Nokia Lumia 1520 tops our blind camera comparison while Nexus 5 ends up last; HTC One (M8) finishes sixth
We were expecting for HTC's new flagship, the HTC One (M8), to be rank higher than it did, yet it ended up in the lower middle of the chart. With 10.71% of all votes, the new HTC One is sixth among the bunch. Still, it was more liked than its predecessor, the 2013 HTC One Model, which got only 7.69%. Trailing last is the Google Nexus 5 with a modest score of just 4.86%. Thanks to all who participated in our blind camera comparison!
- Which phone's photos do you like the most?
398 votes (398 votes) Nokia Lumia 1520 (Phone 1)
310 votes (310 votes) LG G2 (Phone 7)
287 votes (287 votes) Sony Xperia Z1S (Phone 3)
274 votes (274 votes) Samsung Galaxy S4 (Phone 9)
259 votes (259 votes) Apple iPhone 5s (Phone 4)
238 votes (238 votes) HTC One (M8) (Phone 5)
179 votes (179 votes) Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Phone 6)
171 votes (171 votes) HTC One (2013) (Phone 2)
108 votes (108 votes) Google Nexus 5 (Phone 8)
99. steedsofwar (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
WOW! I'm very impressed to see my G2 in second place! I even blindly voted for Phone7. I felt phone7 was the best but never knew it was my G2. I was split between 7 and 9 and i was sure it were either the Lumnia or the Z1.
Ironically, I did feel that phone1 performed the worst especially in the first clip. So i'm even more surprised it came first.
20. Alex123 (Posts: 227; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Are Skype, Whatsapp, Viber and many more called "Apps"?
26. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 85; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
Few basic apps, which work better on ios and Android....
38. HASHTAG (Posts: 179; Member since: 31 Jan 2014)
Nexus4lifes.... Your post just says that you've never used a WP.
64. Pokeem (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
G2 has the best camera for an android phone. by far the best night shots.
look at all this new phones. non of them can compare to the 6 month old G2. not in the camera, not in battery and defently not at screen vs general size (has the body of an S4 and a bigger screen then the S5)..
just buy it. it will cost you way less then all the others phones and preforme the same..
81. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
I don't know if you've noticed but most of phones here are older than G2
97. bigdawg23 (Posts: 388; Member since: 25 May 2011)
I will disagree with Hashtag and agree with Nexus4lifes. I have a 1020 and as a business travel WP is kind of a waste, I fly Delta and WP app is pretty much useless(no boarding pass or skymiles information). There is no Hilton Honors app. As for games no Candy Crush. A battery that has to be refreshed and can't be displayed in the status bar. Meanwhile my Note 3 and iPhone 5 does, glad I had connections and got the Lumia for free. It's great camera and good signal but WP8 has some way to go.
46. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 207; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Someone is mad their phone got placed last
30. pwnarena (Posts: 958; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
did you have the chance to catch that lesson in english about hyperbole?
67. hurrycanger (Posts: 1233; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Oh yeah... Viber...
That app on WP8 doesn't even notify you when you get a call or message.
74. muhsen (Posts: 265; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
It does notify u like on android actually... I have a 920 and i am using it regularly.i have a galaxy note 10.1 so I know how viber is on android
52. akki20892 (Posts: 3617; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Go Nokia......I'm waiting for 930 2nd April or 19th April.
63. DerryAhmad (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Proud owner of Lumia 1520 and S4.
The 1520 has been tested by many blogs (including DpReview) and resulted in very good results. DpReview's 1520 score was only beaten by 1020.
This blind camera test only strengthen that.
Guess I'll skip the S5 to replace my S4 since the S4 still can holds its own againts newer flagships.
Can't wait for 930!
70. sip1995 (Posts: 923; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Correction...there are 350,000+ if you're talking about apps.
54. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Was this gonna be a surprise? I woulda been shocked it a Nokia device didnt win.
But yea...if you want a great camera phone....go Nokia...if you want apps....go elsewhere...
89. CyberAngel (Posts: 47; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Darn! My S4 Active holds water, but can't hold over million apps!
Do I need them? Absolutely!
Do I have a time to use more than about twelve in one day?
Yes...if I don't sleep too much...
Hmmm...which to use this night...let's see if I have...
Off-line maps like HERE Maps? Nope!
Refocus? No! Nokia Camera? No! eBay? Yes!
I'll go and buy something from the eBay...
55. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
proudly saying yes. and how is this related to the camera comparison?
butthurt much, so that's your excuse?
