Best smartphones of MWC 2016: PhoneArena Awards
56. Tanujtiwari (Posts: 79; Member since: 18 Mar 2015)
Seriously? There is nothing G5 can't do what S7 can!
Such stupidity phonearena, such stupidity. That G5 can do anything...except bribing this website ofc
57. Shocky (unregistered)
Water/dust resistance? wireless charging? low light camera? large battery?
59. Tanujtiwari (Posts: 79; Member since: 18 Mar 2015)
Sure. Care to take the blindfold off and see what LG offers? BEST USER EXPERIENCE. BEST ALL ROUND LASER AF CAMERA. UM, A NON FINGERPRINT MAGNET BACK :P I don't even have to talk of pricing, 1 tb SD card support and removable battery. BAM
63. DerryAhmad (Posts: 278; Member since: 05 May 2012)
- Best User experience? Subjective. As much as many don't like Touchwiz, the LG's skin were more critized than Sammy's skin
- Best Allround Auto Focus? S7/Edge Autofocus with its Dual Pixel tech was praised as the best one coming out of the MWC 2016
- Fingerprint Magnet Back? Sure. But it's not as Flashy as the Silver/Gold S7/Edge. Many thinks the G5 are ugly. My point, design is subjective.
- 1 Tb SD Card: Even S7/Ege supports that too. Good luck finding one though.
- Removable Battery: Yes. This is the most obvious advantage the G5 has over the S7/Edge. It's modular design is very interesting. But one can also argue the longevity of it. Not to mentioned dust getting inside.
- Dual Camera: the dual camera is very intriguing. It's wide cam surely helpful in scenery or group photos. Quality wise, we have to wait for the review.
Objectively, The S7/Edge has the 'edge' over the G5 on:
- Bigger Battery. Especially the S7 Edge with a whopping 3600 mAh
- Water/Dust Resistant.
- Wireless Charging
- Edge UX (for S7 Edge)- now it become very useful, with lots of options.
- Brighter Camera.
- Gaming Experience. With Vulcan API and Game launcher (for recording, screenshot and uninterrupted gaming experience)
- Liquid cooling system.
- Display. This one is a little subjective. But the S7/Edge Display is brighter than the G5. Also, Displaymate crowned the S7/Edge Display as the best mobile phone display.
64. RuneMaster (Posts: 75; Member since: 31 May 2015)
It's your opinion. And people has their own opinion also. So, bear with it.
66. TheGranter (Posts: 51; Member since: 28 Jan 2016)
the lg g5 not being water resistant is reason enough not to get it for me.
17. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
So Mr Silk making alternate account to sound like Samsung fan are more numerous?
28. KONICHIWA-ANNYONG (unregistered)
So... Samsung fan = robot?
Typical anti-Samsung attitude.
51. chenski (Posts: 409; Member since: 22 Mar 2015)
Really? This was the only mwc award article it won...
58. Shocky (unregistered)
marorun is a self confessed Samsung hater.
If the topic is anything to do with Samsung just pay no attention to him
3. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 793; Member since: 11 May 2013)
The Xperia Z design is better than xperia P, the brushed aluminum design looks so dated!
They could have just brought again the design from sony xperia Arc S
5. JMartin22 (Posts: 1969; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Because there's nothing standout about it besides a removable battery. All its improvements were lukewarm compared to the generational shift from the S6 to the S7
9. BobbyDigital (Posts: 1926; Member since: 29 May 2014)
But you think something stands out about the S7/S7edge?? They're basically just an incremental update from the previous model. Nothing stand out about them. I think you need to revisit MWC because it's the S7/S7edge that had lukewarm imorovements.
32. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
The G5 has a different way to remove battery and an uglier design... Yeh I think I prefer a bigger battery, better camera, better design and water proof.
34. BobbyDigital (Posts: 1926; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Ugly is subjective. What's ugly to you isn't ugly to others. You really should get used to people not sharing your opinion.
Better camera?? Lmao!! Very much doubt that. Better design is also subjective. And I'm not dumb enough to use my phone in the shower or rain or drop it down the toilet so water proof is a pretty much useless feature for me.
I'll take innovation over me too, same old same old any day.
