Ellen's Samsung Galaxy Note 3 sends out the most popular tweet in history
As it turns out, it was mission accomplished for Degeneres, whose tweet can be found below. The message from @TheEllenShow broke the previous record which showed President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama embracing after the president won re-election in November 2012. Ellen's tweet actually "broke Twitter" as the ensuing traffic surge caused the messaging application to go down for a few minutes.
In case you're wondering who is in the picture on the record breaking tweet, you can see Ellen, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt and others. By the way, we'd say that Ellen did a fabulous, if understated job, which certainly cleared the stench left over from Seth McFarlane's hosting job last year.
While the Oscars has its usual set of winners and losers, Samsung was the big winner in the mobile space. Besides getting as much free publicity from Ellen as possible, the Korean tech titan debuted ads for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Samsung Gear 2 smartwatch. Each 30 second spot cost the manufacturer $1.8 million. Samsung bought 5 minutes of airtime for Sunday night's show.
Ellen's selfie becomes most popular tweet ever
1. New record breaking tweet
2. Previous record holder
source: @TheEllenShow, @BarackObama via Forbes
UPDATE: Well, no sooner does the telecast end then it was revealed that while Ellen might have been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on stage, backstage she was employing her Apple iPhone. That's show biz!
9. SleepingOz (unregistered)
18. Tizen007 (Posts: 500; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Heart beat sensor is not "only" a gimmick its innovation.
A gimmick is technology and technology is innovation. You can't categorize that into different things.
41. KillerKeyboard (Posts: 307; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
58. hurrycanger (Posts: 952; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Some people out there think the phone's camera can do better than a sensor built specifically for heart rate measuring, I guess.
19. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1120; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
39. superduper (Posts: 125; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
Ellen's Galaxy Note 3 didn't last long...
45. mrblah (Posts: 419; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
So great she switch to iPhone back stage lol
48. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6220; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
awesome pic with a awesome phone
2. LiyanaBG (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
i have a note 3 and i love it. its the best samsung device to date .
its one of the best phones out now.
11. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Right! And it will still be the best smartphone out there 'til the Note4 is released imo. There'll be better smartphones in term of hardware released by then, but the Note experience is extremely hard to beat! LG is trying to adapt Samsung's features on its smartphones, in vain. Samsung is the only one that's exploiting Android's full potential.
23. utg001 (Posts: 31; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I don't like Samsung that very much especially after S4, I'm more of a WP fan. But on Samsung's Note, I have to admit that it has got one hell of interface, simply beautiful. Nothing beats that.
3. Sauce (unregistered)
This is because of Ellen and the celebs.
The face of the celebs, not the face of the phone.
6. Sauce (unregistered)
What credit lmao? No really... Show me where this tweet mentions Samsung.
40. Heatfan316 (Posts: 357; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Look at your avatar! What an iBot loser. Sounds like crying like a little baby.
57. Sauce (unregistered)
Butthurt fanboy is butthurt!!
ellll ohhhh ellll
54. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7683; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The credit for being able to pull off such a great marketing campaign? Besides Sony pictures, the only big name was Samsung, Samsung, Samsung.
14. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 156; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
I wouldn't give them credit. Have you seen the picture? The skin tones came out all out of whack and its blurred from the outer sides. Nothing to brag home about.
51. tech2 (Posts: 1875; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
You do know that's taken from 2MP front cam right ?
55. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7683; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I love hearing this comment every year lol.
59. hurrycanger (Posts: 952; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
What do you love about it? You're weeeirrrd. xD
8. newbey123 (Posts: 392; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
It's because of Ellen and the stars, has nothing to do with the crapsung. Talk about desperation.
10. joey_sfb (Posts: 2727; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Plastic don't put people in hospital killing quite a few of them.
I wonder what their ifan feel about this. "They holding it wrong?" Or what? Hoax!? Lol!
Remember what's goes round comes around! You are next!
12. SleepingOz (unregistered)
C'mon. Polycarbonate is more suitable for smartphone than any other material. It is light, durable, heat and corrosion resistant, flexible to a certain extent, which means that it can absorb shock, doesn't conduct heat nor electricity and doesn't interfere with signals.
