HTC One (M8) and Nokia Lumia 930 tackle the Ice Bucket Challenge
The HTC One (M8) has an IPx3 certification. That means it offers no protection from dust, but does offer protection from water sprayed up to 60 degrees at 10l per minute, pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for up to 5 minutes. The Nokia Lumia 930, as far as we know, is not safe against splashes like the HTC One (M8) is.
While Samsung was hoping that neither rival could survive the challenge (which made it a great promotional idea on Sammy's part) both the HTC One (M8) and the Nokia Lumia 930 managed to live on past the drenching. See for yourself by watching the video below.
source: CellphoneS via WMPoweruser
75. Tekkasonic (Posts: 11; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Umm... sony survived in the sea for 6 weeks... your move samsung, htc
50. sgodsell (Posts: 2661; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
He covered up the headphone jack holes with his finger. That is NOT fair at all. Sony's are already ip67. So it doesn't have to in my opinion.
51. BLUEBLASTER (Posts: 218; Member since: 23 Feb 2014)
Not true HTC One M8's headphone jack is at the bottom of the phone not the top.
35. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Not so impressive as the guy is clearly covering the headphone jack socket on 930 and protecting the power button on M8. Watch how is finger is so strategically placed.
41. kent-gaga (Posts: 370; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
just so you know he did not do that on purpose
it's just how he hold the phone in the most comfortable way
43. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
and of course he told that to you in person ?
So the most comfortable way to hold m8 is putting your finger on the power button ?! Nyah....am not buying that.
You can still hold the phone pretty comfortable by placing your fingers just on the side.
60. kent-gaga (Posts: 370; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Yes he told me in person because i'm his co-worker :p
You can check out my bts footage of this video @xperiagaga on instagram if you dont believe me
I dont know if the phone could survive the water test (which , according to a video that someone's been sharing, it could) but he did not do that on purpose
Please stop accusing people when you dont even know half of the truth
42. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3532; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
But the power button on the M8 is not in the middle. It's more to the side.
Edit: ok in the first part he covers the button, but not in the second.
48. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Samsung's fanboys are becoming annoying, quite worse than apple's. The M8 has been through water torture before with not so much an issue. Granted it was shallow but at least splash damage won't harm it.
The Nokia on the other hand does surprise me.
55. GalaxyS5 (banned) (Posts: 430; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
this site is full to the teeth with nokia fans. nokia-turned-sony and nokia-turned htc and nokia-turned-cheapchinese fans. I have no problems with htc and sony fans as I love these brands, you've got to respect other people's opinions too, if you don't like samsung don't go nuts about it and say fans are everywhere and annoying, and about apple fans? two or three at a maximum here and on most tech sites.
70. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
If you've been visiting the site for the past year or so you'll see the garbage that these samsung fanatics/ staunch defenders spew about other brands. Apple fans have grown up for the most part (save for a few trolls here & there).
72. GalaxyS5 (banned) (Posts: 430; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
lol no bro, apple fans don't bother searching or reading, generally are women and if not are "uneducated" in the field of smartphones. you gotta see the video of how they stuck an apple logo on a 20$ casio watch and told people it's the apple smartwatch and how they started praising it you'll laugh uncontrollably
52. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
This guy is so right! If he didn't have the finger on the M8's power button it would have died!!!!
Do your research.
54. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Now hold on there buddy no need to wet your pants. I didn't say m8 wouldn't survive otherwise i merely said this particular experiment is flawed and cannot be trusted entirely.
Also, i already knew about the video link you posted. But if you use some common sense you'd realise that submerging the phone in water is not the same thing as POURING FREEZING WATER WITH ICE CUBES. Also pouring water has much more force then merely putting the phone under water.
57. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Did you skip this too? "The HTC One (M8) has an IPx3 certification. That means it offers no protection from dust, but does offer protection from water sprayed up to 60 degrees at 10l per minute, pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for up to 5 minutes."
Are you going to tell me that this shouldn't be enough to withstand water pouring on it?
64. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
LOL. Of course ! Because water spraying and water pouring is not the same thing as water pressure is all that matters. Especially when the water poured has ice cubes and is freezing.
Also, stop posting wrong info to prove your point. Its not '10l per minute' its 0.7l per minute, which is extremely slow. In short, that certification only means it will probably survive under mild rain but nothing more. Also, we can clearly see in the video, the guy poured almost a litre of water in a matter of seconds
Go home. You're embarrassing yourself.
69. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Okay then, sorry. This is what i get from even remotely trusting PhoneArena and their questionable info, i didn't search IP certification and that quote was from the article, which is wrong too then. Sorry for spreading false information and have a good day.
71. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
np. I learned that lesson a while ago. It takes a bigger man to admit his mistake tho.
