android vs iPhone at this point it's about AT&T vs Verizon...

posted on 18 Aug 2010, 18:37

3. Fanboykiller (unregistered)


Even though you rely more on your slow and obsolete network I get more done with faster conection plus I do voice and data and the same time, and don't bother to answer me back with the same old bullshit that fanboys like you always say " nobody need talk and data at the same time " blahblahblah you simple CAN'T DO THAT period, when slow-rizon turn LTE you will have a taste what we've done for years....!!!!

posted on 18 Aug 2010, 19:02

4. IndoSlim (Posts: 7; Member since: 12 Nov 2009)


I have a Hero on Sprint, and my wife just got the iPhone 4 on AT&T. I will say that it's cool that she can talk on the phone and use data at the same time, but that's not what this article is about. This is about video. And while my wife enjoys the ability to watch of high quality videos on her phone (youtube only!), while we are out and about, she's jealous that I can watch videos (a lot more videos than her because of FLASH!!!) whenever and wherever I want. She's limited to wi-fi because she doesn't want to go over her 200MB limit!

posted on 18 Aug 2010, 19:37

5. Phonatic (Posts: 27; Member since: 16 Jul 2010)


Actually if you are surfing over WiFi, you can talk and use the internet at the same time, so perhaps a little research on your end is needed. And more to the point, the article demonstrates why WiFi is an absolute necessity for ATT customers and why its not for Verizon customers. So rather than be obnoxious, try making a valid point.

posted on 18 Aug 2010, 20:05

6. Fanboykiller (unregistered)


You have a point fanboy slow-rizon customers are not used to surf and talk at the same time cuz they are so obsolete like their network, you guys one day realize that there's a whole different world outside of bubba trailer park...and i don't rely on wifi when am on the road cuz not every place has an open wifi so I use AT&T faster conection simple...!!!!

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 07:23

11. Mightymack (Posts: 73; Member since: 16 Jul 2010)


someone is CLEARLY jealous!

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 09:42

12. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


its about ATT vs every other carrier. and BTW to fanboykiller.. i can surf and talk on the phone whenever i want. ATT isnt the only company that can do that, ya know. OI. I still NEVER use that feature because its nothing more than a sad fanboy bulletpoint. Oh yea, and Tmobile is 3x faster than ATTs fastest speed, its way cheaper, and i very rarely connect to wifi for anything. LOL

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 11:32

15. Dood (Posts: 269; Member since: 23 Mar 2009)


Honestly, how often do you use this feature of GSM? Are your friends THAT boring that you can't stand paying attention to them?

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 15:43

18. KingMe (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Aug 2010)


Verizon Fanboy

posted on 18 Aug 2010, 23:48

7. Phonatic (Posts: 27; Member since: 16 Jul 2010)


It's a matter of choice. I'd rather be 5 seconds slower on Verizon and be covered everywhere than be 5 seconds faster and have to be up a tree with my foot at an angle to get reception. Nothing is more annoying than calls being dropped all the time. My friend has ATT and we haven't had a conversation that wasn't dropped, and it was not on my end. Still awaiting a useful contribution. Unless you just like insulting networks that are better than the one you've got. I had ATT...that's why I'm with Verizon now. Like trying to make a call with a brick.

posted on 18 Aug 2010, 23:57

8. Fanboykiller (unregistered)


That's the argument from every single fanboy making sound any other network like unable to make calls, is so dumb and retarded, seriously slow-rizon got what it deserves in all of you......that's why Europeans and Japanese laugh so hard to Americans when it comes to cell tech.......!!!!

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 06:35

9. rjt185 (Posts: 257; Member since: 11 Jun 2009)


If you are a so called fanboy killer, find the nearest bus and jump in front of it. Your rhetoric is not only assinine but heavily biased.

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 10:10

13. Fanboykiller (unregistered)


Why because I always tell ya the truth and what you don't wanna read, you all like the GOP and Sarah Palin dumb as hell.....!! M

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 10:37

14. iHateCrapple (Posts: 734; Member since: 12 Feb 2010)


Shoo troll!

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 12:06

16. noone (unregistered)


Hmmmm Japan uses cdma......

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 14:09

17. Fanboykiller (unregistered)


You're so wrong, only one network use CDMA, the others uses W-CDMA wich is GSM based and totally different unlike many other moron fanboys who claim it is the same core...!!!!

posted on 19 Aug 2010, 07:21

10. Mightymack (Posts: 73; Member since: 16 Jul 2010)


Wen i used wifi on my DROID X, it is way faster than the 3G network. Im not sure if this matters but when i did my own speed test (wifi on DROID X and IPod) my DROID X killed the ipod so many times!

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories