HTC One M8 sales are reportedly "fading"
Reportedly, tough competition in the high-end market segment, plus increased competition from Chinese vendors are to blame for the slowing sales.
Obviously, HTC didn’t comment on the “fading sales” matter, but the company probably knows that tougher times are yet to come - as newer generation high-end smartphones, like the LG G3, or Apple's iPhone 6 hit the market. Sure enough, HTC may be preparing its own new flagship handset for later this year, though it seems that this won't be the rumored One M8 Prime.
HTC One (M8)
1. Tizen007 (Posts: 516; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
My enthusiasm too is fading away. I want something new from the smartphone manufacturers! This goes for every company currently in the market. There is no excitement for me anymore when new handsets are about to be revealed. Time for the companies to find a new engine in this area...
9. CellularNinja (Posts: 302; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Not to be a troll or complainer, but why exactly is this news? It makes perfectly good sense that a smartphone's sales will decline over time.
24. Tizen007 (Posts: 516; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Because I didn't read the article. I just read the title. I'm not interested in HTC's sales progress.
And you'll be surprised how many irrelevant things people have to say on an article on this site.
52. dratomic (Posts: 461; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
... but, of course, the opinion of our readers isn’t necessarily the same as the opinion of most customers out there.
54. CellularNinja (Posts: 302; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Yeah I am confused about what that statement is supposed to mean
2. Derekjeter (Posts: 228; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
No Android phone will have a good year. And yes that includes the Note 4. Unless android brings something extremely cool it's all Apple this year. Once the iPhone get released or announced its over for Android this year. I left Apple for the bigger screen but I'll be going back for the 5.5 iPhone if it's true.
4. nokia12 (Posts: 324; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
lol so bigger screen is extremely cool now when apple is bringing it ?
5. Tuxedo_SNjr (Posts: 11; Member since: 01 May 2014)
Did you not read his comment? He said he left Apple for the bigger screen, and will be going back if they start making a bigger screen.
10. marcski07 (Posts: 377; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
lol you beat me, didn't even saw your comment, that's why i posted too... XD he's definitely an iPhone hater. LOL
40. slaggyb (Posts: 191; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
This Is exactly the kind of news Phonearena loves to broadcast. It's obvious they get incentives from Samsung that's why everyday the have news about the Galaxy S5. Irrelevant articles like tips and tricks with more than 8 videos. Smh! You all tripping @Phonearena
56. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 307; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
What a moaner. If you dont like pa then f off.
6. marcski07 (Posts: 377; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
do you even read my friend? he said he changed his iPhone because of small screen.. this means he wants big screen from the start. -_-
8. The-Sailor-Man (limited) (Posts: 885; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Cool story ;)
And cheap propaganda.
You have never left Apple. Right?
By the way , Note is not only bigger screen. Do not forget it.
14. wilsong17 (Posts: 908; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
How cute.. plz leave android we don't need user like you.. it better if you are in the close wall garden
17. wilsong17 (Posts: 908; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
You must be kinda special if you think people buy the note series for screen.. the note series offer more than just screen but I guess you never figure it out
36. Armchair_Commentator (Posts: 166; Member since: 08 May 2014)
But there are alot of people who bought the note because of the larger screen. Do you actually think the majority of phone users know anything about the specs of their phones other than what a salesman has told them?
49. skyline88 (Posts: 318; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
the mighty Note 4 compare with the next-gen iJunk?
51. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
By the time apple release the 4.7" & 5.5" phone, apple will be labeled as follower, and not leader, thus the premium-ness of the device is ZERO.
3. The-Sailor-Man (limited) (Posts: 885; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"Even so, the One M8 remains one of the best Android smartphones of this year. In fact, our readers recently voted it as being better than Samsung’s Galaxy S5 "
Don't tell me that you don't know.......MOSTLY your ifan readers voted for M8 to fight Samsung , and to "prove" that the cheap aluminium makes every phone "premium".
