Qualcomm overhauls its mobile processor lineup with the Snapdragon 200, 400, 600, & 800
1. SmartPhoneStream (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
This sounds promising, I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the Tegra 4 and the new exynos processors
13. MeoCao (unregistered)
S4 is widely successful so why drop the brand? I'm sure many people will be confused by Qualcomm new branding.
And I'm disappointed that nothing was revealed about new chips features, lots of music and little information.
This is pale in comparison to nVidia spectacular show yesterday.
I think nVidia will beat Qualcomm this year.
28. deuel18 (Posts: 41; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
whats the different between the cores used in Tegra4 and the new Qualcomm?..are they the same A15?
35. mittalmailbox (Posts: 49; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
No Qualcomm Krait(old krait and new krait 300/400) are custom made ARM Architecture. A15 is different.
2. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
But you can overclock the Exynos A15 upto 2.8 comparing it to 2.3. The 800 is a A15 Cortex
19. mittalmailbox (Posts: 49; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
800 is not A15. It is upgraded Krait ( Krait 400)
29. deuel18 (Posts: 41; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
so Krait 400 then can exceeds Exynos?.well i thought Exynos 4 or 5 has the same quad core A15 and so is the nVidia too right?
36. mittalmailbox (Posts: 49; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Krait has not been released so it is hard to tell.but here is estimation.
Krait 400 is said to be 70% faster than S4 pro. S4 pro had 3.3DMIPS/MHz so krait 400 will have 5.6 DMIPS/MHz.
Exynos 5250 which had 4.6 DMIPS/MHz. Samsung is moving from 32nm to 28nm. So it may increase to 5 DMIPS/MHz at max.
Maximum clock rate of krait 400 will be 2.3GHz while of Exynos will be 2.0GHz. So considering this Krait 400 will be faster than Exynos 5 series(approx 20%) .
4. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
As Axl Rose once said:
"Where do we go?
Where do we go now?
Where do we go?"
8. Captain_Doug (Posts: 934; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Wow wow wow wow where do we go now....
6. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
OK then....I seriously can't wait till the benchmarks come out...tegra 4 vs snapdragon 800. Its gonna be the equivalent of the Superbowl for me..... loll
20. mittalmailbox (Posts: 49; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Tegra 4 is ready for OEM's but Qualcomm new series will out only in H2 this year.
7. JGuinan007 (Posts: 657; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Snapdragon 800 sounds great so far wonder what phone it will turn up in Q3
10. yowanvista (Posts: 340; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
These are actually two SoCs, the Snapdragon 600 & 800 will use the Krait 300 & 400. The Snapdragon 800 uses four Krait 400 cores.
11. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5685; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
wow, well okay then. Crapdragons these are not. i will look forward to seeing how this compares to the T4 and the E5Q. o:
15. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
haha you were saying king?
16. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5685; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's funny, Qualcomm definitely rose to battle my claims against them today. myyy baaad Qualcomm! xD
17. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
hahaha this is going to be a VERY interesting/exciting year bro thats all i gotta say
30. deuel18 (Posts: 41; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
i know..everyones using quadcore now a days..perhaps the bigger ones
22. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4184; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
75% increase in CPU performance and double the graphics power of the S4 Pro quad means the 800 should compare VERY nicely to the Exynos 5450 and T4.
Let's just hope Qualcomm's claims are right, and 2013 will be a very good year for consumers, more specifically, mobile gamers.
Still waiting on that Exynos 5450, though... Maybe Samsung will get taken off its throne?
12. thunderising (Posts: 232; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
80% faster than Krait? The 800 series is much faster than a Cortex A15 guys
14. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
wowza! i'm still on OMAP4 over here! with a little less than a year left on my contract(which actually doesn't matter because I'm not buying subzidized phones anymore) and two whole generations of chips have passed. I bet by the time I decide what phone to get a 3rd will be around the corner if not already out.
18. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Dude, i'm still in S1 here.. at least OMAP4 is dual core.. i'm still stuck in single core S1.. :(
But the S4 is coming today!
21. mittalmailbox (Posts: 49; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Qualcomm rocks, but any info about Qualcomm 200 and 400?
23. jibraihimi (Posts: 714; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
So 600 and 800 is A15 processors like Nvidia tegra 4, or are they Still A9 processors like Previous Kraits......????
25. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
neither. Qualcomm does not use ARM designs directly like Samsung and Nvidia. They use them for compatibility reference but the design is Q's. It's a double edged sword that until recently was hurting them in the long game.
32. deuel18 (Posts: 41; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
what do u mean?..so the way they make their cores actually ruins their profits
24. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
let them miniaturize an atom plant and put it into a phone
26. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
OK, so the 600 is not the S4pro.. its the S4pro's replacement? got it. These new chips better have some CPU mhz scaling built in.
33. nard0207 (Posts: 18; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
2.3 GHz?! My laptop is powered by a Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz.
34. Captain_Doug (Posts: 934; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Better than mine. I have a 1.89Ghz dual core Pentium T2390.... with no GPU.