Samsung UK allegedly leaks the Galaxy S6 retail price, and it isn't pretty
1. Tritinum (Posts: 471; Member since: 06 May 2014)
Storage is unclear, could be a 128gb or even higher considering sammy is making their own storage now. Price would be justified if its 128gb.
11. namesib (Posts: 97; Member since: 08 Feb 2015)
The SanDisk 128GB microSD card is going for £55 right now. Even if internal storage is faster, this price is ridiculous. This is why I won't be buying any phone with microSD support.
22. PiteCZek (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Feb 2015)
Much faster, much more reliable - and if it is the new memory Samsung is making, it would be lightning fast....that price could be justifiable if you prefer quality :)
26. spin9 (Posts: 291; Member since: 31 May 2014)
There's a revolutionary solution for all these: buy something else
23. Gfkyo (Posts: 13; Member since: 19 Feb 2015)
Disappointed fan here. No microSD support means no buy for me too. It looks to me Samsung just ditched their fans. Will wait for S7 and see if they include this feature otherwise going to buy Note 4.
44. j2001m (Posts: 2943; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Samsung is 2.7 faster then htc m9, so it's going to lag out big time with your sd card over the s6
31. MrHate (Posts: 226; Member since: 09 Feb 2015)
Wait where are the people who called the iPhone expensive? Where are they? All of you turned to " $1080 ?? That isn't expensive at all dudes. Look they have this super duper new storage from Samsung which is faster than light. With that our TouchWitz won't lag that much anymore."
And people like you call iPhone users brainwashed because they pay a good amount of money for their phone.....
46. j2001m (Posts: 2943; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
The iPhone got no good hardware in it as is outdated by the years, this as the fastest tech going and best screen, good try
58. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Because the iPhone has no new features. 1080p is old and came out in 2011 on phones. The iPhone 6 and 6+ have identical hardware to the 5S.They simply bumped up the clock speed.
The S6 has a 5 and 20MP camera, 1440P display and more. I'd gladly pay $1000 because eit ha sall new hardware vs Apple charge $1000 for 3 year old hardware.
See how stupid you are an sound? You think$1000 is too much for brand new 2015 hardware vs Apple cost on old hardware isn't?
57. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Samsung has always made their own storage....geez!
2. TimCook (banned) (Posts: 450; Member since: 23 Oct 2014)
More premium material = higher price..
The gs6 costs more money to produce than the gs5.
samsung has to make a profit so higher price is very normal..
8. bur60 (Posts: 848; Member since: 07 Jul 2014)
BUULLLLLLLLLLL-, It's still not justified.
They just took the Apple way. Overpriced products show more wealth that's why they peaked the price even higher. Phones are already overpriced.
10. boosook (Posts: 1437; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Neither is the iphone, but somehow when we're talking about the iphone nobody complains about the price... if Apple can price the iphone like that, why can't samsung do the same with a phone that will have the same quality and the same or better hardware specifications? (please note that I'm not a Samsung fanboy)
18. irbaaz (Posts: 163; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
Because samsung don't have audience like iPhone.
60. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Really? Samsung sold over 80M phone per quarter for 2 years in a row. Apple has done it how many times? ONCE!!!!! So the math fool. One goes into 8 how many times?
24. vandits (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Consider this... When you buy an iPhone, you pay for hardware (material, design) and software (r&d, design, in-house by Apple). They also make a huge profit. When you buy an Android flagship, you pay for hardware. That's it. Why? Software is by Google, FREE. So think again, who is really milking money out of the customer?
37. elitewolverine (Posts: 5184; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
AOSP is free, the google version they use they have to license making it not free.
41. tedkord (Posts: 11718; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
There is still R&D into the software with Android. TouchWIZ is different from stock Android right down to the framework.
63. vandits (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 May 2014)
They still didn't have to build an operating system from scratch. It was already built. No one can deny that. They just modified it and added stuff on top.
40. CreeDiddy (Posts: 749; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
One reason is that Samsung is not established as a high end brand. They have budget phones and now phones with a premium look and feel. Now just because their phones established similar characteristics to the iPhone they are far from displaying that all their products contain high premium materials. Samsung is so confused what company they are. You can't sell a $700-$1000 phone but have a brand new stripped down S6 and sell it for $300-$400 in low end markets. It's doesn't work that way.
59. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
because Samsung fans aren't hypocrites. They also don't know hardware. They think upping the cost $100 and getting nothing new is ok. Get brand new 2015 hardware and all of a sudden the cost is too much.
They are stupid. They will forever be sheep and like all most animals, are stupid by default.
34. BobbyBuster (banned) (Posts: 854; Member since: 13 Jan 2015)
The price is justified in every way.
Ya know, Sammy has to pay all the keyboard warriors around the world for their hard efforts.
And in case they get caught, Sammy has to pay heavy fines like it happened in Taiwan.
48. j2001m (Posts: 2943; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Sorry but it as all the best tech, the cheap parts being used I. Your htc m9 does not cover the cost charged
29. Af1rPA (Posts: 690; Member since: 12 Jun 2014)
The high price is used for Samsungs advertising.
3. fanboylemonkiller (Posts: 16; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Well you have to take into account that this is in the UK. I mean here in Sweden the release price of the Galaxy s5 was about 650-700 euros. The Gs6 will cost about the same as the Gs5 on release or just slightly higher. The real question is how much will the Gs6 edge be? My guess is 800 euros.