What does aluminium has over polycarbonate other than a "premium" feel in hands?
16. SleepingOz (unregistered)
And based on your logic, if the Note 3 is the king of plastic, the 5C must a plastic failure then..
25. N3Z1droid (Posts: 77; Member since: 02 Jan 2014)
You mean that 5Crap of plastic? That junk really awfull...
60. hurrycanger (Posts: 952; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
5C: one of the ugliest phones, all thanks to Apple's design.
49. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6220; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
At least you can remove the battery unlike some phones
15. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3058; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Still wp fans will say lumia 1520 kills Galaxy Note 3. Lol, in their dreams. It takes more than specs to match note 3.
50. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6220; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
And the OSCAR goes to GALAXY NOTE III
17. androiphone20 (Posts: 1399; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
"backstage she was employing her Apple
iPhone. That's show biz!"
21. ezfidel (Posts: 8; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Been using the Lumia 1520 and bought the note 3 on Craigslist for 360 cause I love the back of it, it looks elegant from the back. I'm trying to really like it but its glitchy. Its smooth at times and stutters with simple things like opening up texts. I had decided to sell it and go back to the 1520 but after reading these posts about how good note 3 is ill give it a second chance.
29. livyatan (Posts: 679; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Hey, was that Note on KitKat?
Trust me on KitKat everything is running perfectly..even the dreaded Samsung stock messaging app is finally sorted out.
BUT did you know you can replace the default texting app?
I use textra.. far smoother and prettier than stock(with its hideous smiling contact icons)
32. joey_sfb (Posts: 2727; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Android need new phone or a wipe/factories reset plus a partition cache wipe.
When you understand these jargon you will not have problem with Android phone.
My friend bought a second hand galaxy s3 having software problem. With his permission I help him do a wipe/hard reset. Now he is a happy s3 user. Most user that buy second hand phone has this problem hope Google will clean up this portion of their code and be less geeky about it.
24. DnB925Art (Posts: 157; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I remember when the Original Note came out, not just all the "tech writers" made fun of it, but many of the people in the tech community made fun of it as well. I currently own both Note 1 and Note 2 and it still is the best phone out there (skipped the Note 3 since the Note 2 is still going strong and does everything I want, but will be getting the Note 4).
26. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3058; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I admit note 3 looks better than xperia z1, one max and galaxy s5(the latter based on photos) just because how compact it is, how slim the bezels are. It doesnt feel like it is 5.7 inch phablet. The leather like back is sleek. Galaxy s5 with same design as note 3 would have rocked. Modern glam my a**.
43. skinny95black (Posts: 113; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
Gotta agree with you on the note having a better look than s5 but the z2 is also good looking and the max have something wrong with it and the good thing about the note that it's compact even with a big screen it can fit in your hand
28. livyatan (Posts: 679; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Meryl Strep and Julia Roberts are the best parts of the photo, author.
Anyway, here's a thought..even the most famous and rich people can't have a better phones than us ordinary citizens.
They can have Rolls Royce's home theater tv's, but the things they use the most are just like ours.
And that is pretty great thing about the mobile phone revolution..It is a great equalizer in a way.
31. monkeytown (Posts: 107; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
samsung should thank her,
they need all help they can get for their new awesome S5 :D
53. KillerKeyboard (Posts: 307; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Samsung paid her (or them) to do that.
33. jibraihimi (Posts: 667; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Update is more interesting than the post itself, enough to burst the bubble of samsung's fan......
34. TechFreak123 (Posts: 83; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
Only shows how the iPhone's front camera is a huge flop.
35. nexusdude (Posts: 147; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
Seth was hilarious last year. Plus, there wasn't a single Oscars host who hasn't been bashed yet. Including Ellen.
38. wando77 (Posts: 268; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
I love how Ellen had no idea that tilting the phone on its side would get them all in the pic. That Bradley guy kept trying to tell her and in the end took the phone and tilted it....haha
56. ezfidel (Posts: 8; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Im on 4.3. I didn't know kit Kat was out for note 3. I'm using textra now thanks I'm loving it.