The community has spoken
102. SIGPRO (Posts: 497; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Oh please stop the Bullsh!T about lack of apps!
You live in the past! And this about cameras, probaly you own the google nexus 5 whahahah
36. utg001 (Posts: 31; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
what surprised me most is M8 beating the Note 3
40. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Right! They should have posted pictures taken by a DSLR as reference.
47. romeo1 (Posts: 273; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Thats what i was thinking 2 because now everybody just looks at what they like (colors)
78. drazwy (Posts: 140; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
Can't say I'm surprised. As an owner of a Note 3, I've been talking about how bad the camera is on it and how difficult it is to get a good shot out of it for a while now. After no one agreeing with me, it's nice to see it proved out through a blind test.
103. utg001 (Posts: 31; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Well, thanks for the heads up. I was probably going to get Note 3 for multitasking rather than a WP of which I am fond of. Hardly any device gives you everything.
3. Jason2k13 (Posts: 657; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
and the galaxy S4, one of the oldest phones there is still doing well. I might skip the S5 this year.
5. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 843; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I was thinking the same, Samsung built a gem with the S4, it's still holding its own amongst the latest and greatest with larger sensors. :)
4. Jason2k13 (Posts: 657; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
HTC m8 camera samples looks horrible, the bluish tinge is soo noticeable.
9. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I wonder what's with the 10.71% and 7.69% who voted for the HTC One M8 and M7 (and the 4.86% for the Nexus 5)...like why would you go for something..that bad?
21. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 400; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Those were mostly HTC fans who knew those pics were so horrible they had to be HTC's. And they voted to save grace.
29. cordawgfrito (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Feb 2013)
You do know that the votes where done blind right? People didn't know what phone they were voting on. What camera took the photos. And the pics aren't horrible. You are just stupid.
31. pwnarena (Posts: 958; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
4mp photos are easy to spot. fans know their stuff. in the same way sony fans know the kind of noise to expect in the z1s photos.
87. cordawgfrito (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Feb 2013)
Actually that is wrong. Get some facts before make comments.
56. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
people has the right to guess. and if they always see the photo samples of their favorite phones, they can vaguely tell what phone it is in this blind test.
85. almostdone (Posts: 130; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Yes without the HTC fanboys these two phones would of probably come bottom of the pile.
Many non HTC fans pointed out in the blind test before the results Phone 5 was the HTC M8. Sometimes it is easy to spot with so little detailed captured and purple fringing everywhere.
6. williamdroid (Posts: 125; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Its a Beast Fone. No doubt about it.
I love mine in Red
Also, My Note 3 is awesome as well.
But i was expecting the Xperia to beat the G2.
8. UglyFrank (Posts: 542; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
This is why I bought the S4, it holds it own even till this day
39. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well in that case 808 will still beat all of these so ur logic unthinkable
90. CyberAngel (Posts: 47; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
no OIS for video or extreme low light
but bigger sensor/lens makes it still the best EVER
=> S4 holds on! :-D
10. Duketytz (Posts: 514; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Hmm I am expecting Samsung Fans to come in with shining armour to protect their GN3
12. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 843; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Doubt anybody is surprised by the Note 3 placement, it seems Samsung intentionally made it worse than the S4.
22. wildfiregt (Posts: 102; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
It's just a test by few random people. Real tests on GSMArena has shown that N3 is better than the s4
62. adecvat (Posts: 135; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Yeah, nothing comes close to being sold to Microsoft.
66. papss (unregistered)
Dafuk? I'm not sure what jab you were going for here?
13. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 381; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
It's so hilarious to read all the comments on the blind test post, nearly everyone who tried guessing was wrong. At one point someone thought that Phone 1 (Lumia 1520) was HTC One M8 Hahahaha
16. mr.techdude (Posts: 555; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
See that's how much it tells us that the general public are so loyal to big numbers. Pfffttt
14. Gemmol (Posts: 543; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
thank you phone arena, they probably heard how I call them bias when they put the 1520 down the other day. This is a much better way to turn down the bias response. I knew the 1520 is better cause I played with all the phones, not because I have one, only phone I have not tried is the new htc one so I cannot say much about it
19. papss (unregistered)
Interesting❕ I guess I better keep my 1520 close it seems.
33. lalalaman (Posts: 374; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
hey u said u have a 1520.....i wanted to know about the camera...no dout its has great camera with reduced noise and OIS andgreat colors but im hearing some issues about grainyness...the pics taken are grainywhich make pixels look like 5mp camera....will it go away with software update????