Apple allegedly got really pissed off by Samsung's "Next Big Thing" ads campaign
Samsung's attorney stated that Phil Schiller, the head of Apple's marketing department, was rather anxious about the competition coming from Samsung at the time. Allegedly, a little after the "Next Big Thing" campaign had gained momentum, Schiller forwarded an article to his colleagues via email. The article asked one simple question: "Has Apple lost its cool to Samsung?", and just below it Schiller had shortly stated that "we have a lot of work to do to turn this around".
John Quinn also stated that Phil Schiller's irritation made the latter bring up the matter to Apple's CEO, Tim Cook. Schiller purportedly suggested that Tim Cook should oust Apple's marketing agency TBWA\Chiat\Day, which had been taking care of the company's advertising campaigns since the mid-80s. Quinn claimed that Apple's board went even further, as it purportedly discussed Schiller's proposition several times.
Apple is trying to lay its hands on roughly $2 billion in compensations from Samsung, as the latter purportedly infringed on five patents, owned by the Cupertino tech giant.
source: The Verge via BGR
1. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1115; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Woah, what's with the bad language? Change that to "cheesed off"!
18. androiphone20 (Posts: 1393; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I struggled to keep a straight face going through this post
33. Marienx (Posts: 17; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Samsung's marketing campaign "drove Apple crazy" - Yeah Apple, and how you think Microsoft felt with your " I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" ad campaigns. IN YOUR FACE. Sorry, but this dumb campaigns straight trashing the competition were started by you... Samsung just lower themselves to your level.
2. _Bone_ (Posts: 2104; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
LOL @Samsung trolling Apple even at the courthouse. Not that it's related, but since they couldn't convince the judge of the pointlessness of icon rows and other stuff that shouldn't be patented, maybe the power of humor will bring Apple to it's knees (do apples have knees? Or backbones?)
11. Kyokado (Posts: 115; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Or a sense of humor for that matter. Hope lucy koh gets it.
3. networkdood (Posts: 6247; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
LMAO - I love it - someone pee'oed Apple...Maybe if Apple stopped being lazy....but, I guess when their legion of iZombies buy their products automatically, then there is no incentive for APPLE to make improvements much...
7. Finalflash (Posts: 1437; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
They have done an amazing amount of work to raise the iClown army though. They have been trained very well to like whatever they are told to like and even go so far as to defend Apple for screwing them over. It really is a dictators dream thing they got going on there, very lucrative it is.
10. Kyokado (Posts: 115; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Sorry. For the moment apple wants their customers to enjoy their new service: iLazy. For more details on this new service feel free to head over to apple.com/us/ilazytocomeupwithnewproducts for more details.
29. ecmedic4 (Posts: 193; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Is trolling all you ppl know how to do? I mean honestly, why does it bother you so much what Apple does or doesn't do, or that some ppl like and prefer Apple products? They aren't spending your money, so what is the big deal? You sound like little kids instead of adults.
34. networkdood (Posts: 6247; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
trolling would be if were discussing windows phones...which we are not - now, run along...
39. Finalflash (Posts: 1437; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
That is a problem though, people are well aware of Apple's strong arming tactics but continue to support such a corporation. They are also aware of Apple litigating like mad, stifling innovation and generally just being douches in an arena (mobile hardware) where everyone was somehow co-existing fairly peacefully before they showed up. They also seem to be rolling in money but still find it necessary to cripple older hardware with updates to force upgrades (unlike Android or WP which make it better with updates, so either Apple's retarded or they're doing it on purpose). Really, there is only one major way a person can justify buying Apple products, and it isn't "preference" or "appeal" but first and foremost, it is ignorance.
44. roscuthiii (Posts: 1785; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
"Is trolling all you ppl know how to do? I mean honestly, why does it bother you so much what Apple does or doesn't do, or that some ppl like and prefer Apple products? They aren't spending your money, so what is the big deal? You sound like little kids instead of adults."
What they are doing is spending (possibly your) money in an to prevent people from buying the products they prefer. So yes, it does matter what Apple is doing.
