Sony Xperia S is now official, flaunts a 4.3-inch HD display
1. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 636; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Welcome back Sony, it's time you rock the world like you used to have!
2. Rotate (Posts: 26; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
with a Gingerbread handset in 2012... fail...
6. jellytime (Posts: 135; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I dont think it will be running Gingerbread when it's released.
20. nando2do (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
yeah it will, sony just update their xperia x10 to gingerbread and it was a total disaster// for some reasons sony always has been having problems with updates, i think they will offer update to 4.0 until 3rd quarter of the year.
24. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 807; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I doubt your Q3 estimate, wanna bet on that?, They've updated their early 2011 Xperia line about 4 times already since release. My Arc was already updated 4 times since purchase and their updates all ran well. I see no complaints on my part.
3. rjbp64 (Posts: 28; Member since: 15 Dec 2011)
Does anyone know if this would come to the US and to what carrier? hopefully Verizon.
21. Birds (Posts: 1085; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I think the Ion is AT&T's variant but IDK. Hopefully Verizon will get it and ADVERTISE THIS PHONE REALLY WELL!!!!! lol
27. rjbp64 (Posts: 28; Member since: 15 Dec 2011)
This phone is defenitely better than the Ion and it needs to come to Verizon!! It has the best look out of any phone ive ever seen. Seriously!
5. buggerrer (Posts: 293; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
seriously Sony .. is this your flagship? MSM8620? LCD ?
18. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Sony is the company that manufacturs S-LCD panels, you were expecting IPS or AMOLED + or something?
22. Birds (Posts: 1085; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Some of you people are so misinformed about LCDS that it makes me ill. IPS-LCD (LG or Toshiba product) are as good as Sony's S-LCDs. Both are types of TFT displays but use a different type of refresh rate henceforth, IPS screens tend to look more high contrast-ish and stuff...... S-LCD's are great, just gibe credit, where credit is due. The technology is amazing still. I mean AMOLED screens are to over-saturated and inaccurate. I don't see what all the hype is about the screen. S-LCDs are my prefered options.
7. tsets (Posts: 11; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
ok so cameraphones everywhere.......Nokia WTF are you? Still w8ting for the n8's succesor
8. jdktchkov (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 Nov 2011)
Sadly it will glide by tmobile and but stuck on at&t
9. Gangzz (Posts: 5; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
SONY phone with a "Sony Ericsson" logo at the back panel?? If I buy one, I will peel that off.
12. christianqwerty (Posts: 463; Member since: 05 May 2011)
Not being released with the latest version of the os....?
13. Jyakotu (Posts: 824; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Looks great.! And to those talking about Android phones not coming preinstalled with ICS, be patient. It'll be awhile until newer phones come out with the latest OS, especially since OEMs still want to put their UIs over it. I'm glad the phone just has the Sony branding on it now instead of Sony Ericsson. AT&T stole the show today.
14. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
now that's better than that utterly generic looking ion..better, but not great.
For that, Sony needs a 4.5inch of screen imo, and a quad core, or the next gen dual core.
as for the LCD, I see no problem with it, arc already has an amazing screen, save for the viewing angles, and it's BRAVIA engine really makes a difference.
now with a hd resolution and resolved viewing angles(just look the video of ion) issue, this screen will be a killer.
15. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Love this phone. If it came to VZW I would be tempted
25. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 807; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
That would be a big "IF" though. . .
16. smartx84 (Posts: 12; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
you can always count on sony (ericsson) and nokia to come out with great designs....
17. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6946; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Decisions decisions. Too many good ass phones our their too choose from.
19. droiddomination (Posts: 203; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
y did att get the s**tty sony phone instead of this sexxy thing? hmmm.
23. toystore (Posts: 16; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
most beautiful Andorid Phone with good specs..
26. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 459; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Xperia S and ion will have GB in the demo models. Available in Q1 & Q2 and is upgradable to ICS maybe on its final model. To ICS fans, dont be disappointed because of its GB OS. It is still a demo model. IT WILL BE UPGRADED
Video in the link includes new SONY products.