45. kartik.07 (Posts: 13; Member since: 04 May 2015)
Comparatively to S7 edge its ugly and s7 edge have best camera, best screen, faster cpu nd gpu new vulkan api and a higher capacity battery only thing g5 have is new way toh remove battery and this post is about best smartphone and not about innovation
61. BobbyDigital (Posts: 1926; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Thanks for admitting Samsung didn't innovate. ;-)
38. John-Knotts (Posts: 116; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
Did you even read the article? They didn't need to innovate after already doing it last year. I'm impressed that they didn't need a bunch of new gimmicks (that no one is going to care about) to win.
To me that says whatever they are doing, they are excelling at. :)
42. BobbyDigital (Posts: 1926; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Not at MWC they didn't. LG won those awards. Same thing on other sites as well. Everyone knows PA is iPhonearena on some days and Samsungarena on others.
60. Shocky (unregistered)
Considering they almost nailed it with the Galaxy S6/Edge it terms of design last year an incremental update is more than enough to see off the competition from LG.
They've also brought back water/dust resistance with with no annoying flaps, the sdcard slot, wireless charging is still built-in, low light performance is much better and they made it slight thicker to squeeze in a larger battery which we can all appreciate.
Just admit it, the Galaxy S7 is great phone.
The LG G5 has two new features, that's all. The dual camera setup and and modules.
I haven't seen any evidence these bring anything worthwhile to the table yet, they're gimmicks which smart people users will see through them.
Also the LG G5 is one ugly phone, the camera module is the most pointless thing I've ever seen and it makes it look even worse.
62. BobbyDigital (Posts: 1926; Member since: 29 May 2014)
It's a great phone... *To you*. Everyone doesn't nor do they have to share in your opinion. It's nothing more than an incremental update. Samesung has copied Apple's model to a "T".
Samsung has brought nothing new to the table here. It's literally the same phone with a few "updates". But you Samsung fanboys see it as the second coming of Jesus. You're worse than Apple fanboys.
Like I said... Looks are subjective. But again, you Samesung fanboys think because *you* like it, everyone should. It looks plain to me. Same thing as the S6 and S6edge. We've seen it all before.
18. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
He is tottaly right the S7 edge nothing stand out.
Only better hardware and better camera.
23. joeytaylor (Posts: 443; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
Not the same screen.
not the same design.
31. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
While the G5 just has a different way to remove battery?
6. DoggyDangerous (Posts: 857; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
Originally G5 won the best device of MWC 2016 award from GSM Association(the organizer of MWC). Rating of PA doesnt matter. G5 already won the show.
8. KillTheKardashians (banned) (Posts: 93; Member since: 19 Feb 2016)
mimimimi LG mimimi i´m braveheart mimimi best phone mimimimi i have small testicles mimimi my life is so lame mimimi
14. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Say the lame troll with a brand new account.
26. DoggyDangerous (Posts: 857; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
You have small testicles? thats bad, poor guy. Plz consult some doctor instead of doing mimimi here. Plz dont do that again, It sounds like one of those small testicle stuck in your throat.
16. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
PA did not even listen to its reader thats also choosen the G5 as winner.
This show how biased PA can be sometime.
22. HouTexan (Posts: 439; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
You actually trust PA polls? Everyone knows that anything Samsung or Apple will have people shooting dor other brands in these polls. Come with a different argument next time.
46. DarkVader777 (Posts: 50; Member since: 10 Feb 2016)
Why is Lg G5 even mentioned. Who wrote this article Steve Harvey?
65. JumpinJackROMFlash (Posts: 450; Member since: 10 Dec 2014)
Because the G5 is an ugly piece of s**t from a second tier phone maker always second to Samsung.
7. GhostRider (Posts: 8; Member since: 01 Dec 2012)
Where's the HP Elite X3? The phone is IP67 water-resistant, has dual front facing Bang & Olufsen speakers, has Windows Continuum and has a laptop shell that can connect to the phone wirelessly, has a MicroSD card slot for up to 2TB additional storage, has a 4150 mAh battery, the same Snapdragon 820 as the rest of these, and has an iris and fingerprint scanner. How is such a beast of a phone not on this list? It's definitely better than the Xperia X Performance, and even the G5.