For someone apparently taking the stance of consumer choice, then you should see this and be just as against it as anyone else. Otherwise that childish troll you think you're looking at, is really just your reflection.
5. networkdood (Posts: 6247; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
SAMSUNG!! Keep it up with the AD campaign - at least Samsung shows off the capability of what their products can do while showing what an iPhone cannot do...
APPLE just shows off the product with some snazzy music and some words flashing in and out - no substance, all glitter...
37. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6131; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
And it's the TRUTH Apple device can't do what Samsung DEVICES do. And the TRUTH HURTS. And Apple don't know how to handle the HEATED competition. And their crying to their NOT so faithful judge
6. SellPhones82 (Posts: 473; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
So apparently Apple's answer to "we have a lot of work to do to turn this around" was to sue Samsung because they marketing was better than Apple's and provide the type of products people wanted to buy? How again is it Samsung's fault that Apple hung on to the same paradigm for too long? That seems like an Apple problem to be and they are once again too arrogant to admit it.
8. AJtheAndroid (Posts: 25; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
With all these trials arent the juries made up of iphone using people.
38. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6131; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yep that's how they won the first trial few years ago they only pic APPLE FANS.
12. D79_D79_ (Posts: 38; Member since: 19 Feb 2014)
So unprofessional of PA for using swear words!!
also apple you need to get a grip, haters gonna hate but never win in the end. Samsung rocks!!!
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Then apple should shut up and make the next, next big thing.
15. androiphone20 (Posts: 1393; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Indeed, I think with what they've gone through they can just call it quits. If any "iphone killer" was out there I'd be holding it in my hands as we speak.
16. tedkord (Posts: 4275; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Not gonna happen. The Steve Jobs attitude of once Apple copies something no one else can ever again still permeates Cupertino like really bad body odor.
22. buccob (Posts: 1307; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I agree darkk, those companies should focus on true innovation in their devices as much as they do on their marketing...
Apple should make Samsung shut up by delivering a truly wonderful iPhone... and then Samsung should do the same later on...
This also applies to other manufacturers...
31. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Simply get in the lab and blow the doors off. Samsung will one up them, they'll one up Samsung. Who wins? The consumer...
35. networkdood (Posts: 6247; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
instead, both companies are in a bit of a rut...
40. lyndon420 (Posts: 1687; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Exactly...very well said. All this money wasted in litigation when they both could be pumping out cool new tech. No matter who wins, in the end it will tarnish both companies reputations.
14. androiphone20 (Posts: 1393; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
This will be going on for a month. *turns to Samsung, wears a feud mask and lights a cigar*, tell me about your father.
17. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2644; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I absolutely loved that ad series. Brilliant piece of marketing. My ios friends really got annoyed and got a bit jelly.
20. PBXtech (Posts: 966; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
I'm sure Samsung's new tablet ad, with the pencil and the iPad Air being overshadowed is even making them madder.
21. Trex95 (Posts: 541; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Samsung admit it you're the biggest Apple fan.
23. PBXtech (Posts: 966; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Yeah man, they love it when Apple buys their hardware components.
24. The13thKing (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Yeah Specially when they manufacture the processors and the screens.
25. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 501; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Wow, never it be said that Apple has no sense of humor.
26. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 501; Member since: 20 May 2012)
I swear to God, this sounds like playground school yard bullying BS. Apple is just running to the principle to "tattle" because they are such spineless wussies
30. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1551; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Apple is scared, plain and simple. As they should be
43. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 477; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Apple being the popular cheerleader b#tch, Samsung the korean exchange student who got popular by taking dress cues from Apple, Microsoft being the jock/bully and Google the nerd doing everybodies homework?
28. Ashoaib (Posts: 1213; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
This is the aim of ads to stire things in the market... if it stires apple, its not samsung's problem
41. 14545 (Posts: 1058; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Ok, I'm sorry, but since when are 5 BS patents worth 2 billion dollars? That's if they were even in infringing. This has to stop. This comment proves just how reactionary a company like apple is.
42. xfire99 (Posts: 412; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Why react now? Sammys Next Big Things ads have been out for over a year and now they get pissed?