And they are majority on your and all tech sites. And restless
12. CellularNinja (Posts: 302; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I am not an ifan but I think the M8 is a better phone than the S5. Also, the reason Samsung hasn't yet used aluminum is because it ISN'T cheap.
28. The-Sailor-Man (limited) (Posts: 885; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"because it ISN'T cheap."
Whaaat? Who told you that? Apple propaganda?
53. CellularNinja (Posts: 302; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I think you misunderstood. The reason Samsung hasn't yet used aluminum is because aluminum is not as cheap as plastic is to manufacture.
60. amats69 (Posts: 1045; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Nah just dont mind him her...he only knows two things... To praise samsung and to bash samsungs competators...
15. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 384; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
I hate the aluminum build on my ipad. It's pretty, but holding it is a sweaty handed nightmare. My s5 feels great in hand
16. wilsong17 (Posts: 908; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Agree with that lol not even those who vote for the m8 bought one
35. amats69 (Posts: 1045; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
How did you know that? Do you know personally all the people who voted the m8? Just stop being bitter...it hurts but just accept it..m8 outshines your s5 on that poll.make life easy bro.lol
18. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 936; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
There, there, don't fight it, dear boy. The S5 DID come in like a lion...an aged, toothless lion, and it has already gone out like a lamb. The M8 never had the early sales, but it at least has awards and acclaim.
37. amats69 (Posts: 1045; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Cheap aluminumnis always be better than a cheap plastic bandaid.lol
61. amats69 (Posts: 1045; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Yeah thats why htc one m8 put htc on black again on thier last quarter sales and samsung reported loss on thier sales compared last year.. Htc slowly up...samsung slowly down...
46. AstronautJones (Posts: 262; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Maybe they can sell those awards to help pay the bills.
Not sure I have seen an m8 in the wild. Too bad.
I do like Samsung phones, but always good with competition to help push them along
33. mudhi (Posts: 6; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
I am not an 'ifan (although i dont see the problem in someone being a fan of a product)'. To put this into context, my last 2 phones have been the galaxy s3, and the original galaxy s before that, and I have never considered getting an iphone because i find them lacking in functionality compared to android phones in general. However bought the One M8 and my own opinion in my short time using it, is that it beats the s5 (which i tried out extensively from a family member when I was making my decision to purchase) in every way that matters to me. The interface is great without adding too much stuff that I dont use. I've found blinkfeed to be entertaining, and I the speakeres are just awesome. The main criticism from most people about the camera is moot point for me, as I only use a camera mainly for posting to facebook and other social networking stuff, and the camera more than fulfills that purpose. I also really like how fast the camera comes to life. Mostly, in a way that cant be quantified by specs or photos, I like this phone better than the S5 because it is just nicer to use. you claim that aluminium doesnt make a phone premium, and that is true to an extent, but the way HTC has built this phone, when you hold it in your hands, it just feels good, in the way that no samsung phone has ever felt to me. I think that most people that have used this phone would vote it better than the s5, all they need to do is play with it for a few minutes. I find your statement that people are specifically voting to fight samsung (fighting samsung or any large company by voting on an obscure article on one tech website seems ludicrous, and wouldnt matter one bit to any of the companies) kind of paranoid and a little silly. No offense intended.
7. KParks23 (Posts: 451; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
The difference in our opinion is we actually have a opinion! Most people are completely clueless about what they want they go in a store and get whatever the salesman tells them to buy. they see the Samsung commercial that says best screen, water resistant and all that. I can't tell u the last time I saw a HTC commercial and the one I saw was a guy using a phone nothing happens then tells people to check the internet! Wtf is that.. News flash htc the average person buying a phone is not smart enough to research and form a opinion on there own they either #1 see a samsung commercial and believe it, #2 go to the store and get sold a iphone or samsung or #3 get something just because there friends have it!
11. The-Sailor-Man (limited) (Posts: 885; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
What about ......blah, blah, blah....?
To make commercial , they have to have something to advertise on M8. Right?