10. KillTheKardashians (banned) (Posts: 93; Member since: 19 Feb 2016)
Because Windows & Plastic
52. dr_fajardo12 (Posts: 118; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
phone arena = wp hater. or maybe phonearena = ms hater
11. meanestgenius (Posts: 11495; Member since: 28 May 2014)
I was just going to comment something similar. The HP Elite X3 was the best (TO ME) smartphone of MWC. As you said, it's a BEAST. At the very least, it should have been somewhere on this list.
12. GTNavy (Posts: 44; Member since: 13 Oct 2014)
This is a anti-Windows website. They are punishing Microsoft for their monopolistic past by embracing a new monopoly. The HP Elite x3 had just as equal specs and superior features even. Everything and the kitchen sink. This whole site really disgusts me.
19. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Yeah the Elite X3 really looked like a winner as well.
But i agree with some comment the design of the phone was nothing special.
Still its should be top 3 much more than the S7 thats bring nothing new really..
21. jellmoo (Posts: 1585; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I really like the device as well, but we have to be honest, it's a niche device. The G5 and S7 are the better mass market devices and will better suit *most* people. The Elite x3 nails the productivity market very well, but it is a niche sector.
40. jkyap (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Feb 2016)
OF COURSE IT IS NOT ON THE LIST SIMPLY BECAUSE IT DOESNT HAVE THE OUTSTANDING CAMERAS OF THE BIG PLAYERS, AND AN EXQUISITE DESIGN. it is not excellent OVERALL, in short. camera and design are the two most important aspects nowadays, because they are probably something that just cant easily be made and something that can make you happy to brag about.
48. jellmoo (Posts: 1585; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Two points: 1) How on earth do you know that it does not in fact have an outstanding camera? 2) Are you under the impression that you somehow magically prove your point by yelling?
67. JumpinJackROMFlash (Posts: 450; Member since: 10 Dec 2014)
Also the fact that HP is selling only to enterprise customers which makes it unavailable to regular consumers would be a huge part of this decision! A phone you can't buy as a regular Joe isn't that interesting to a regular Joe.
68. meanestgenius (Posts: 11495; Member since: 28 May 2014)
There are ways to get phones being marketed towards enterprise. I'm pretty sure HP will make this device available for all on their website. Even if the average consumer couldn't buy it, that should not take away from the fact that the Elite X3 is a beast of a handset, deserving to be on this list.
69. meanestgenius (Posts: 11495; Member since: 28 May 2014)
I was even able to sign up on HP's website to be notified when the Elite X3 will be available for purchase.
13. LittleGaGaKiller (Posts: 283; Member since: 19 Jan 2015)
GUYS!!!!! I have just tried S7 edge today at Saturn (local store in Germany) IT IS AMAAAAAAAZING AND THE FEELING IN THE HAND IT'S JUST...... VERY COMPACT AND COMFORTABLE TO HOLD !!! I can't believe how small it is when i compared it to my iphone 6 plus there although both are 5.5 inches!
And i gotta say, the Black color is CLAAAAAAAS and luxurious looking!
Bye iPhone, it was a great/painful journey since September 23rd 2013 !
27. Xperia14 (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Sep 2015)
No FM-radio = no buy for me. Otherwise it would have been the perfect smartphone for me :(
29. KONICHIWA-ANNYONG (unregistered)
FM radio is nothing I care about nowadays, but what choices do you have?
30. Xperia14 (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Sep 2015)
G5, M10 and Z6 (if there will be one) all have FM radio, but waterproofing and good battery life are also a must for me, so I'll probably have to wait till IFA for a possible Z6...
35. ibend (Posts: 4573; Member since: 30 Sep 2014)
didnt they already said that Z line is dead, and X will replace them?
43. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1498; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
It will get a 9.3 just like the iPhone to avoid flame wars
33. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 2054; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
i agree samsung gs7 is the same as s6 in design, upgraded camera and UI ONLY. it should be called S6-U upgrade.
lg G5 IS the new and should get grand prize,..lol
41. John-Knotts (Posts: 116; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
Because it's new? Seriously? Just no...