12. maherk (Posts: 3803; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
You should've by now be familiar with PA's dirty antics. They always do this with every other phone that isn't Apple branded.
We all know that EVERYTHING in Europe is more expensive.
If it's true that the S6 will cost £699, then it will be priced the same as the S5 in other markets.
30. MrHate (Posts: 226; Member since: 09 Feb 2015)
Dude that's not true. Yesterday I found something that was more expensive in the US than here in Europe. I was so damn shocked to see something like that. I thought I was dreaming or something.
33. maherk (Posts: 3803; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Bumping into something that is cheaper in Europe was a shock for you, so your comment did indeed prove my point.
39. Astoni (Posts: 649; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Sweden (i'm also swedish) went from 5,2k (2010) - 6,3k (2012-2013) in a new released flagship smartphone and last year in the end of the year, phones like Note 4 and Iphone 6 had a hefty 7200kr.. it will probably raise to 8k for a reakin 32 gb model.. its OVERPRICED...
4. sonisoe (Posts: 411; Member since: 06 May 2009)
no phone should be worth more than $650... its not like you can do your full work on it like on a laptop...
16. ankiipankii (Posts: 81; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
i have heard about goophone what is nophone now>?
6. gaara6775 (Posts: 738; Member since: 20 May 2014)
This will be Lil helpful for HTC as they're pricing m9 for $650 (as per leaks)
7. namesib (Posts: 97; Member since: 08 Feb 2015)
This is why I want microSD support; I don't want to pay through the nose for additional storage (even if it is faster). This price is ridiculous for any capacity.
13. boosook (Posts: 1437; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Love your ZX Spectrum avatar! ;)
Yes, prices are going up. Just when we thought that Apple was going in the mid range, they raised the price instead. And Samsung is doing the same.
They understood that the market
43. kane74 (Posts: 44; Member since: 24 Jan 2014)
I was actually just about to replace it for an Ericsson T-28 avatar!! :P
14. araxala (Posts: 12; Member since: 18 Jan 2015)
Just to make a point, samsung UK store tends to charge a premium of anything between £50-100 on simply free phones over CarphoneWarehouse so realistically I see the cost of the s6 at £599 and the edge at £699/749
20. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
50. UglyFrank (Posts: 1657; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
They usually start around £550 here so this must be for a higher storage capacity
52. izim1 (Posts: 609; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
As always. I have been visiting this site for a while and don't understand why it's so hard for the writers to understand that Euro prices have a VAT included that the US does not have.
62. Chunkyspudface (Posts: 65; Member since: 31 May 2013)
Damn... completely forgot. Still cheaper in the US, just less so.
17. brrunopt (Posts: 742; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Sometimes i feel like PA writers are so dumb... Don't convert £ to $ , its never the case. UK prices are with 20% VAT
19. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
What if price translates as 699£ = 699$ = 699€? This has happened way too much times before.
27. hound.master (Posts: 1044; Member since: 27 Feb 2015)
So we are about to see an iPhone like galaxy s!?
Is it really worth it there are better android phones.
28. bello (Posts: 27; Member since: 01 Mar 2015)
Why people don't complain about iphone's high price
55. zeus4gta (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Mar 2015)
Isheep will fall for anything ( apple has been passing off less than great tec for years now and it still amazes me how they are doing so well on the brand name alone as the product is sh#?!!! compared to sammys stuff
32. Loubielou (Posts: 508; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Samsung will end up like one of the Famous Groups in the U.k,be in a STATUS QUO and finish feeling like one of there Best Songs,DOWN DOWN DEEPER AND DOWN,are Samsung trying to make the Sales of the Galaxy S5 get better,Why?do Samsung think they are on Par with Apple is just Amazing,Samsung Sales will Struggle by over pricing there new phones
36. Revotron (Posts: 9; Member since: 22 Jan 2015)
Samsung and its blunders. Someone has to wake Sammy up. What the hell is going on with Samsung? No microSD no water/dust resistance + overpricing. Surely we will find Sammy in some history books very soon.
49. j2001m (Posts: 2943; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
That because you getting 2.7 times faster mem in your phone, water/res makes the phone to big and it's not over priced if it over the best tech
45. Fire5 (Posts: 298; Member since: 13 Feb 2015)
If all you wanted not much. It was high quality material and now Sammy takes our micro SD, water resistance and replaceable battery. Sammy wants ?? delicate smartphone hate the idea of being neglected now that it has water resistance.
47. Moose (Posts: 248; Member since: 05 Jan 2015)
No doubt high end features are bound to be expensive. Good thing that a vast array of choices is available to Android users, unlike Apple. I, for one, would never pay more than $700 max for a smartphone. I love LG G3 pricing from 2014 - $599 Canadian dollars, unbeatable value. When I come to buy my next phone I will be looking in the $500 to $700 range, nothing more expensive will be considered regardless of the features. I buy my phones unlocked so I can use a tablet data plan with it, I don't make enough calls to need a phone contract.
51. izim1 (Posts: 609; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I saw another article that did the price conversion by just changing currency signs and I assumed phonearena writers had finally figured out after so many years that the US doesn't have the VAT that's included in Euro prices. Apparently not.
53. meanestgenius (Posts: 11781; Member since: 28 May 2014)
How about we all just wait until the phone is OFFICIALLY announced, pricing and all?