59. tiara6918 (Posts: 1949; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Nah, if you observe he even moved his finger on the middle of the m8(above the duo camera) on the next few secs
3. hurrycanger (Posts: 1545; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
lol, nice job from CellphoneS, beating both HTC and Nokia (or Microsoft?) at that. xD
4. theguy2345 (Posts: 1140; Member since: 24 Jun 2014)
Why did they give away the ending? I really wanted to see what happened. But they ruined it. But the phones did a good job surviving the drench.
5. ihavenoname (Posts: 1670; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
6. hurrycanger (Posts: 1545; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Samsung isn't so happy about all these... :3
9. ihavenoname (Posts: 1670; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
And imo the Samsung video is actually the worst (especially with the super-awkward S-Voice talking).
10. hurrycanger (Posts: 1545; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
yeah I hate Samsung's default TTS. It sounds so horrible. It bugs me so much when I use navigation.
One of my first things to do on a Galaxy: switch to Google's TTS.
67. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 2249; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
lol I did laugh at the last sentence... I challenge Samsung's design team... If they have one...
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10226; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lol Samsung they survived. Back to square one for the marketing department!
18. hassoups (Posts: 470; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
...with the headphone jack covered by his hand
27. rizevnarastek (Posts: 338; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
The HTC One_M8 has the headphone port on the bottom side adjacent to the USB port.
46. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
So you come here spout crap and failed to read any of the previous stories about the HTC One M8 and M7 can survive dunks in water with the M8 for a prolonged period.
I'm surprised about the Nokia though but they've always built tough phones.
8. naittosan (Posts: 234; Member since: 28 Jun 2014)
Anyone beside me getting tired of this ice bucket crap.
30. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1166; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
no the asl organisation has raised 15million dollars compared 50k last year when i checked a while back so it has some sort of effect but samsung taking for the sake of advertising is slightly wrong but yeah it supports a cause !
45. uzimafioso (Posts: 159; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
And people have wasted more than $18 million worth of water. It is a precious resource... Water and just imagine how much energy wasted on making that ice which you dunk upon yourself... The challenge included the donation part and people don't donate that much...
47. naittosan (Posts: 234; Member since: 28 Jun 2014)
Well I'd be more impressed if they would catch bullets with their teeth.
53. magnanimus (Posts: 449; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Lol. Let's all go through the stress of closing down all water parks and pools plus put a ban on long shower times since this natural resource is too scarce to waste and suddenly people care about water when a good deed is being done
62. -box- (Posts: 3984; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
If folks do it over grass then the water will benefit the grass. But since a lot of the western US is in drought conditions it does seem wasteful, plus the original intent was to either offer money or get iced, IIRC, though I haven't been paying attention.
63. Nobodey (Posts: 75; Member since: 03 Jan 2010)
"Wasted more than 18 million worth of water...". How much do you think water costs?
65. Pattyface (Posts: 1307; Member since: 20 Aug 2014)
You clearly missed the point then. It's called awareness you insensitive human. Have you looked at the amount raised so far versus last year? Think before you talk. People like you piss me off
73. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1166; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I mean you pay for this water and ice so technically you're paying for you're wasting you're allowed to waste what you pay for that's one and two idc if people don't donate the fact that last year they didn't even make a million and now they're making a couple of million says something
11. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
They survived! Hell yea! Samsung must be crying right now.
12. amats69 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
lol and that's a lot of water compared to what s5 used on their challenge. So samsung who you challenge now?lmao
14. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Xperia Z2 lol? It will definitely survive the challenge like a boss.
15. amats69 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Lol for sure samsung will nit challenge that beast.haha
13. D.Lamore (Posts: 198; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
i fans butt hurt over this stunt by samsung , the message was simple , galaxy s5 is water proof and iphone isn't . A rat can't be out in the rain with a lizard and expect their bodies to respond equally. You will be taking a risk if you do that with your iphone. You will equally void your warranty ,so u are on your own
16. amats69 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
The message is sjmple..Samsung started this...and all those phones they challenge accepted the challenge and they survive even if this phones are not waterproof/water resistant...
66. Pattyface (Posts: 1307; Member since: 20 Aug 2014)
Actually the s5 isn't water proof but resistant.
17. Jason2k13 (Posts: 979; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
so i'm I the only one who noticed how he covered the headphone sockets at the top?
19. amats69 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Maybe ur the only one..because m8's headphone socket is in the bottom of the phone
23. Jason2k13 (Posts: 979; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
and whats that big hole at the top of the lumia called?
24. amats69 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Do i have to teach you how to use the plural form of socket?On the video about only one phone got a headphone jack on the top of the phone and yet u used the word sockets which means u assumed that also the m8 headphone jack possitioned on the top.
28. Jason2k13 (Posts: 979; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
oh please explain to me the plural form of socket? i just don't understand why i added the 'S' when i'm clearly talking about both phones.
And I did assume the m8's headphone was at the top cause i didnt bother doing my research, but your just being a smart ass about it.
Do you even know why I'm also adding the Lumia in this conversation? Yet your only talking about the M8? use your brain to figure that out.