Crooks near San Francisco are ripping off Apple iPad buyers using floor tiles
Once at home, the buyer would quickly open the box only to find that what they paid all that money for, was a tile with an Apple logo pasted on it, or a box full of packaging peanuts. By including some of the proper documentation and placing the Apple logo in the right spot, the scammers are able to pull one over on their marks, even if they make a quick perusal of the inside of the box.
If you're going to buy an iPad from someone standing on a street corner, you need to open the box and take out the device to examine it. Otherwise you just might find that you've been ripped off. While this has been happening often in Ceres, it is a scam that can happen anyplace. Don't be foolish.
Scammers are replacing Apple iPads with tiles and selling them to unsuspecting buyers Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
This Samsung Galaxy F (S5 Premium) concept looks almost real
07 Mar 2014, 23:59
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Scammers are replacing Apple iPads with tiles and selling them to unsuspecting buyers
source: SFGate via BGR
1. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 81; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Lol! I never knew that there was something more useless that an iPad.
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6051; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Too bad it's been proven to be the best tablet in the world.
6. hurrycanger (Posts: 447; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Are you referring to the iPad or the floor tile?
I'm not sirius.
9. Pem3108 (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
I wonder what formula they used to determine that???
35. 14545 (Posts: 975; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Proven best by whom? "Best" is subjective. What you think is "best" might not be what is actually "best". What is this proof? Is it quantifiable?
11. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 380; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
lol, what, are you saying a $500-900 piece of tile with a Apple logo on it is not a good deal??? appleshemy!!!
2. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1807; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
A fool & his/her money are soon separated.
5. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6051; Member since: 14 May 2012)
To think we live in the same world as someone who dishes out money without checking out what they bought is beyond me..
8. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1807; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Truth. If it sounds like too good of a deal to be true, it usually is. How hard is it to open the box & inspect the goods before handing over the cash? I wouldn't necessarily expect someone to do that in a retail store, but when some guy walks up to you on the street....
3. ocilfa (Posts: 284; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
For as dishonest and wrong it is, I don't feel sorry for those who got scammed. They frankly had it coming.
10. androiphone20 (Posts: 975; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
If anything comes up at cut rate price I think it's reason enough to get you to check it out before purchasing it
12. Killua (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
At least they got the logo. Shouldn't they be content with that?
14. AfterShock (Posts: 946; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
This is a shame.
I feel bad for those that lost their money to this.
Fan favorites aside, no one deserves to be ripped off.
16. Shteeve (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Tbf when you buy any Apple product your paying for the logo and thats exactly what they got
22. genkidama20 (Posts: 19; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for"
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 8957; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Folks buy your iPad from a reputable dealer please. This isn't funny at all, at least check before handing over your money. I've bought and sold on Craigslist, when buying I check, smell the charging port, and power on before hand. If it's a phone they have to meet at at&t to do the deal, if not, no deal. Apple haters will flood this article with their usual no life having banter, but be careful everyone. Post #1 is a classic example of idiocy.
20. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 166; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
A reputable iPad dealer??? Name one... ;)
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 8957; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Bestbuy, Radio Shack, Apple, At&t, Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint, Walmart. There, I named 8. Everything's not a joke dude.
24. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6051; Member since: 14 May 2012)
He doesn't get it darkk. Trolling as usual.
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 8957; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly smurf, it's like man are they ever serious? +1
27. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 166; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Serious... on a website about tech?
26. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 166; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Lighten up, it was a joke. geesh
28. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 166; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
And you need to lighten up, it was a friggin joke. Not everything is trolling. And I don't consider myself a troll.
29. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6051; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It was a troll comment. It wasn't even funny either btw, so you need work on your humor.
30. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 166; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Whatever, perhaps you and jedi don't find it amusing. Thank god you're not the standard of what is funny or not.
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 8957; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Every article isn't joke material dude. Time and place for it.
34. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 166; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Is it an article about thousands of deaths after a disaster? Is it an article about a woman who lost her kids? Or the next strike on innocent live?
No, it's about people being screwed over for a couple of hundred bucks, too stupid to watch closer. Tough luck.
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6051; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I do the exact same, even sniffing the charging of the device..
For phones, I wouldn't are buy one without meeting at T-Mobile. Hell no.
+1 same logic.
31. hurrycanger (Posts: 447; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I hate how T-mobile charges $50 for return or exchange. And that was the case at a T-mobile store, not a low-class authorized dealer.
19. gprime (Posts: 16; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
It says a lot about the ifanz, they will buy anything with an apple logo