But what???? The aluminium??? LOL
13. KParks23 (Posts: 451; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
They could make crap up just like everybody else does! Lol.. personally I like the m8 screen better than the s5 but thats me.but they gotta say something.
20. The-Sailor-Man (limited) (Posts: 885; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
You may like M8 screen better than S5 great screen, because is same "high tech" like the "Retina display"(??)
But HTC would NEVER dare to advertise it over S5 display. Period.
19. jellmoo (Posts: 669; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
This really shouldn't be surprising as the M8 is several months old and has penetrated just about every market. With the G3 just starting to penetrate new markets and high profile devices like the iPhone 6, Note 4 and new Nexus coming out in the short term, the M8 is becoming a harder sell.
22. fzacek (Posts: 1671; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
It's the horrible size-to-screen ratio that is keeping me away from the M8...
25. The-Sailor-Man (limited) (Posts: 885; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Yes. Plus onscreen buttons/
58. amats69 (Posts: 1045; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
You are wrong.....counting all your comments in this article proves that m8 penetrated your life...go enjoy your plastic bandaid..stop being bitter...lol...you sound like you are a discontented s5 owner.
26. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3059; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
HTC basically is doing nothing imaginative to promote the One M8. Maybe it is because they know they put a cheap gimmick camera on it that stretched out the phone vertically, used a screen that is worse than the one before it, took away the hardware buttons and left a big blank space, etc. It's not really that great of a new version.
Outside of the CPU/internals, the only nice things about the M8 -- better audio than the M7 and SD card memory expansion. The metalwork is done better as well.
The One M8 should have been the 4.7" One M7 with upgraded internals and a 13MP OIS camera module from Sony, the same as either the G2 or G3's camera. And officially have three hardware buttons, not two. It would be smaller than the G5, offer an awesome screen, amazing sound, and would be the defacto Android alternative to the iPhone.
Hopefully HTC will put on their big boy pants and get back to making really great phones without the suicidal blunders.
27. Lt.Green (Posts: 376; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I guess its time to release the new Butterfly.
29. Awalker (Posts: 318; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I had a one year contract on my LG Revolution way back when and the phone was barely usable by the time the year was up. I needed a new phone. Nowadays, phones can last a few years so there's really no need to upgrade. I could foresee using my Nexus 5 for a very long time.
30. HugoBarraCyanogenmod (Posts: 159; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
not gonna fade much as analyst think, Chinese OEMs will gonna leave some pie to HTC in China since they're our cousin. Samsung otherwise, why should we help korea?
31. LeBrownJames (Posts: 103; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
HTC has great phones but their marketing strategy is a failure.
32. zachattack (Posts: 566; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
LG in my opinion always adds new things to their phones. Freaking laser auto focus! And they started the back button thing. Lg is the future imo
34. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
HTC will most probably collapse next year.
59. amats69 (Posts: 1045; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I read same comments in the past years..but htc is still alive and kickin
42. aakashmr.10 (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Not to worry. The HTC one E8 will become a massive hit and bring back profits for HTC.
45. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2635; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Hahaha... What if sales figures are not good? This is the best smartphone with metal. ;)
HTC is doing same mistakes over and over and again and again. Release, Marketing and Price matters.
47. gigaraga (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
It's not a bad phone, at all. Except it does have its small faults which would lead me to assume that some of faults are the ones to blame for the bad sales
48. tiara6918 (Posts: 1414; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
This is what they get for not advertising. People buy based on the trend not because of how beautiful a device it. Specs doesn't matter for an average consumer
50. ciprian.ruse (Posts: 104; Member since: 13 May 2014)
Every post on this website gives a start on apple vs android devices war and I am sick and tired of users that don't have better things to do than troll around. Grow up people and stop with this comparation between apple and samsung,htc,lg...bla bla bla. Who likes IOS good for them and who likes android kudos. I don't give a f... about this war...the only thing I am interested is seeing better products and and new stuff to the table.